Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I've been enjoying Alt 98.7

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: I've been enjoying Alt 98.7

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:06 pm

I liked the Buzz when I was down in Houston in 2016. Ultimately, I still miss the River. Why the hell they went to Virgin Radio still astounds me.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:17 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:31 pm
The playlist of 105.9 The X in Pittsburgh has been amazing today. Listen live via their website or the iHeartRadio app.
Sponge, White Zombie, Soul Asylum, Alice in Chains...sounds good. Kind of like the Riff but younger.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:49 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
The playlist of 105.9 The X in Pittsburgh has been amazing today. Listen live via their website or the iHeartRadio app.
Just looked at the Recently Played and that’s an outstanding list. If only more of those songs got played on regular rotations everywhere (the “Wonderwall”, “Santeria”, and the same handful of Nirvana songs get pretty old pretty quick). I’ve listened to them a few times while driving through Pitt or when I watch games at PNC Park (favorite MLB stadium). It’s a pretty good active/Alt hybrid, but they play mostly sports talk in the afternoons.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:53 am

I've generally been quite complimentary to them lately, but guys, STOP cutting up songs like Lightning Crashes and December. Cutting out a guitar riff here or a break there. It sounds like shit. Play the song as it is or don't play it at all.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:02 am

Deleted User 15773 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:25 am
Which leads me to one conclusion, they will be changing format soon. Anytime there is a station that I very much enjoy, it changes formats to something I despise(usually). 98.7 isn't perfect but it sounds much better then the last couple years of 89x and much better then it did last year. My own view is, they ought to consider to shifting to more a gold based Alternative format or making 80% of the playlist 90s and early 2000s. I've even set a preset button to 98.7, which is the first time 98.7 has been there since V98.7.
Yes. There were once V98.7 Smooth Jazz and then flipped to something they called Amp. (teen bubble gum acne music).

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:17 am

Chrocket87 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:49 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Just looked at the Recently Played and that’s an outstanding list. If only more of those songs got played on regular rotations everywhere (the “Wonderwall”, “Santeria”, and the same handful of Nirvana songs get pretty old pretty quick). I’ve listened to them a few times while driving through Pitt or when I watch games at PNC Park (favorite MLB stadium). It’s a pretty good active/Alt hybrid, but they play mostly sports talk in the afternoons.
Honestly sounds like a station I would love other than that their mix is a little too active for my liking.

Audacity sucks.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:45 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Deleted User 15773 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:25 am
Which leads me to one conclusion, they will be changing format soon. Anytime there is a station that I very much enjoy, it changes formats to something I despise(usually). 98.7 isn't perfect but it sounds much better then the last couple years of 89x and much better then it did last year. My own view is, they ought to consider to shifting to more a gold based Alternative format or making 80% of the playlist 90s and early 2000s. I've even set a preset button to 98.7, which is the first time 98.7 has been there since V98.7.
Yes. There were once V98.7 Smooth Jazz and then flipped to something they called Amp. (teen bubble gum acne music).
TT, I think the last time I listened to 98.7 other than now was when they were still smooth jazz. Wish they never followed the Broadcast Architecture playbook (more R&B vocals, less actual smooth jazz)… I know that wasn’t the cause of its demise, but still, it sucked toward the end.

I found some airchecks of Jones’ satellite delivered Smooth Jazz format. Gotta say, that should’ve been the standard for all smooth jazz stations to follow. Great mix. Wish I could’ve heard it live back then.

As for Alt, they’re the most listenable they’ve been in a long time. Get rid of Lazlo, or have him shut his goddamn mouth for a bit every so often. A P1 alt listener won’t sit through a dude with a bad case of the jabberjaw just to hear some music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

Silvio Dante

Post by Silvio Dante » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:14 am

Have been enjoying the variety on Alt 98.7 recently. 89X always played everything into the ground, especially the can con. Had a chance to look at some 25-54 Nielsen rankers recently and they are in the top 10 in some day parts. I think they will be around for awhile and I'm glad.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:44 pm

Silvio Dante wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:14 am
Have been enjoying the variety on Alt 98.7 recently. 89X always played everything into the ground, especially the can con. Had a chance to look at some 25-54 Nielsen rankers recently and they are in the top 10 in some day parts. I think they will be around for awhile and I'm glad.
They garnered a preset from me. I find it hard to believe that former 89X people are interested in working in the Detroit market again. Maybe they have non compete clauses.

As far as 89X, they were required to play by CanCon rules as far as I was aware. It wasn’t all bad. I loved Alexisonfire as well as Arcade Fire. Plus, Tragically Hip is decent once in awhile. Canadian rock doesn’t have to suck.

Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:52 am

One Canadian band I like is Big Wreck.

I am really, really diggin' the "ROQ of the 90s" weekend being featured on KROQ Los Angeles this week. Sure would be nice if Fault 98.7 could do something similar. (Hearing Powerman 5000 "When Worlds Collide" on KROQ right now. Heard Prodigy ten or fifteen minutes earlier.)

http://kroq.tunegenie.com

Alt 98.7 remains a timid, boring, nearly lifeless station...it just doesn't suck nearly as bad as it did a year to 18 months ago with regard to music selection. The station still sounds like an exercise in "going through the motions." The voicetracked DJs make minimal effort to connect to the local audience.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:05 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:52 am

I am really, really diggin' the "ROQ of the 90s" weekend being featured on KROQ Los Angeles this week. Sure would be nice if Fault 98.7 could do something similar. (Hearing Powerman 5000 "When Worlds Collide" on KROQ right now. Heard Prodigy ten or fifteen minutes earlier.)

Alt 98.7 remains a timid, boring, nearly lifeless station...it just doesn't suck nearly as bad as it did a year to 18 months ago with regard to music selection. The station still sounds like an exercise in "going through the motions." The voicetracked DJs make minimal effort to connect to the local audience.
Any BranVan3000 “Drinking in LA”? You would think they would keep that in rotation. I love Prodigy so I will give that a listen.

By the way, I took a music survey last week for 98.7. Seems like they want to incorporate music from the River.

The thing to watch for 98.7 is if they pull the plug on the Church of Lazlo. Their contract expires at midnight.

Audacity sucks.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:02 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:52 am

Any BranVan3000 “Drinking in LA”? You would think they would keep that in rotation. I love Prodigy so I will give that a listen.

By the way, I took a music survey last week for 98.7. Seems like they want to incorporate music from the River.

The thing to watch for 98.7 is if they pull the plug on the Church of Lazlo. Their contract expires at midnight.
PLEASE let them be more like the River. That would be fantastic. If Lazlo goes, even better.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:43 pm

The River in its last incarnation was a boring station that sounded more Hot AC than AAA at times. No thanks.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:42 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:The River in its last incarnation was a boring station that sounded more Hot AC than AAA at times. No thanks.
Oh, I meant before they started throwing in Pink, Lizzo, Timberlake, etc. The River was a good station before they felt the need to throw those artists in (who often clashed horribly with about 75% of the rock-based material that played) and turn themselves into a low budget clone of Minneapolis’ Cities 97.1, and proceed to sound beyond wimpy in the process.

If they just stick to throwing in the core AAA artists, then I’ll be a happy camper.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:43 pm
The River in its last incarnation was a boring station that sounded more Hot AC than AAA at times. No thanks.
No, I am talking about stuff like Mumford and Sons, Nathaniel Radcliffe, and other singer song writer stuff like Mat Kearney.

To be fair, they also had classic gold in the survey like Alice In Chains and even Metallica.

Seems like they are feeling their way out.

By the way, Lazlo continues on. Word is they have a temporary contract and our in talks later this week for something more permanent.

Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic