Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Momo

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Momo » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:14 pm

edj wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:57 pm
https://www.nytimes.com/1973/03/31/arch ... igers.html

Mentions the Billy Martin incident.
Billy Martin ended a tumultuous week today by resigning as manager of the Detroit Tigers after having fined Willie Horton, one of his star outfielders.

Martin strode out of a meeting with Horton and Jim Campbell, vice president and general manager of the Tigers, saying: “Getyourself another manager.”

Campbell, though, indicated that he expected Martin to return once his feelings became unruffled and scheduled a meeting with him tomorrow morning. But the team was turned over to Coach Joe Schultz this afternoon for a trip to Clearwater, where the Tigers defeated the Philadelphia Phillies, 9.5, in one of their last appearance of spring training.

It was understood, though, that the fine totaled $300 and it marked the second time in two weeks that Horton had taken off his uniform and left the clubhouse. Four years ago, the outfielder once left a game during the regular season, complaining about the “treatment” he had received.

The argument reportedly was not related directly to an incident with racial overtones earlier this week, but may have grown from it. Martin and Ike Blessitt, a rookie infielder, were arrested and fined $32 apiece outside a restaurant‐bar here. Blessitt had just been assigned to the minor leagues when Martin entered the bar and found him arguing with another customer.

“I went over to him and told him to quiet down,” Martin said later, “and that he was in enough trouble being out past the 11:30 curfew for ballplayers. We went outside and I told him everything would be all right, when two cops drove up and said he was tinder arrest. I said he hadn't done anything and they arrested me.”

After last night's fining of Horton, who was Blessitt's roommate, Martin met this morning with both Campbell and Horton.

“I told them,” Campbell said, “that if either of you has any problem, talk it over and get it settled. It was an even‐tempered discussion. I didn't criticize the fine—actually, I increased it.

“I turned to Willie and said that he should go to the man ager if he had a problem, close the door and discuss it. Willie did wrong and he admitted it. Leaving the camp was a violation of club rules.

“Then I turned to Martin, and said he should talk things out with players if they had problems. But at that, Billy jumped up and said, Get yourself another manager. I quit. And he stormed out of the office.”

Martin, who led the Tigers to the Eastern Division title in the American League last season, has a reputation as quick‐tempered person—a fiery ballplayer 15 years ago and an aggressive manager since then with the Minnesota Twins and the Tigers.

“Billy is Billy,” Campbell re fleeted. “I feel that he'll be back. And when he does come back there will be absolutely no punishment or fine or anything like that.”

Martin's ohly comment was: “I've had it. I've resigned.”

Later, though, Campbell met with John Fetzer, owner of the club, after the Tigers had returned — with Horton — from Clearwater. The victory was Detroit's 12th against 11 losses this spring and Horton contributed one hit in four times at bat.

After the incident involving Blessitt last Monday night, Martin said that he and the player had been talking outside the bar when one of the policemen made a racial remark to Blessitt. The manager said he had replied: “What do you mean? He hasn't done anything.”

Then, Martin went on the policemen put both under arrest, charging they had used profanity in a public parking lot. They each posted $32 bond and indicated they would forfeit the money rather than appear in court and continue the incident.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:53 pm

mmb5 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:20 pm
The media has been paying for press box food for at least a decade, even was Ron was still attending games.
Ron recently said that this was not the case at Piston games.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:18 am

radiofan1974 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:20 pm
Actually Ron people pay to watch the tigers now
A fact that seems to have eluded someone who, having lived exclusively in motels/hotels, has never had to pay a cable bill.

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:10 am

Momo wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:18 am
radiofan1974 wrote:
A fact that seems to have eluded someone who, having lived exclusively in motels/hotels, has never had to pay a cable bill.
It was like it was breaking news, that now you would have to pay for bally sports and all these previous years it was free just added at no cost

sparty89

Post by sparty89 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:14 pm

radiofan1974 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:10 am
Momo wrote:
radiofan1974 wrote:
It was like it was breaking news, that now you would have to pay for bally sports and all these previous years it was free just added at no cost
They are not going to charge cable subscribers an additional $20 a month, though. It is a streaming service for people who have "cut the cord."

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:56 pm

sparty89 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:14 pm
radiofan1974 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:10 am
Momo wrote:
radiofan1974 wrote:
They are not going to charge cable subscribers an additional $20 a month, though. It is a streaming service for people who have "cut the cord."
Pretty obvious to anyone but Kurt. And now Ron, who will continue to run with this.

mmb5

Post by mmb5 » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:29 pm

Momo wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:53 pm
mmb5 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:20 pm
The media has been paying for press box food for at least a decade, even was Ron was still attending games.
Ron recently said that this was not the case at Piston games.
Sorry, was specifically referring to the Tigers' press box. I think the majority of MLB teams charge nowadays.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:37 am

Midweek Memories

Sunday, April 2, 2017 (Hour 2)

Interview with Jake Wood.

https://www.detroitmoviepalaces.com/ima ... keWood.mp3

Talking about (you guessed it!) the 1961 Detroit Tigers.

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:04 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:37 am
Midweek Memories

It's not often I can say I learned something from this show, but I did in this particular one. While I knew that the AL launched the 162-game schedule in '61 & that the NL did in '62, I had never put the two & two together to realize that the leagues introduced the longer schedule in different years. I was surprised that Ron, an active sports fan then, didn't know that this first took effect in '61 ("I guess it was a little bit earlier.") Especially since, along with the asterisk debate, the addition that year of two expansion teams - the Senators & the Angels - was said to play a part in the explosion of home runs.

I also learned, ahem, that Ron was instrumental in getting Jake Wood invited to the Tigers's fantasy camp.

Ron interrupted Jake's story about meeting-up with '61 teammate Terry Fox at a softball tournament in Lafayette, Louisiana to inform Jake that he owned the Bayou Bullfrogs in the then-Texas-Louisiana Independent League. Overstating things, Ron said he was there "for a very short time," but "didn't "stay for the season."

A number of "Is he alive" questions.

Ron said he had Phil Regan on "a few years ago," but had since lost his number.

Jake was going to give Ron the number for his NFL-player brother Richard. As Richard Wood has never been a guest, that didn't work out.

No greatest thrill question, but we got the companion one, "Was it always your goal to be a baseball player growing up?"

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:27 am

Momo wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:04 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:37 am
Midweek Memories

It's not often I can say I learned something from this show, but I did in this particular one. While I knew that the AL launched the 162-game schedule in '61 & that the NL did in '62, I had never put the two & two together to realize that the leagues introduced the longer schedule in different years. I was surprised that Ron, an active sports fan then, didn't know that this first took effect in '61 ("I guess it was a little bit earlier.") Especially since, along with the asterisk debate, the addition that year of two expansion teams - the Senators & the Angels - was said to play a part in the explosion of home runs.

I also learned, ahem, that Ron was instrumental in getting Jake Wood invited to the Tigers's fantasy camp.

Ron interrupted Jake's story about meeting-up with '61 teammate Terry Fox at a softball tournament in Lafayette, Louisiana to inform Jake that he owned the Bayou Bullfrogs in the then-Texas-Louisiana Independent League. Overstating things, Ron said he was there "for a very short time," but "didn't "stay for the season."

A number of "Is he alive" questions.

Ron said he had Phil Regan on "a few years ago," but had since lost his number.

Jake was going to give Ron the number for his NFL-player brother Richard. As Richard Wood has never been a guest, that didn't work out.

No greatest thrill question, but we got the companion one, "Was it always your goal to be a baseball player growing up?"
Yes, Jake made a big mistake when he mentioned Lafayette, Louisiana.

During one of Ron's long monologues, I think Jake fell asleep.

Momo

Post by Momo » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:39 am

Bobbert wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:27 am
During one of Ron's long monologues, I think Jake fell asleep.
'Are you there, Jake? Did we lose him?'

It's been my fondest hope that, one day, a guest would just decide to bail on Ron mid-interview.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:13 am

Odds on our hero having a guest this weekend.

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:33 am

On this the 6th anniversary of the passing of Ron's "close" friend, Ron Savage, the scheduled guest is Ron's would-be biographer, Ted Kulfan.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:39 am

Momo wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:33 am
On this the 6th anniversary of the passing of Ron's "close" friend, Ron Savage, the scheduled guest is Ron's would-be biographer, Ted Kulfan.
And if Ted appears, will Keith from Oak Park continue his crusade to get Sergei Federov's number retired by the Red Wings?

radiofan1974

Post by radiofan1974 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:50 am

With the unfortunate passing of Don Shane, I am sure Ron will have some insight on how he played a role in His career

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic