Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 29 at 11:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Rate This

Re: Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Post by Rate This » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:03 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:57 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:40 am
I think my bathroom is bigger than their crappy newsroom-style set:

https://www.nexttv.com/features/cbs-new ... -to-launch

We get to look at a polished concrete floor and a workstation in the background with about four PC docking stations on it.

The area to the left looks like an office lobby or waiting area. The only thing that is missing is the reception desk. I guess that's what they'll use for interviews? Is that what we'll see in the background when the anchor seated on the left side of the anchor desk is on camera? An empty table and chairs?

This is going to be such a colossal dud. Too bad, because a number of the people they hired are talented. The way they configured that space is beyond idiotic.
Indeed, WWJ newscasts won’t be traditional, and they won’t be overly polished. “We’re showing the public that people are working,” Watson said. “We’re Detroiters. We’re gritty.”
The "non-traditional" formula almost always fails in epic fashion. See FOX 46 in Charlotte, or better yet, WXYZ's first year doing the 10PM news on channel 20 (man, was that cringe worthy).

Hey, maybe 62 can bring back Rob Parker's "Barbershop Sports." :rollin

I get what you are saying. However, I’m just going to keep an open mind. CBS did invest millions in this. So I think it could eventually catch on. As a start up, it will be a right fit for it. However, I do think think that their newscasts will eventually be exactly like the other CBS O&Os. They spent way too much money to give up on this after one or two years. Unlike 20 years ago, CBS is heavily invested in this.

I remember how rough it was for WOIO in early 1995. It took years for them to find their audience.
One of the big issues is that it can’t feel small market or half-finished… in that shot it looks like it’s under-construction and that big area needs to be filled in yet or something. It’s odd.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:04 am

Multi million dollar investments can be flops. Look.at CBS Radio's attempt at doing all news on 99.1 FM in the DC area.

I agree this effort won't be abandoned. However, I predict within two years there will be a major do-over.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:00 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:04 am
Multi million dollar investments can be flops. Look.at CBS Radio's attempt at doing all news on 99.1 FM in the DC area.

I agree this effort won't be abandoned. However, I predict within two years there will be a major do-over.

I think having a newsroom as a news set is intentional. I don’t think they can compete with Fox 2, Local 4, or Channel 7 if they are exactly like them. So, they have to be different. One thing I’ve learned in following broadcasting and even studying to be a journalist years ago, one has to find its audience. I think that’s what CBS is doing here. I have mixed feelings about the whole set up, but I’ll keep an open mind. I won’t be shocked if there’s a major revamp in a few years. They’ve spent way too much money to go back now.
Last edited by Deleted User 7620 on Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:56 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:00 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

I think having a newsroom as a news set is intentional. I don’t think they can compete with Fox 2, Local 4, or Channel 7 if they are exactly like them. So, they have to be different. One think I’ve learned in following broadcasting and even studying to be a journalist years ago, one has to find its audience. I think that’s what CBS is doing here. I have mixed feelings about the whole set up, but I’ll keep an open mind. I won’t be shocked if there’s a major revamp in a few years. They’ve spent way too much money to go back now.
Who do you suppose the audience is?

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:46 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:56 am
CircleWXYZ wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

I think having a newsroom as a news set is intentional. I don’t think they can compete with Fox 2, Local 4, or Channel 7 if they are exactly like them. So, they have to be different. One think I’ve learned in following broadcasting and even studying to be a journalist years ago, one has to find its audience. I think that’s what CBS is doing here. I have mixed feelings about the whole set up, but I’ll keep an open mind. I won’t be shocked if there’s a major revamp in a few years. They’ve spent way too much money to go back now.
My guess is, they are targeting the 30-64 demographic. This is based on who’ve they hired so far. Could be wrong though. We will find out next month.

Speaking of debuts, I wonder when in January will this finally be on the air. I have my suspicions, but I wonder what others think.
Last edited by Deleted User 7620 on Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:25 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:46 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:56 am
CircleWXYZ wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

My guess is, they are targeting the 30-64 demographic. This is based on who’ve they hired so far. Could be wrong though. We will find our next month.

Speaking of debuts, I wonder when in January will this finally be on the air. I have my suspicions, but I wonder what others think.
Probably the 2nd. Get it going right after the holiday on a Monday.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:47 pm

If a table with a whopping four PC docking stations counts as a newsroom, then 62 has the most pitifully undersized newsroom among the top 50 markets.

I like newsroom centric sets when they are done right.

My first impressions of this one, though, are very low. Hopefully that isn't the finished product in its entirety.

I loved the WKBD look of the late 80s.

SD45

Post by SD45 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:17 am

Im out on this endeavor. I finally got around to watching a few clips on YouTube. The current product looks like an NBC 25 newscast. I guess it fits on how many WNEM and WEYI alums they hired.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:17 pm

Actually, their promotions have been good thus far. Their hires are all really good. They just need more promotions, that’s all. Remember, some of this market’s top talent came from small markers. Look at Glenda Lewis and even Huel Perkins, who is now retired. This may be a pleasant surprise.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:19 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:17 pm
Actually, their promotions have been good thus far. Their hires are all really good. They just need more promotions, that’s all. Remember, some of this market’s top talent came from small markers. Look at Glenda Lewis and even Huel Perkins, who is now retired. This may be a pleasant surprise.
Glenda Lewis came from Flint… fair enough. Huel Perkins came from St. Louis…. Maybe you should use Jason Colthorp? Didn’t he come from Lansing?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:15 am

Kiertzner and Meloni both came from Flint - Saginaw, as did Roop Raj. All are very good.

Colthorp came from WILX.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:36 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:19 pm
CircleWXYZ wrote:
Glenda Lewis came from Flint… fair enough. Huel Perkins came from St. Louis…. Maybe you should use Jason Colthorp? Didn’t he come from Lansing?
Before KSDK in St Louis, he was at WVLA in Baton Rouge, LA. He said he started in a small market in LA when I met him years ago.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:50 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:36 am
Rate This wrote:
CircleWXYZ wrote:
Before KSDK in St Louis, he was at WVLA in Baton Rouge, LA. He said he started in a small market in LA when I met him years ago.
But that’s what almost everybody in the business does… I suggested Colthorp because he is decent and came DIRECTLY from a small market.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:36 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:50 am
CircleWXYZ wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:36 am
Rate This wrote:
CircleWXYZ wrote:
But that’s what almost everybody in the business does… I suggested Colthorp because he is decent and came DIRECTLY from a small market.

👍👍👍👍👍

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:13 pm

They’ve already hired two reporters in a week’s time. They are obviously close to launch. Don’t be shocked if it debuts 1/2/2023 or even 1/9/2023.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic