Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Major snowstorm brewing

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
audiophile

Re: Major snowstorm brewing

Post by audiophile » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:28 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:13 pm
My very first general forecast of 6 to 10 inches region wide might prove to be the most accurate!

My updated ranges:
- 6 to 9 inches for Lansing and Flint (no change).
- 6 to 9 inches for Oakland and Macomb (reduced from 7 to 10).
- 7 to 10 inches for I-94 corridor (reduced from 8 to 12).
- 8 to 11 inches for border counties in Michigan and for Toledo area (reduced from 10 to 12 or 10 to 14 inches).

Vast majority of snow in nearly all areas will fall today or tonight. Most of Metro Detroit will see only 1 to 2 inches of new accumulation tomorrow. Closer to the state line, up to 4 inches will be possible.
My co-worker actually nailed it!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:33 pm

The wetness of the snow is partially responsible for reduced totals.

The bad news? This crap is a pain in the ass to shovel. I've got a snow blower fortunately, and I plan on doing two rounds of snow removal due to the heftiness of the snow - one early this evening and another tomorrow.

Young kids should like this snow; it is very packable.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:34 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
My very first general forecast of 6 to 10 inches region wide might prove to be the most accurate!

My updated ranges:
- 8 to 11 inches for border counties in Michigan and for Toledo area (reduced from 10 to 12 or 10 to 14 inches).

Vast majority of snow in nearly all areas will fall today or tonight. Most of Metro Detroit will see only 1 to 2 inches of new accumulation tomorrow. Closer to the state line, up to 4 inches will be possible.
This snow is falling randomly it would seem…
White Lake and Grand Blanc are at 3 inches. Flint is at 6.9 inches (!). Clio is at 5 and Flushing at 5.5 inches. But then down this way it’s still 1-2. All totals as of 12-1pm.

G G

Post by G G » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:27 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:34 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

My updated ranges:

This snow is falling randomly it would seem…
White Lake and Grand Blanc are at 3 inches. Flint is at 6.9 inches (!). Clio is at 5 and Flushing at 5.5 inches. But then down this way it’s still 1-2. All totals as of 12-1pm.
We need to get more down here. I love the snow. Flint is lucky. I can't remember the last time I saw 7 inches.
Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:58 pm

I remember getting dumped on last February. At one point, there was 14 or 15 inches of snow depth here. Then, by February 27, it reached the upper 50s. (Warm front didn't move through until 2p in the afternoon, and once it did, the mercury soared. Some locations reached the low 60s that day.)

March turned out to be an unusually mild month after a very cold and snowy February.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:49 pm

It seems like the last few years, February has been worse for weather that January.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:58 pm

Willie108 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:49 pm
It seems like the last few years, February has been worse for weather that January.
This just lends credence to my theory that it seems like everything is getting pushed up a month. It feels like summer is lasting longer, winter doesn't push in until January, and it doesn't start really getting/staying warm until we're into June. I could just be nuts, but it just doesn't feel like the seasons are coming in when they used to. It could be my biases as an outdoor worker, too.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:22 pm

Snowfall reports from around the region; times vary significantly by location:
https://www.weather.gov/source/crh/snowmap.html?sid=dtx

Looking at the most recent reports, the highest totals are East Lansing (10.4 inches), Hillsdale (10 inches - although I'm skeptical about this one), Flint Bishop Airport (9 inches), Galesburg (near Kalamazoo - 9.5 inches), Battle Creek (9 inches) and Clio (9.5 inches). Totals drop rapidly from M-46 northward.

The Toledo and Monroe areas were spared by the very late conversion from rain to snow. The heaviest snow swath extended from the south side of Chicago - through South Bend - and then through Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, Lansing and Flint. This streak of heaviest snow from round #1 of this double barreled storm system set up a good 30 to 50 miles farther north than what was expected yesterday.

Round #2 now looks like it will be almost entirely an Indiana and Ohio event and will be not nearly as strong of a system as depicted on model runs from early this week.

The super heavy totals that had been forecast along the Michigan border counties, northern Indiana and NW Ohio had assumed (i) a significant overlapping of the Wednesday and Thursday storm tracks, (ii) quicker change over from rain to snow than what actually occurred in terms of areas near & east of US-23 and (iii) a Thursday storm system at least as potent as Wednesday's system.

Instead, the two storm tracks have materially diverged and Thursday's system (even for the areas in Ohio in its path) looks significantly weaker than first feared.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:29 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:58 pm
Willie108 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:49 pm
This just lends credence to my theory that it seems like everything is getting pushed up a month. It feels like summer is lasting longer, winter doesn't push in until January, and it doesn't start really getting/staying warm until we're into June. I could just be nuts, but it just doesn't feel like the seasons are coming in when they used to. It could be my biases as an outdoor worker, too.
I’ve noticed the exact same thing actually so it’s not just you… instead of coming at the beginning of December (meteorological winter) it seems to come around December 21st (Calender winter). Same for the other seasons. Instead of the beginning of that month it’s whenever the solstice is.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:38 pm

Spring is the exception. Past two months of March were very mild with little to zero snow. We had 9 or 10 days last March in Detroit with high temps in the 60s or low 70s. Past two months of May were unusually cold. We had a high temp on May 26 or 27 last year of just 46 degrees!

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:49 pm

It's a good thing schools canceled classes Wed morning, I mean geez, the busses running in 40 degree weather and the rain, OMG the kids waiting at the bus stops in the rain...so glad school was canceled Wed morning...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:56 pm

In fairness, the cancellations were due to anticipated horrible road conditions in the afternoon.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:02 pm

lidoshuffle wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:49 pm
It's a good thing schools canceled classes Wed morning, I mean geez, the busses running in 40 degree weather and the rain, OMG the kids waiting at the bus stops in the rain...so glad school was canceled Wed morning...
I am a school bus driver. Getting kids to school is only half the job. We need to get them home 8 hours later. This morning would have been easy. Not as easy this afternoon. I've had, on a couple occasions, a 45 minute route take 180 minutes to run because snow got bad as the day progressed. Five of my 30 miles are on unpaved roads that probably don't get plowing priority.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:25 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:02 pm
lidoshuffle wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:49 pm
I am a school bus driver. Getting kids to school is only half the job. We need to get them home 8 hours later. This morning would have been easy. Not as easy this afternoon. I've had, on a couple occasions, a 45 minute route take 180 minutes to run because snow got bad as the day progressed. Five of my 30 miles are on unpaved roads that probably don't get plowing priority.
Depending on which area of town you’re in they may not get plowed at all around there. If you don’t already I highly recommend you make use of the mud/snow button on the right control panel above the radio. It’s a godsend in those buses.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic