Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

JIM PRICE STINKS !!!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Re: JIM PRICE STINKS !!!

Post by Bobbert » Sun May 02, 2021 6:29 pm

Trophyhead wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:08 am
I met Jim on the Tigers Winter Caravan in '93, when he was joining the PASS broadcast crew. Can't recall now if he replaced Marty Adler, shared color commentary with Jim Northrup, but, there he was. I had seen him do College World Series games on ESPN and began our interview conversation in that regard. He answered the questions well enough, was complimentary in our departure and, since we carried the Tigers where I worked, his comments got mixed in with those I gained from Sparky Anderson, Travis Fryman, John Doherty, Mike "Give me 22 minutes, and I'll give you an appearance" Moore, etc.

That was then, and this, now, is "Wow." I can count on "that young man" coming from his mouth in the first five minutes of any game action, it has also degenerated to nearly every safety struck being a "buggy whip." I mean, all indications are that the Tigers are going to suck this year, unless a sea change occurs in the offense, so do we have to listen to that which comes from Ol' Jim, while we suffer the result?
Around the same time, I saw Jim Price at Tiger Stadium when I was visiting with the Mayo Smith Society. He was the team's community relations director. He spoke like an "insider" who knew that he had a secure place in the Tigers organization. And he was right.

DAC

Post by DAC » Mon May 03, 2021 1:02 am

deadend wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:58 pm
Jim Price really ruined the 2006-2012 resurgence that the Tigers had. For the first time in about 15 years they were generating a lot of excitement and new fans. Jim Price sucked the life out of every broadcast and took exciting moments and ruined it by his monotone “wow”, “the art of pitching”, “nice area”, eating on the air and random, inappropriate laughter.
I think that the best example of this is what I would call the hallmark of the Tigers resurgence; the home run by Magglio Ordonez that put the Tigers into the world series in 2006. That is constantly replayed, and instead of just letting Dickerson make what would be a historic call, you hear Price in the background saying "wow," completely ruining the moment.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon May 03, 2021 5:05 pm

DAC wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:02 am
deadend wrote:
Jim Price really ruined the 2006-2012 resurgence that the Tigers had. For the first time in about 15 years they were generating a lot of excitement and new fans. Jim Price sucked the life out of every broadcast and took exciting moments and ruined it by his monotone “wow”, “the art of pitching”, “nice area”, eating on the air and random, inappropriate laughter.
I think that the best example of this is what I would call the hallmark of the Tigers resurgence; the home run by Magglio Ordonez that put the Tigers into the world series in 2006. That is constantly replayed, and instead of just letting Dickerson make what would be a historic call, you hear Price in the background saying "wow," completely ruining the moment.

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon May 03, 2021 5:34 pm

DAC wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:02 am
deadend wrote:
Completely and totally agree.

I was at that game but have heard the radio replay of that moment numerous times. He sounds like an absolute dolt, both then and now, saying WOW at that time. Always interjecting needlessly

atariboy

Post by atariboy » Mon May 03, 2021 7:16 pm

The product on the field is so historically awful that I find I don’t even care how bad Price is. Sell the team, Chris.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon May 03, 2021 9:44 pm

God damn. I remember watching that. It was not one of the happier times in my life. Just lost a close relative, was holding out hope with a girl that was an absolute wreck, started a new job I wasn't so keen on...and watching that gave me some much needed happiness. Just a damn shame what happened in the WS. We may not see that again for a while.

Jim Price: Wow. Nice area.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Tue May 04, 2021 6:52 pm

DAC wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:47 am
originalzzmfmjock wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:39 am
...We're the customer in this situation, it makes NO DIFFERENCE what Price did in a previous job that few people ever achieve. There are even fewer MLB announcers than there are ballplayers. Are we supposed to put up with this incompetence because he has the job while we, again the customers, don't?...
Actually the advertisers are the customers, the team & radio stations are the sellers, and the listeners are the products. When we're attending the games, then we become the customers.

format this

Post by format this » Tue May 04, 2021 7:46 pm

After following this thread since it’s debut, I am so happy to have Pat Hughes and Ron Santo on my radios… and now Pat and Ron (Coomer).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

DAC

Post by DAC » Wed May 05, 2021 1:20 am

Steve B wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:52 pm
DAC wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:47 am
originalzzmfmjock wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:39 am
...We're the customer in this situation, it makes NO DIFFERENCE what Price did in a previous job that few people ever achieve. There are even fewer MLB announcers than there are ballplayers. Are we supposed to put up with this incompetence because he has the job while we, again the customers, don't?...
Actually the advertisers are the customers, the team & radio stations are the sellers, and the listeners are the products. When we're attending the games, then we become the customers.
I understand what you are saying, but I ultimately disagree. Who are the would-be customers for these advertisers?

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Thu May 06, 2021 2:25 pm

On today's broadcast, any mention of how Cabrera is sitting because he's hitting even worse than albert Pujols who just has been released?

Nope it's "haha the Minnesota Twins sure are underachieving aren't they"

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu May 06, 2021 3:02 pm

I'm worried that Mig Cabrera is in danger of destroying his .300+ lifetime batting average if he has 3-4 crap years with the Tigers? It might be to his HOF advantage to be remembered as the last Triple Crown batting Winner and retire while his average is still above 0.300; plus, I think he has surpassed Babe Ruth's hits count, hasn't he? How does his home run count compare to Kaline, who retired one homer too early? (probably hit more, but they didn't count because of games called, rainouts, etc).
And back on topic, did Ernie and Paul have grandchildren, who might possess the rare "How to Call A Baseball Game on the Radio" GENE?

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed May 19, 2021 8:59 am

What a blessing that Jim Price wasn't in the booth for Spencer Turnbull's no-hitter, because it was a road game. Probably would have set a record for the use of the word "arsenal."

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed May 19, 2021 9:39 am

When you think of Tigers and NO HITTER, you think of either the game the ump called wrong against the Detroit pitcher in the 9th inning, or you think of the Nolan Ryan no-hit on July 15, 1973 when Norm Cash went to the plate in the 9th with a table leg as a bat against Nolan Ryan? IIRC, Ryan had 17K's and ended-up walking Gates Brown almost every at bat, but Ernie called that game?

Let's face it, we're spoiled; with Ernie and Paul, every game was smooth as glass on WJR and we'll likely never have that again unless AI gets so good that an IBM computer can synthesize Ernie's voice?

musicfan

Post by musicfan » Wed May 19, 2021 10:18 am

I watched the game, and enjoyed Jack Morris' color commentary, as he upped his analysis with each passing inning. When he interviewed Spencer after the game, his voice displayed true heart felt emotion, as he experienced pitching a no hitter and certainly understands the difficulty of accomplishing this feat.

Price (if able to broadcast) on the other hand, would of spent the broadcast stealing Spencer's spotlight with his constant use of Priceisms. If he had the chance to interview Spencer after the game, he would have placed himself front and center, telling Spence that the catcher is the smartest player on the team and is equally responsible for calling the no-no from behind the plate, than the pitcher that actually threw it.

Finally, if he was able to call the game, he probably would have ruined the final out, just as he did with Magglio's Championship winning homerun with a barrage of "Wow"..."Wow"..heh...heh...heh...heh. It would have been nice to have Dickerson work with Morris on the TV broadcast. Shep doesn't do play-by-play, as he conducts the broadcast as a late night talk show...asking nonsensical questions of the color guy, and constantly spews out insignificant stats, and is obsessed with launch angels, exit velocities, etc. Switch him out with Dickerson and have him stomach Price for the duration of a game.

Realist

Post by Realist » Wed May 19, 2021 5:01 pm

musicfan wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:18 am
I watched the game, and enjoyed Jack Morris' color commentary, as he upped his analysis with each passing inning. When he interviewed Spencer after the game, his voice displayed true heart felt emotion, as he experienced pitching a no hitter and certainly understands the difficulty of accomplishing this feat.

Price (if able to broadcast) on the other hand, would of spent the broadcast stealing Spencer's spotlight with his constant use of Priceisms. If he had the chance to interview Spencer after the game, he would have placed himself front and center, telling Spence that the catcher is the smartest player on the team and is equally responsible for calling the no-no from behind the plate, than the pitcher that actually threw it.

Finally, if he was able to call the game, he probably would have ruined the final out, just as he did with Magglio's Championship winning homerun with a barrage of "Wow"..."Wow"..heh...heh...heh...heh. It would have been nice to have Dickerson work with Morris on the TV broadcast. Shep doesn't do play-by-play, as he conducts the broadcast as a late night talk show...asking nonsensical questions of the color guy, and constantly spews out insignificant stats, and is obsessed with launch angels, exit velocities, etc. Switch him out with Dickerson and have him stomach Price for the duration of a game.
Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Already watched the replay and Morris’ emotions coming out were not surprising. They added to the reality of this memorable game as it was mentioned more than once that this was the first no hitter thrown since the 80’s by someone not named Justin Verlander.

Price’s inane babble completely ruins the radio play by play for me. Dickerson, last time he broadcast on TV, sounds very smooth on the air there. Shep just sounds like an over excited fan boy doing the game. I still say re assign Shep to another position (because he was stupidly signed to a 10 year contract) and either bring back Mario or put Dan on TV. Also hoping Price retires soon.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic