Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WXYZ Woodward dream cruise

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MasterB

Re: WXYZ Woodward dream cruise

Post by MasterB » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:05 pm

Sister station Fox17 in GR is going to air Woodward Dream Cruise tomorrow 2PM. I'm not going to watch it not into classic cars.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

thekman

Re: WXYZ Woodward dream cruise

Post by thekman » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:44 pm

BFSEsq wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:01 pm
thekman wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:56 am
It’s a public street. Couldn’t any channel simply show the darn thing, make a TV special out of it?
That's a good point. It's interesting to think about which events get coverage and on which channels. It at least used to be true that the NAIAS charity preview was covered live by both 4 and 7 at the same time. Meanwhile, 4 doesn't want to bother with the Dream Cruise. But then, 4 has so many other notable exclusives, especially the Thanksgiving Parade. I think maybe 4 is just ceding it, so they can put the time and money elsewhere. It's kinda hard to do a TV show of an event that's completely amateur, with no script. I mean, the DC relies on just anyone in the general public to supply the entertainment by running their cars down Woodward. In a way, it must be a harder one to plan a show for.
I’ve wondered about this too. Is there some sort of gentleman’s agreement? We’ll air this special, you air that one. Channel 4 shows fireworks and parade. I think they show the Hob Nobble Gobble as well. Channel 7 has the dream cruise. I think they might even air the Rochester Christmas Light Parade. Does channel 2 air any civic events?

As a kid, in the 1980’s, I feel like channel 7 aired the Detroit Thanksgiving Parade. 4 just showed New York. And CBS aired some show which showed parades from all over. Detroit, New York, and I swear Toronto and Honolulu. I know Canada does not have the same Thanksgiving holiday, but I swear they had highlights of some Toronto parade.

And then WJR would simulcast the parade and fireworks coverage. Never was quite certain how listening to a parade quite worked as entertainment, lol.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic