Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
radiofan1974

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by radiofan1974 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:02 pm

Bummer AA is rebroadcast

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:14 pm

Momo wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:49 pm
Caller #8: Keith, who missed Ron at Ram's Horn this morning. Ron's going there right after the show.
Just for the fun of it, I drove up to the Ram's Horn to see if I'd run into Ron. Sure enough, there he was, eating an omelette and reading the sports section of the Detroit Free Press.

After he was done eating, I walked over and introduced myself as one of his radio listeners. We then had a friendly conversation about different things.

I mentioned several of his old restaurants that I'd visited, including his bar on Grand River in the mid-1980s. "What a dump that was!" said Ron.

He talked about Keith from Oak Park being at the restaurant earlier. I said, "Oh, he's the one who's always talking about Sergei Federov." We both laughed.

We were talking about some of his recent advertisers, and I had to suppress a big grin when he asked me if I had a copy of the most recent Yellow Pages. I said that I didn't think I had received one since 2022, but when I got home, I found one that was dated June 2023.

I asked about his knee surgery, and mentioned that my father had the same surgery at about the same time as Ron. He looked like he was about ready to leave, so I wished him good luck with his rehab and paid my bill. On the way home, I bought a Blizzard at the local Dairy Queen, so Ron's Friday show inspired me to visit two different restaurants.

Ron seems to enjoy visiting with his listeners at the Ram's Horn, if you're interested in meeting him.

sparty89

Post by sparty89 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:23 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:14 pm
Momo wrote:
Caller #8: Keith, who missed Ron at Ram's Horn this morning. Ron's going there right after the show.
Just for the fun of it, I drove up to the Ram's Horn to see if I'd run into Ron. Sure enough, there he was, eating an omelette and reading the sports section of the Detroit Free Press.

After he was done eating, I walked over and introduced myself as one of his radio listeners. We then had a friendly conversation about different things.

I mentioned several of his old restaurants that I'd visited, including his bar on Grand River in the mid-1980s. "What a dump that was!" said Ron.

He talked about Keith from Oak Park being at the restaurant earlier. I said, "Oh, he's the one who's always talking about Sergei Federov." We both laughed.

We were talking about some of his recent advertisers, and I had to suppress a big grin when he asked me if I had a copy of the most recent Yellow Pages. I said that I didn't think I had received one since 2022, but when I got home, I found one that was dated June 2023.

I asked about his knee surgery, and mentioned that my father had the same surgery at about the same time as Ron. He looked like he was about ready to leave, so I wished him good luck with his rehab and paid my bill. On the way home, I bought a Blizzard at the local Dairy Queen, so Ron's Friday show inspired me to visit two different restaurants.

Ron seems to enjoy visiting with his listeners at the Ram's Horn, if you're interested in meeting him.
How could you resist ordering a strawberry sundae?

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:49 pm

sparty89 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:23 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Momo wrote:

How could you resist ordering a strawberry sundae?
I did that after last week's show. :)

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:58 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Momo wrote:

If only I had more advance notice of when he’ll next be holding court at Ram’s Horn. I so wish someone would let him know of my June 2023 Yellow Pages - increasingly obsolete by the day - that awaits him at the library.

I trust Ron - being who he is - didn’t show the common courtesy of asking after your father. How is your father doing?

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:02 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Momo wrote:

Sounds like it was a very cordial encounter-Bobbert could you be the change in Rons view of the buzzboard!

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:10 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:02 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Momo wrote:

Sounds like it was a very cordial encounter-Bobbert could you be the change in Rons view of the buzzboard!
This was the second friendly encounter with the Buzzboard in the last few months, following Momo's encounter at the library, so maybe. If Martin reads this and tells Ron who he was talking with, I'm hoping that Ron responds with his ironic "Really?"

Majik

Post by Majik » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:15 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Bobbert wrote:
Momo wrote:

Yeah, if only Bobbert had picked up his tab, it would have sealed the deal.

Dan in Northville

Post by Dan in Northville » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:17 pm

Bobbert, you missed a golden opportunity to ask "Ron, what are YOU doing here"?

Also, think about it..............you could have paid for his lunch, then he'd REALLY owe you.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:18 pm

Momo wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:58 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Momo wrote:

If only I had more advance notice of when he’ll next be holding court at Ram’s Horn. I so wish someone would let him know of my June 2023 Yellow Pages - increasingly obsolete by the day - that awaits him at the library.

I trust Ron - being who he is - didn’t show the common courtesy of asking after your father. How is your father doing?
My father's doing pretty well with his recovery. Certainly better than Ron, who seemed unhappy with his physical progress. He also repeated what he said on the air about wishing he hadn't done it, because of the lost ad revenue.

I had to get used to the fact that he's not as young and energetic as the last time I saw him, 25 years ago. Much more subdued, but still with that Cameron-esque burst of commentary.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:22 pm

Dan in Northville wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:17 pm
Bobbert, you missed a golden opportunity to ask "Ron, what are YOU doing here"?

Also, think about it..............you could have paid for his lunch, then he'd REALLY owe you.
I confess that I wanted to see if he'd pay for his lunch, to confirm our suspicions that he barters for some of his advertising. But he was still relaxing with his paper when I left, so I didn't get the chance.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:24 pm

Majik wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:15 pm
radiofan1974 wrote:
Bobbert wrote:
Momo wrote:

That thought did pass my mind, to pay Ron back for many decades of entertainment, but then I realized that he probably gets his meals free.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:45 pm

On this superbowl eve, kind of a bummer with Ron on one day and no games played at that time. We miss out on his superbowl extravaganza/play by play show tomorrow

Those shows were always a who’s who of guests

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:11 am

Bobbert wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:24 pm
Majik wrote:
radiofan1974 wrote:
Bobbert wrote:
Momo wrote:

That thought did pass my mind, to pay Ron back for many decades of entertainment, but then I realized that he probably gets his meals free.
With Ron's meals surely comped, I wonder if he bothers to tip his server. I doubt it.

Majik

Post by Majik » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:01 pm

Momo wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:11 am
Bobbert wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:24 pm
Majik wrote:
radiofan1974 wrote:
Bobbert wrote:
Momo wrote:

With Ron's meals surely comped, I wonder if he bothers to tip his server. I doubt it.
You might be right, but I’m gonna cut him some slack and say he tips either 10% or $0.02.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic