Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Thoughts on the Current State and Potential Future of Detroit Radio

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
billmich88888

Re: Thoughts on the Current State and Potential Future of Detroit Radio

Post by billmich88888 » Fri May 24, 2024 9:20 am

47 million OLD people

Majik

Post by Majik » Fri May 24, 2024 9:45 am

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know when was the last time WJR topped the ratings? I would guess it has been well over 10 years if not 20.

Deleted User 16378

Post by Deleted User 16378 » Fri May 24, 2024 9:52 am

billmich88888 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:20 am
47 million OLD people
And you will always be a young person? You will be old someday, so just actually what is your point?

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Fri May 24, 2024 11:33 am

my point is that my purchasing habits are not as easily swayed by advertising compared to younger people.
therefore the ad $$ don't follow me like they once did

i have decided coke v pepsi
mcdonalds v burger king

and the zillion other brand loyal things..

plus if you don't have people filling the pipeline (youngsters) then your back end will die off and you'll be left with nothing

Deleted User 16378

Post by Deleted User 16378 » Fri May 24, 2024 12:11 pm

billmich88888 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 11:33 am
my point is that my purchasing habits are not as easily swayed by advertising compared to younger people.
therefore the ad $$ don't follow me like they once did

i have decided coke v pepsi
mcdonalds v burger king

and the zillion other brand loyal things..

plus if you don't have people filling the pipeline (youngsters) then your back end will die off and you'll be left with nothing
Got it. Well, when we die off it would be someone else’s problem.

sizzlechest

Post by sizzlechest » Fri May 24, 2024 12:25 pm

Paul Richards wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:52 am
billmich88888 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 9:20 am
47 million OLD people
And you will always be a young person? You will be old someday, so just actually what is your point?
This reminded me of something. Yesterday I happened to be listening to WJR, and a certain older host was going on and on about how Channel 4 can't go on without Bernie. "HE'S AN INSTITUTION on that channel." I'd never heard anything more ironic in my life.

Radiobirdman

Post by Radiobirdman » Fri May 24, 2024 1:21 pm

Maybe 15 years ago the "death" of the print magazine was considered common knowledge; everything would be going digital. But have you seen the magazine selection lately in Barnes & Noble or Books-a-Million? There must be 1,000 titles. Many people still like to read physical books and magazines. How did they survive? They became more specialized with lower circulation and keeping/creating a loyal readership. So perhaps with radio. As corporations abandon AM radio (and FM as well) we may see successful broadcasting to a smaller and distinctive audience. We are already seeing this with ethnic radio where a radio station becomes a lifeline to a growing ethnic community, be it Vietnamese, Korean, Indian, etc. (See CHLO in Canada, WPBS in Atlanta, etc.)

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Fri May 24, 2024 1:25 pm

or proliferation of Jesus-Radio

Deleted User 16378

Post by Deleted User 16378 » Fri May 24, 2024 1:42 pm

Radiobirdman wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 1:21 pm
Maybe 15 years ago the "death" of the print magazine was considered common knowledge; everything would be going digital. But have you seen the magazine selection lately in Barnes & Noble or Books-a-Million? There must be 1,000 titles. Many people still like to read physical books and magazines. How did they survive? They became more specialized with lower circulation and keeping/creating a loyal readership. So perhaps with radio. As corporations abandon AM radio (and FM as well) we may see successful broadcasting to a smaller and distinctive audience. We are already seeing this with ethnic radio where a radio station becomes a lifeline to a growing ethnic community, be it Vietnamese, Korean, Indian, etc. (See CHLO in Canada, WPBS in Atlanta, etc.)
You are thinking the same as me. Radio will eventually be given back to the people and not big corporations. The return of the smaller owners will happen as soon as big corporations sell off their radio inventory and strictly stream their products. I do see that happening in 10 more years maybe sooner.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic