Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Herm

Re: Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Post by Herm » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:06 am

Circle Seven wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:23 am
Herm wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:24 am
Are you really suggesting that local TV journalists should copy and paste stories from other local news outlets?
If you've been hanging around Harry's old farm more than about 15 years or so, you should remember when the morning anchors would read almost verbatim articles from the different local newspapers.

Grandma turned 100.
A goat climbed up on the roof of a house. Madonna look alike contest coming up at the Yale Bologna Festival.

Quirky stuff that, believe it or not, people were interested in.
I remember anchors getting story ideas from other local news outlets, but I can not recall a time where someone just read another person’s work on the air (and I was on the farm more than 15 years ago).
I was just about to say that I don’t think people are interested in those types of stories anymore, but then I think about it and I realize that we are still doing those types of stories to this day LOL.
I guess when it comes to this particular practice, the internet is a double edged sword. Sure, it does provide an easy way for newsrooms to copy and paste stories from other newsrooms, but it also makes it more likely that those other newsrooms will notice. Not to mention the effect it might have if those “borrowed” stories end up online again and search engines start to notice.
Maybe more than 15 years ago when a story was read on air and then never aired again, this might be a viable solution to the issue of providing more local news content. In today’s world of multiple platforms, re-airing online, social media, etc. this would not be a good idea.

LiveEye57

Post by LiveEye57 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:16 pm

We can only speculate as to what CBS News Detroit's actual content will consist of until it actually debuts. That said, I'm hoping Paul will have good sense and emphasize longer-form stories and investigative journalism, and hopefully utilize the community reporting angle in that regard. There's only so much they can do with the KBD Detroit Now show since that's a pre-formatted mix of local content and national stuff. And hopefully it'll be leagues better than what their original news department had devolved to under Paramount/Old Viacom (since as I explained before, the 90s Paramount seemed to not like investing in newscasts at all, even outsourced ones).

Michiganviewer

Post by Michiganviewer » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:08 am

LiveEye57 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:16 pm
We can only speculate as to what CBS News Detroit's actual content will consist of until it actually debuts. That said, I'm hoping Paul will have good sense and emphasize longer-form stories and investigative journalism, and hopefully utilize the community reporting angle in that regard. There's only so much they can do with the KBD Detroit Now show since that's a pre-formatted mix of local content and national stuff. And hopefully it'll be leagues better than what their original news department had devolved to under Paramount/Old Viacom (since as I explained before, the 90s Paramount seemed to not like investing in newscasts at all, even outsourced ones).
We do not need to speculate when CBS has already launched other local city markets that are live to view. So we have an idea what we will see in Detroit based off the model plans they use in the other markets. This is all one streamlined program and not a separate independent company.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:52 pm

Still no airdate and the schedule for 1/23/2023 is still the same. I’m not sure what to think. This has been very strange to say the least. If anyone has any idea of what’s really going on, please feel free to share. This is just crazy.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:19 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:52 pm
Still no airdate and the schedule for 1/23/2023 is still the same. I’m not sure what to think. This has been very strange to say the least. If anyone has any idea of what’s really going on, please feel free to share. This is just crazy.
Probably February 1 or something.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:31 pm

Wouldn't completely surprise me if they pull the plug before it ever launches.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:52 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:31 pm
Don’t think that would happen but that would be the worst PR nightmare for CBS

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:01 pm

Maybe an April 1 launch??

Herm

Post by Herm » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:37 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:52 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:31 pm
Don’t think that would happen but that would be the worst PR nightmare for CBS
It would be a PR hiccup. In the end, if cutting their loses is the option that makes them the most money, then that’s what they’ll do regardless of how it looks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:13 am

I agree with Herm. Awareness of the upcoming news launch - should it proceed - is very low, in any event. Awareness is only high among industry types, and Detroit has always been the odd duck among CBS O&O stations in any case.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:39 am

The new ads are going to air soon so it’s still on.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:24 pm

We shall see if a date certain is actually provided this time.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:32 pm

A good source told me today that the Sony ELC is not communicating with the Grass Valley and graphics gear yet and they are effortting to get those issues fixed so that they can start rehearsals. Because using a fully manned control room is just crazy talk.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:53 pm

Editorcj wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:32 pm
A good source told me today that the Sony ELC is not communicating with the Grass Valley and graphics gear yet and they are effortting to get those issues fixed so that they can start rehearsals. Because using a fully manned control room is just crazy talk.

Thanks man. Hopefully this will be resolved very soon. I know WWJ is the next to get the new CBS graphics. I think the delay was getting the KCAL/KCBS launch up and running. Detroit is next. I think we are looking as late as January 30th. Kinda figured.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:39 pm

I think getting on the air by January 30 would be a miracle and is very unlikely to happen.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic