Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Momo

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Momo » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:48 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:59 pm
This is a trailer for a movie that I think would make a good template for a movie about Ron Cameron. Similarities include the exaggerated sense of self importance and the abusive treatment of assistants. The series of "I AM THE GREAT RON CAMERON" vignettes by Willie108 would give us a good start on this project.

It's gonna be a tall order, Bobbert, to make the great Ron Cameron hip. That long-discussed 30 for 30 profile would be a start.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:57 pm

Cub reporter Petzgold is reporting lots of comings & goings in the Tigers' organization. The unmentioned Ron Colangelo appears secure in his post. If only Ron had Chris Ilitch's number ...

"First base coach Alfredo Amézaga will not return to the Detroit Tigers' coaching staff in the 2024 season, according to several industry sources. He was a part of the coaching staff for about 13 months, beginning in September 2022.

While there could be further changes to manager A.J. Hinch's coaching staff, the core of the group — pitching and hitting coaches — is expected to stay intact.

The Tigers were contacted but would not confirm any coaching staff changes.

Amézaga, 45, played nine MLB seasons and was Miguel Cabrera's teammate with the Florida Marlins in 2006 and 2007. He began his coaching career with the Atlanta Braves in 2019, then joined the Tigers in 2022.

Amézaga joined the Tigers' organization as the Triple-A Toledo first base coach, latched on with Hinch's coaching staff for the final month of the 2022 season and returned for the entire 2023 season. He coached first base and trained the infielders.

Amézaga and Cabrera share a close relationship.

In April 2023, Amézaga was announced as the new manager of Tomateros de Culicán in the Mexican Pacific Winter League. The regular season in Mexico's winter league began in mid-October and runs through the end of December, with the postseason in January.

As for Amézaga's replacement, the Tigers have expressed interest in Double-A Erie manager Gabe Alvarez. It's unclear if Alvarez has already been interviewed for the job. The 49-year-old former MLB infielder managed the SeaWolves for the past two seasons.

He won the 2023 Eastern League championship and was named the 2023 Eastern League Manager of the Year.

Alvarez, who previously served as an assistant coach at USC for 11 seasons, has worked with several notable players in the Tigers' organization, including Colt Keith, Jace Jung, Dillon Dingler, Wenceel Pérez, Justice Bigbie, Kerry Carpenter, Parker Meadows, Reese Olson, Brendan White, Sawyer Gipson-Long, Keider Montero, Ty Madden and Dylan Smith.

In 2013-14, Alvarez developed a relationship with Tigers vice president of development Ryan Garko on the recruiting trail at Pac-12 baseball programs. At the time, Alvarez was an assistant coach at USC and Garko was an assistant coach at Stanford.

"Gabe is a very smart, hard worker, and we knew what we were getting with him when he got here," Garko, whom the Tigers hired in September 2021, told the Erie Times-News about Alvarez in 2022. "He's very good at developing relationships with the players, and they trust him. He buys into everything we're trying to do as an organization, and he's a great communicator with our staff."

The Tigers are expected to interview other candidates, aside from Alvarez, for the open position.

Other changes, per multiple sources
• Assistant athletic trainer Matt Rankin, who spent 18 seasons with the organization, won't return to the Tigers. Rankin could be replaced by a member of the Arizona Diamondbacks' organization, from which the Tigers hired Ryne Eubanks as their head athletic trainer in November 2022.

• Director of team travel Brian Britten won't return. He had worked for the Tigers since March 2000 in four different roles, including team travel since April 2013.

• Corey Tremble, the Tigers' minor-league medical and rehab coordinator, resigned from his position after 16 seasons in the organization. He was named the Medical Coordinator of the Year by the Professional Baseball Athletic Trainers Society in both 2021 and 2022. Tremble previously interviewed for opportunities on the major-league staff but wasn't promoted.

• National crosschecker James Orr, from the amateur scouting department, did not have his contract renewed. He worked closely with former Tigers general manager Al Avila, dating back to the late 1990s. Darold Brown, an area scout in northern California, won't return.

• Francisco Rivas, the minor-league strength and conditioning coordinator, won't return to the organization. Ramón Santiago, a minor-league infield coordinator, did not have his contract renewed. Florida Complex League manager Mike Alvarez, who joined the Tigers in 2017, won't return for the 2024 season.

• The Tigers hired Chip Lawrence, who finished runner-up to Mark Conner for the scouting director job in October 2022, as a special assistant to scouting and global crosschecker."

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/ ... 227816007/

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:28 pm

Momo wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:57 pm
Cub reporter Petzgold is reporting lots of comings & goings in the Tigers' organization. The unmentioned Ron Colangelo appears secure in his post. If only Ron had Chris Ilitch's number ...

"First base coach Alfredo Amézaga will not return to the Detroit Tigers' coaching staff in the 2024 season, according to several industry sources. He was a part of the coaching staff for about 13 months, beginning in September 2022.

While there could be further changes to manager A.J. Hinch's coaching staff, the core of the group — pitching and hitting coaches — is expected to stay intact.

The Tigers were contacted but would not confirm any coaching staff changes.

Amézaga, 45, played nine MLB seasons and was Miguel Cabrera's teammate with the Florida Marlins in 2006 and 2007. He began his coaching career with the Atlanta Braves in 2019, then joined the Tigers in 2022.

Amézaga joined the Tigers' organization as the Triple-A Toledo first base coach, latched on with Hinch's coaching staff for the final month of the 2022 season and returned for the entire 2023 season. He coached first base and trained the infielders.

Amézaga and Cabrera share a close relationship.

In April 2023, Amézaga was announced as the new manager of Tomateros de Culicán in the Mexican Pacific Winter League. The regular season in Mexico's winter league began in mid-October and runs through the end of December, with the postseason in January.

As for Amézaga's replacement, the Tigers have expressed interest in Double-A Erie manager Gabe Alvarez. It's unclear if Alvarez has already been interviewed for the job. The 49-year-old former MLB infielder managed the SeaWolves for the past two seasons.

He won the 2023 Eastern League championship and was named the 2023 Eastern League Manager of the Year.

Alvarez, who previously served as an assistant coach at USC for 11 seasons, has worked with several notable players in the Tigers' organization, including Colt Keith, Jace Jung, Dillon Dingler, Wenceel Pérez, Justice Bigbie, Kerry Carpenter, Parker Meadows, Reese Olson, Brendan White, Sawyer Gipson-Long, Keider Montero, Ty Madden and Dylan Smith.

In 2013-14, Alvarez developed a relationship with Tigers vice president of development Ryan Garko on the recruiting trail at Pac-12 baseball programs. At the time, Alvarez was an assistant coach at USC and Garko was an assistant coach at Stanford.

"Gabe is a very smart, hard worker, and we knew what we were getting with him when he got here," Garko, whom the Tigers hired in September 2021, told the Erie Times-News about Alvarez in 2022. "He's very good at developing relationships with the players, and they trust him. He buys into everything we're trying to do as an organization, and he's a great communicator with our staff."

The Tigers are expected to interview other candidates, aside from Alvarez, for the open position.

Other changes, per multiple sources
• Assistant athletic trainer Matt Rankin, who spent 18 seasons with the organization, won't return to the Tigers. Rankin could be replaced by a member of the Arizona Diamondbacks' organization, from which the Tigers hired Ryne Eubanks as their head athletic trainer in November 2022.

• Director of team travel Brian Britten won't return. He had worked for the Tigers since March 2000 in four different roles, including team travel since April 2013.

• Corey Tremble, the Tigers' minor-league medical and rehab coordinator, resigned from his position after 16 seasons in the organization. He was named the Medical Coordinator of the Year by the Professional Baseball Athletic Trainers Society in both 2021 and 2022. Tremble previously interviewed for opportunities on the major-league staff but wasn't promoted.

• National crosschecker James Orr, from the amateur scouting department, did not have his contract renewed. He worked closely with former Tigers general manager Al Avila, dating back to the late 1990s. Darold Brown, an area scout in northern California, won't return.

• Francisco Rivas, the minor-league strength and conditioning coordinator, won't return to the organization. Ramón Santiago, a minor-league infield coordinator, did not have his contract renewed. Florida Complex League manager Mike Alvarez, who joined the Tigers in 2017, won't return for the 2024 season.

• The Tigers hired Chip Lawrence, who finished runner-up to Mark Conner for the scouting director job in October 2022, as a special assistant to scouting and global crosschecker."

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/ ... 227816007/
Thanks for posting this information, since we never got the much hyped season ending tiger grades from Ron it’s good to read some off season notes

Though, as I read no new positions for Lance Parrish? Ron will not be happy

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:44 pm

I think I've told this vignette before. Ron pulls into a gas station/convenience store, in his 1962 Pontiac (Which gets 10 miles/gallon). He is in total disbelief that gas isn't 25 cents a gallon. He sits in his car at the pump for 20 minutes, face turning beet red because no one has come out to pump his gas and clean his windshield. He storms into the store, knocking down 6 people in line ahead of him, bellowing...I AM THE GREAT RON CAMERON...THE SPORTS TALK RADIO LEGEND...WHERE'S THE PERSON WHO PUMPS MY GAS???? The lady at the counter says...sir, it's self-service. Ron keeps bellowing....I AM THE ELVIS OF SPORTS TALK RADIO...I DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT PUMP MY OWN GAS. NOW GET OUT THERE AND PUMP IT...YOU SHAMELESS HUSSIE!!!!!! The lady says she can't do that because she's taking care of customers. Ron says...I AM THE GREAT RON CAMERON...TO HELL WITH THEM. GET OUT THERE. The lady says...sorry sir, you've got to do it yourself...by the way, would you like a pack of smokes??? Ron replies...YOU SMOKE, YOU'LL CROAK....NOW GET OUT THERE AND PUMP MY GAS YOU SHAMELESS HUSSIE!!!

Dan in Northville

Post by Dan in Northville » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:09 pm

Nobody wants to work

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:00 am

Momo wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:48 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:59 pm
This is a trailer for a movie that I think would make a good template for a movie about Ron Cameron. Similarities include the exaggerated sense of self importance and the abusive treatment of assistants. The series of "I AM THE GREAT RON CAMERON" vignettes by Willie108 would give us a good start on this project.

It's gonna be a tall order, Bobbert, to make the great Ron Cameron hip. That long-discussed 30 for 30 profile would be a start.
It's easy to imagine a Ron Cameron version of the scene where Buck says, "I love this town!" With Ron, it would be "I love this business!" when he makes a call on a prospective sponsor, or "I love this station" on his first day at his next station, just a few minutes before he starts complaining about the working conditions.

And of course, the scene where Buck puts everybody to sleep could easily morph into a scene where Ron puts all his listeners to sleep during a show that is completely advertising (even if it's only Fenton Hotel and Ram's Horn ads over and over).

Majik

Post by Majik » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:37 am

I don’t recall, does scooper run any ads that are pre recorded professional productions? If not, what would have been the last one? All of these cold reads he does, many, hundreds of times, yet every time it is like he is reading something he has never seen before. If you pulled the average Joe Schmoe off the street, they would do no worse than this 50+ year “professional broadcaster”.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:21 am

Majik wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:37 am
I don’t recall, does scooper run any ads that are pre recorded professional productions? If not, what would have been the last one? All of these cold reads he does, many, hundreds of times, yet every time it is like he is reading something he has never seen before. If you pulled the average Joe Schmoe off the street, they would do no worse than this 50+ year “professional broadcaster”.
What, you have a problem with "day-old scallops"?! I may be misremembering, but I have some vague recollection of a pre-recorded ad in the modern era of Ron's historic reign. And there was Alex who would occasionally read some ads.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:44 am

Momo wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:21 am
Majik wrote:
What, you have a problem with "day-old scallops"?! I may be misremembering, but I have some vague recollection of a pre-recorded ad in the modern era of Ron's historic reign. And there was Alex who would occasionally read some ads.
I can't remember any in this millennium, but I haven't listened to every show.

I know there were some in the late 1990s, because of that 1997 "farewell show" that I posted.

One of my favorite pre-recorded ads was from the 1990s. I think it was for a coney island restaurant. At the end of the ad, the narrator would say, "Artie is back." I heard that ad so many times that after awhile Artie became almost a mythical figure to me.

Majik

Post by Majik » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:57 am

Momo wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:21 am
Majik wrote:
Yeah, I guess I shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:41 pm

Martin posting,as Ron,says Ron's knee surgery is Nov 8.He is asking what advice you have when he gets out of the hospital. My advice is stop posting about the surgery Martin.You,are a proven liar.First of all nobody believes you.Secondly nobody cares.Your welcome

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:56 pm

Pre-recorded advertisements would involve the use of a production studio. Unless Ron makes a sale with an organization that has commercials made by an advertising firm, the onus would be on Mr. Cameron to do the production. The cost of a studio would no doubt reduce the income from the sale. Plus, with his minimalist ethos and itinerant nature of broadcasting, having to transport "hard copy" of pre-made spots would likely be problematic.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:52 pm

Ron's X/Twitter account has responded to my last entry: "MIBUZZBOARD fake news. ShempLives, It does NOT cost me money to have a commercial made in the production room 1460 WPON-AM. I like reading my commercials on the air LIVE! Thanks for playing, NEXT!" I did not know that Birach Broadcasting lets Ron use their facilities off-air gratis. If the official X/Twitter pronouncement is that Mr. Cameron's preferred technique is delivering advertising copy live, I'm not going to argue.

briangoleb14

Post by briangoleb14 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:24 am

Plus he's so good at it..lol

edj

Post by edj » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:56 am

Years ago, Sima charged to use his production equipment. Either that’s changed, or (more likely) Martin is lying again.

Live reads are fine if they are smooth and have a bit of personal touch. Bumbling, stumbling, coughing, and mispronouncing are not how I would want my ad read. That’s one reason very few advertisers last more than four months.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic