Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Momo

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Momo » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:52 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:58 pm
Momo wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:54 pm
When Frank Garza is a guest, I hope he’s asked if he ever refereed a fight involving Lane Staal, the boxer Ron once managed. I don’t think Ron will be too happy to hear this name from his past.
He did, twice, including Staal's only loss.

https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/485345

(I had to log in through Facebook)

Garza's also mentioned on Staal's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Lane-The-Pain- ... 966231106/

So I'd say that there's a very good chance that Staal's name will come up. :D
If so, I’m calling a lot of harrumphing from Ron!

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:54 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:49 pm
Here's an interesting take on Ron. It was published on June 1, 1997 in the Detroit Sunday Journal, a newspaper launched by journalists who went on strike from the News and Free Press in 1995 and didn't go back.

It's an article about how Detroit became the hockey capital of the world, just before the Red Wings won the first of their four Stanley Cups in the 1990s and 2000s. The article lists the "people, events and things that transformed a major American metropolis into the world’s capitale du hockey."

"Ron Cameron: Before there was The Fan radio, there was the self described Super Fan on the radio. Cameron might have been bombastic and crude, but he was perhaps the only sportscaster in town who took hockey seriously in the late 1970s and early 1980s when he talked daily on then-WXYZ-AM. He did three things most sportscasters don’t do today: He broke stories, criticized players and spoke intelligently about hockey."

https://digital.library.wayne.edu/item/ ... /HTML_FULL
The best press I’ve ever seen Ron get.

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:58 pm

That was some good press! It always wondered me why a PD never gave the guy a call when their sports station went on the air. Think about it. The Fan hired The Mega Man at nights. That would have been a great spot for Ron. When WCAR went sports, Ron would have been a better at a more consistent spot than whatever air time he bought. Even 105.1 - he could have been the Pat Caputo of Saturday and Sunday mornings.

For what the guy is, he’s not vanilla. People like that.

edj

Post by edj » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:05 pm

I forgot all about that paper! I remember the strike well.

Ron’s not a jock sniffer. No way he would take a paying job even if offered. Bumming free meals for spots is where it’s at!

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:06 am

edj wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:05 pm
I forgot all about that paper! I remember the strike well.

Ron’s not a jock sniffer. No way he would take a paying job even if offered. Bumming free meals for spots is where it’s at!
I remember that paper, as well! It is kinda funny how R-Sizzle likes to go on about Tom Gores (and others) being jock sniffers, when he likes to point out how he took various athletes to their first hockey/baseball game (like these guys really needed “Scoop”
to get them some ducats!), his infatuation with the Lidle family, his vacation friend, Gabe Kapler, and his myriad of roommates.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:38 am

windsorjoe wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:58 pm
That was some good press! It always wondered me why a PD never gave the guy a call when their sports station went on the air. Think about it. The Fan hired The Mega Man at nights. That would have been a great spot for Ron. When WCAR went sports, Ron would have been a better at a more consistent spot than whatever air time he bought. Even 105.1 - he could have been the Pat Caputo of Saturday and Sunday mornings.

For what the guy is, he’s not vanilla. People like that.
It would be interesting for Ron to channel his knowledge of hockey into a book, maybe on the Ilitch or Joe Louis Arena era of Red Wings hockey. Hockey is obviously Ron's favorite sport. When he talks about it, there's an enthusiasm and level of detail that you don't see when he talks about other sports.

A good collobarator would be Rich Kincaide. Rich could probably use a new project to help him move on after the death of his wife, and could probably push Ron to commit to a writing project.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:07 pm

I wonder if Ron’s passion for hockey and the wings come from him being able to go to games as part of press? Does not sound like he goes to other games like he does for the wings?

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:17 pm

Rod Allen’s reemergence in the news, accompanied by reports of the incident that ended the Tigers broadcasting tenure of Rod & Mario Impemba, reminded me how oblivious our Scoop has long been, even in his press box perch. Although it was rather apparent to even the casual viewer that Rod & Mario had, at best, a distant relationship, Ron acknowledged he was completely clueless when the duo's volatile relationship became publicly known.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:02 pm

On the 50th anniversary of the release of The Godfather, here is the only thing that would make Ron buy another restaurant.

Ed Klee

Post by Ed Klee » Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:52 pm

I awake every single day, anticipating what will be written on this timeless thread, I enjoy this panel of experts and various Ron related topics. Definitely keeps all things Ron in our daily existence. :lol :lol
I am ordinary American!

jsf

Post by jsf » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:21 pm

Why when people talk about the real early days of sport talk radio no one brings up Dave Diles who was on back in the middle 70's? I enjoyed that show and he had on lot's of guest's, and I think he was on way before RC started.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:34 pm

jsf wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:21 pm
Why when people talk about the real early days of sport talk radio no one brings up Dave Diles who was on back in the middle 70's? I enjoyed that show and he had on lot's of guest's, and I think he was on way before RC started.
Yes, he was on in the late 60s. Whenever his name comes up, Ron tries to make it sound like he was the first person to do a full-time sports talk show in Detroit, not Dave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Camer ... ster)#WXYZ

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:51 pm

jsf wrote:
With all of Ron's in-house attorneys, you're in for a world of hurt, jsf, if you persist with this heresy.

Ed Klee

Post by Ed Klee » Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:12 pm

With all of Ron's in-house attorneys, you're in for a world of hurt, jsf, if you persist with this heresy.

I was hoping you would have said Restaurants, because I like to eat!
I am ordinary American!

Majik

Post by Majik » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:03 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:34 pm
jsf wrote:
Yes, he was on in the late 60s. Whenever his name comes up, Ron tries to make it sound like he was the first person to do a full-time sports talk show in Detroit, not Dave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Camer ... ster)#WXYZ
Diles was a pro. Ron is a buffoon. 50 years in the business and his shows have a production value worse than high school stations.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic