All accepted registrations through May 16 at 7:15p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Ron Cameron In One Word:

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
borderboy653659200

Re: Ron Cameron In One Word:

Post by borderboy653659200 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:02 pm

How about Cameron's fantasy about Norm Cash's Oct .12,1986 drowning death "REALLY" (in Cameron's imagination) Cash's being drowned by debtors,a wacked-out story POSITIVELY NOBODY in Detroit believes, and which has led to Ronnie's having to broker time rather than having a regular sports show . (Cameron speaks of the late ,beloved Mark "The Bird "Fidrych's right shoulder being injured by the boys of a dirt biker whose girlfriend Fidrych was seeing,which is at least plausible because of Fidrych's randiness- he once clubbed a broad on the mound after beating a team in one of his minor league stops.)

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:22 pm

With last night’s Ted Kulfan no-show, how likely will there be a repeat tonight with Shawn Windsor?!

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:04 am

The kids that come on after Ron's show on Saturday, I think it's called Dialed in Detroit - sports talk oriented show. Well anyways they were doing the show live on facebook and they show what is going on before they hit the air for their first hour and Ron was cleaning up his area getting ready to head out of the studio. Geez he certainly has aged since the last time I seen him and he does not move around well at all. I think he's 73 or 74 perhaps but he moves around not so well. I wonder how much longer he's got it in him. It's too bad he's refused to move along with technology he could have built himself something in the podcast world like Eli, Denny, and his buddy Bob Page. I guess he'd rather keep the chip on his shoulder.

313sports

Post by 313sports » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:21 am

Boy does Ron sound saltier and more stale every weekend. It's a broken record with very few new stories. When I heard the unfortunate news about Judge Damon Keith, I knew the comments would come about "knowing" him and being a "good friend". When he hasn't talked to him in over 20 years probably. And I cringe for Matt. Just in over his head and can't keep up with the shenanigans.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:21 am

And 313sports you know that his long-ago "association" with Judge Keith had to have been negligible at best. Ron is constantly seeking to bask in the reflected glory of other's success by claiming some substantive relationship. He would regularly talk about his long friendship with then-Mets manager Terry Collins from his time as an umpire. But he gave up the ghost when he once said of Collins "he would know who I was."

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:49 am

Mono,Cameron is a fugly,minimally educated, nearly homeless, ill 74-year-old who failed at baseball umpiring,is seeing his radio career fade as younger,more wordly folk (or in far too many cases,reactionary nutjobs) abound,plus he's been on the periphery of others' greatness without experiencing it.He's the prototypical bitter old man who longs for the "good old days" (which might have been good for straight white men;not so good for the rest of us) and gets increasingly crabbier with each passing day .

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:53 am

I wonder how many of Cameron's "buddies" really want anything to do with him,as they likely know he repeatedly name-drops them. If "Married With Children" were redone, Ronnie would the perfect choice to play Al Bundy ,a shoe salesman and a dude who can't stop talking about his four-touchdown game at Polk High School.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:11 am

The classy Judge Keith,96 when he passed away Sunday (and who mentored Willie Horton,among scores of others) likely briefly encountered Cameron,and,gentleman that he was,likely engaged Ron a couple of times,leading Cameron to believe Judge Keith and he were boys. How pathetic is it that Ron,whose " life" has become basking in others' glory ,would now use a couple of chance meetings with a judicial and Civil Rights giant to bolster his claim "friendship" with Judge Keith .

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:25 pm

Cowboy, perhaps one of Ron's faithful listeners will ask Ron if he will be in attendance of Judge Keith's viewing which will take place on May 11 at the Charles Wright Museum of African- American history since he was so close I would expect him to be in attendance. It's going on all day so Ron has no excuses. Heck- perhaps we could all meet up there and then go to the Patriot Studio in Canton and you could be an in studio guest with Ron for the couple hours. It would be a very nice host-listener bonding time. Us schlubs can get your take on sports! We could also go out carousing a few of the local nightspots and keep our eyes on some of those buxom blondes as you call them.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:21 pm

As he cravenly seeks to bask in the reflected glory of others, Ron has made some rather dubious claims about his association with the deceased. In his self-serving narrative, Ron was the last person to speak to Jack Adams, Ernie Harwell’s best friend at the end of his life, and one of the few people Geordie Howe recognized deep into his dementia. Ron’s been asked whether he attended services for Harwell and/or Howe and he said no, that’s not his “thing.”

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:42 pm

I've been listening to Ron to close to 40 years, and he's the same as always. Just enjoy his act, it's that simple. Enjoy his interviews with Charlie Maxwell, Paul Foytack, and others. His interview last week with Phil Regan was quite good. Regan is an excellent guest with lots of stories, and he's' still working with the Mets in spring training. One note from the past was worth a chuckle: When Ron was interviewing Charlie Maxwell a couple of years ago on WDFN, Maxwell remarked it was good to be interviewed once again on WJR. When Ron informed him he's on WDFN not WJR, you could tell Maxwell was a bit crestfallen. My son and I got a giggle out of that one!

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:49 am

Mr. Transistor,let me assure you that the buxom blondes would be averting my gaze . I'd LOVE to be Ron's in-studio guest,though since I don't drive,I'd have to get one of my motoring buddies to bring me to the studio . (I met Cameron in '84 in a Walkerville-near-East-Side Windsor-bar called Kozak's By The Sea ,and his guest was an agent whose name I've long forgotten,ironic since Cameron,then as now,despises agents,notably Scott Boras,whom Ron dubs, "BORE-A**.")

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:04 am

JGP1954, Regan was my cousin Fergie Jenkins' Cubs teammate from 1968-72. (Next time Regan is Cameron's guest,I'll ask him what it was like to play for the rather rambunctious Leo Durocher .) Also,Regan managed the 1995 Orioles, for whom Brady Anderson hit 16 homers and drove in 64 runs ;next season, a muscle-bound Anderson hit FIFTY homers,with 110 RBI FROM LEADOFF. (What a waste of power,Johnny Oates,though you'll be reading my opinion from Pearly Gates Field.) When I asked Regan if he thought Anderson's one-season power surge was PEDs-related, Regan didn't rule out Brady's
possible (?) involvement,but also said that even in '95,Anderson was hitting more flies in an attempt for more homers .

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:07 am

Maxwell is ninety-two,so can be forgiven for confusing the Patriot for WJR .

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:14 am

Excuse me,the VERY ALIVE Davey Johnson skippered the '96 Orioles and "slugger" Brady Anderson .(Wonder if Johnson raised a Spockian eyebrow at Brady's bopping ?)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic