Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Cameron

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Momo

Re: Ron Cameron

Post by Momo » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:47 am

Bobbert wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:10 am
That was a nice surprise to hear David Newman, my all-time favorite Detroit talk radio host.
With some limited success, I used to compete in David's challenging monthly movie trivia contests. And to circumvent his rule limiting how often you could win, I would feed family & friends with the answers. Lots of complimentary dinners on that segment.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:49 am

Bobbert wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:13 am
I missed that about Jim Price. Did Ron sound serious? It wouldn't surprise me if Price has threatened Ron with a slander lawsuit, with the personal comments that Ron has made about Price's health and the charity named after Price's autistic son.
I don't know if it was a one-off, throwaway, comment or not. We'll have to wait to see if Ron intends to continue to keep his thoughts about Price to himself.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:11 am

What a radio road we have traveled, Bobbert. To go from the brilliance of David Newman to, ahem, the less than brilliance of Ron Cameron.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:14 pm

Momo wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:11 am
What a radio road we have traveled, Bobbert. To go from the brilliance of David Newman to, ahem, the less than brilliance of Ron Cameron.
Here's an interesting quote from a 10/13/81 column by Bob Talbert in the Detroit Free Press about the success of WXYZ talk radio:

"[Program director Michael] Packer recently moved the market's most recognized and trusted talk personality, David Newman, from evenings to the all important afternoon drive time slot, replacing the ratings-poor Sportstalk show and its mouthy co-host Ron Cameron. The gifted Newman is a seasoned pro and pulls good ratings wherever he is."

Ironically, the only news I've heard about Newman in the last 10 years or so has been from Ron Cameron. Something about Newman living in Arizona, or something like that.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:36 pm

There was a long, post-stroke, Free Press feature article from the early aughts documenting David's recovery. The article - which I kept for a long time (& may even still have somewhere), included a prominent photo of David & his wife. As I recall, he had a heart attack in 8/01, was sidelined for 9/11, making a tentative return later in the fall before his stroke shortly thereafter effectively put an end to his radio career. Although I recall there being some talk about him returning to the airwaves. I do remember a very different-sounding David as a guest on someone's show. So many years later, I'm surprised he's still with us (if, in fact, he is).

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:49 pm

Momo wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:36 pm
There was a long, post-stroke, Free Press feature article from the early aughts documenting David's recovery. The article - which I kept for a long time (& may even still have somewhere), included a prominent photo of David & his wife. As I recall, he had a heart attack in 8/01, was sidelined for 9/11, making a tentative return later in the fall before his stroke shortly thereafter effectively put an end to his radio career. Although I recall there being some talk about him returning to the airwaves. I do remember a very different-sounding David as a guest on someone's show. So many years later, I'm surprised he's still with us (if, in fact, he is).
Your memory's good. Here is a short article from the Free Press that included the picture you describe (12/30/2002):

Recovering radio star faces a new threat

By JULIE HINDS FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

David Newman isn't back on the radio, but his message to listeners is: Stay tuned.

"Tell them that although it seems dark at the moment, I'm coming, I'm coming," says the WJR-AM (760) broadcaster, who's still recovering from the stroke he had last year.

Asked how he's feeling these days, Newman shoots from the lip with trademark candor.

"Mediocre," he says with impatience.

He describes his condition as "improving, but very slowly." He's having physical therapy three times a week at his home. ,

And he's dealing with another health issue: prostate cancer.

"It was found at an early stage," he says. "I'm beginning radiation therapy in a month."

Newman, who last spoke to the Free Press in March, remains on leave from his weeknight duties at WJR. He visits the station every three weeks or so. He's working toward doing practice broadcasts.

Last month, he taped a greeting for the Thanksgiving Day parade broadcast. Two weeks ago, he dropped by the office Christmas party. .

"That was a lot of fun," he says.

The WJR family stood by Newman after his stroke and continues to do so. The same goes for his army of fans.

Newman's goal now is the one he's held on to through 2002: to go on the air and resume his conversation with Detroit.

Here's the last article about Newman that I found in the Free Press archives (exactly one year later):

12/30/2003

NEW ON NEWMAN: To those who continue to ask, here's what WJR-AM (760) programmer Steve Stewart says about talker David Newman, off the air since November 2001 with a variety of ailments.

"Fact is, David has made remarkable progress following not only heart surgery but his stroke. And, while we certainly miss having David on the air, as I've said often, our first and primary concern is David's full recovery-rehabilitation, and then getting to a point where he feels comfortable and ready to come back on the air. When that time comes, you can be assured, we'll let you know as well as the thousands of others who miss him greatly.

"And, while it may seem like the 'the same old line,' that is the story."

Majik

Post by Majik » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:13 pm

Momo wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:11 am
My ears agree with you, Momo & Bobbert.
From pulling signals out of the night sky from numerous places east of the Rockies as a younger person, to having lived and listened across the Sun Belt in most of the 80’s, and finally back home to metro Detroit 35 years ago, I can say I heard nobody that comes close to the first class production consistently presented by Dave Newman. That is someone deserving of 733 pages on buzzboard. Cameron is a zero. Newman is 100.
It makes me sad that we have missed out on so many great discussions David would have hosted if not for his medical problems.

Kidcat

Post by Kidcat » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:36 pm

Majik I take exception to Newman is a 100 and Cameron is a zero.Did Dave Newman ever interview Ike Blessit or Jake Wood? Did he ever co host a show with Mark Wilson or Rich Kincaide? Did Newman ever have a producer like Martin?Was he ever sponsored by the Fenton hotel or Louie's pizza? Did Cowboy or Kurt ever call Newman's show?Last but not least did Newman ever have a buzzboatd thread with over 700 posts?

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:49 pm

And, to Kidcat's point, could David Newman have guided us as effectively through Cova, with his regular updates from the Macomb, er Oakland County Health director?! Ron was the Walter Cronkite of the era, the man we trusted to soberly deliver the unvarnished news.

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:55 pm

On a more serious note, I remember listening to David Newman his first night on the air in Detroit. He was hired to replace someone, also new to Detroit, who took his life sometime after his first broadcast.

mmb5

Post by mmb5 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:15 pm

Momo wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:55 pm
On a more serious note, I remember listening to David Newman his first night on the air in Detroit. He was hired to replace someone, also new to Detroit, who took his life sometime after his first broadcast.
Alan Douglas. Literally took his life the next day. Here's a clip of him from his Cleveland days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZURUf2SLUks

Note of his death can be found here...

http://news-archive.plymouthlibrary.org ... -27-CC.pdf

Momo

Post by Momo » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:28 pm

Thanks, mmb5. I thought someone here would be able to fill in the gaps. I wonder about the backstory of someone who would take a job in a new city only to take his life after just his first day on the job.

Majik

Post by Majik » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:06 am

Kidcat wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:36 pm
Majik I take exception to Newman is a 100 and Cameron is a zero.Did Dave Newman ever interview Ike Blessit or Jake Wood? Did he ever co host a show with Mark Wilson or Rich Kincaide? Did Newman ever have a producer like Martin?Was he ever sponsored by the Fenton hotel or Louie's pizza? Did Cowboy or Kurt ever call Newman's show?Last but not least did Newman ever have a buzzboatd thread with over 700 posts?
All kidding aside Kidcat, Newman’s medical issues keeping him off the air for the last 20+ years is the biggest tragedy in Detroit radio history in my opinion.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:22 am

Majik wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:13 pm

It makes me sad that we have missed out on so many great discussions David would have hosted if not for his medical problems.
He got sick just before 9/11. He was very sorely missed in the immediate aftermath of that.

As far as style, Dennis Prager is very similar to Newman. He might not be everyone's political taste, but his personality and range of interests is very similar to Newman.

Majik

Post by Majik » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:27 am

Bobbert wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:22 am
Majik wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:13 pm

He got sick just before 9/11. He was very sorely missed in the immediate aftermath of that.

As far as style, Dennis Prager is very similar to Newman. He might not be everyone's political taste, but his personality and range of interests is very similar to Newman.
Thanks for that heads up Bobbert. I’ll give a listen.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic