All accepted registrations through September 8 at 11:45a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Ron Cameron In One Word:

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
borderboy653659200

Re: Ron Cameron In One Word:

Post by borderboy653659200 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:50 am

fuzzpower,I'm with you,as Cameron has complained about WPON's management for about three years .

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:56 am

Momo wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:01 am
Mr. Transistor, maybe it finally dawned on Sima that Cameron was making up questions from an imaginary audience of listeners.
Wait...are we talking about the questions that get e-mailed in from “the insurance offices” where the workers were supposedly listening from their cubicles!

Momo

Re: Ron Cameron In One Word

Post by Momo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:20 am

Yes, Uncleb67, the questions from the insurance company. Not e-mails, but supposedly phone calls for him before the start of the show. The seeming cast of thousands - each week there were different names - who could listen during the show, but were only allowed to call in their questions before the show began. I once, some time ago, attempted to call before the show began and got no answer, begging the question of how these questions were asked. On another occasion, at the start of the show, I told his screener that I was calling from the insurance company with a question. When he said he would put me on the air, I reminded him that I was calling from the insurance company so I could not go on the air. One year, his show fell on Christmas so I waited to see if he would try to get away with this artifice on this occasion. Sure enough, he did. I called and told him I know knew the name of the insurance company. It was the Scrooge Company, I said. Not only did it make its workers work on Christmas, but even on this day they were not allowed to call in during the show! He uncomfortably changed the subject.

uncleb67

Re: Ron Cameron In One Word

Post by uncleb67 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:09 pm

Momo wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:20 am
Yes, Uncleb67, the questions from the insurance company. Not e-mails, but supposedly phone calls for him before the start of the show. The seeming cast of thousands - each week there were different names - who could listen during the show, but were only allowed to call in their questions before the show began. I once, some time ago, attempted to call before the show began and got no answer, begging the question of how these questions were asked. On another occasion, at the start of the show, I told his screener that I was calling from the insurance company with a question. When he said he would put me on the air, I reminded him that I was calling from the insurance company so I could not go on the air. One year, his show fell on Christmas so I waited to see if he would try to get away with this artifice on this occasion. Sure enough, he did. I called and told him I know knew the name of the insurance company. It was the Scrooge Company, I said. Not only did it make its workers work on Christmas, but even on this day they were not allowed to call in during the show! He uncomfortably changed the subject.
That’s some funny stuff!

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:23 am

Mark Steven "The Bird," "The Polish Prince," Fidrych, Aug. 14,1954-Apr. 13,2009 !!!!! RIP,Birdman!!!!!

313sports

Post by 313sports » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:24 am

Anytime it's Ron with Matt open line for both hours like it was Saturday, it's a hard listen. Add a halfway decent guest or even Alex there, and It's decent.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:23 am

"Decent" is quite a stretch, 313sports, when it comes to describing this utter train wreck. A (very) rare decent guest like Mark Wilson and/or Alex's presence helps, but it's like putting lipstick on a pig as long as Ron's involved. He's so ill-informed, petty, vengeful, narcissistic. Hmmm, who does he so remind me of?!

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:07 am

You better NOT say You-Know-Who,or Yours Truly will have to lay the Brady Breaker on you!!!!!

313sports

Post by 313sports » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:18 pm

Momo wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:23 am
"Decent" is quite a stretch, 313sports, when it comes to describing this utter train wreck. A (very) rare decent guest like Mark Wilson and/or Alex's presence helps, but it's like putting lipstick on a pig as long as Ron's involved. He's so ill-informed, petty, vengeful, narcissistic. Hmmm, who does he so remind me of?!
Good points. The pettiness comes across talking about Bob Page. Even Denny said that the relationship should be worked on. I feel bad for all of his producers though, no idea how they manage to deal with him.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:27 am

One of my favorite Cameron stories involves his promotion of an upcoming guest, Jim Northrup. As regular listeners know, Ron fills air space (when not reading box scores, that is) constantly promoting future guests (many, if not most, of whom NEVER materialize). In Northrup's case, the hyping up his appearance began, of course, weeks earlier, and continued every couple of minutes the first hour of the show. After the news break, and following a period of silence, Ron announced that Jim Northrup would not be on the show that day because "his wife said he has Alzheimer's." You simply cannot write this stuff! Northrup would be dead of Alzheimer's within a month.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:13 am

313sports wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:18 pm
Momo wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:23 am
Good points. The pettiness comes across talking about Bob Page. Even Denny said that the relationship should be worked on. I feel bad for all of his producers though, no idea how they manage to deal with him.
He's very jealous that Bob Page was better known nationally than he ever was or could be. Denny had some very wise words for Ron about patching up that relationship. Ron is a very selfish, bitter fella and doesn't sound like he takes advice too well. Alex is the only one that knows how to handle him by giving it right back to him. He makes that show happen otherwise it's a complete train wreck. I listened the 1st hour last Saturday and couldn't take it anymore. I didn't listen Sunday, I don't care for Marc Wilson combined with no Alex makes a bad show in my humble opinion. One day we'll read about Ron taking his bitterness to the grave.

Warriorstrong13610

Post by Warriorstrong13610 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Did anybody hear Alex on the show after Ron’s show about 2 or 3 weeks ago? I wouldn’t mind him being either on that show or him getting his own.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:15 pm

Warriorstrong13610, if Alex or anyone else is interested, there's now a 2-hour block of air time available Friday morning from 9-11 on WPON. I understand you can buy time there for as little as about $200 an hour.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:11 pm

$200 an hour? It used to be $100.

313sports

Post by 313sports » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:26 pm

Warriorstrong13610 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:27 pm
Did anybody hear Alex on the show after Ron’s show about 2 or 3 weeks ago? I wouldn’t mind him being either on that show or him getting his own.
Honestly it was entertaining. Great college basketball discussion with a more organized and thought-out format. No callers but still had a good show. Ron with no callers is lost and can't create content unless Alex does. He got the opportunity to share a full thought or 2 and it came off well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic