All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

DAY OF DOOM

A place to showcase the very best threads on the Buzzboard.
olddj

Post by olddj » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:28 pm

There are industry reports out that Ryan Seacrest is first in line to replace Larry King who is said to be ready to retire in 18-months. How dumb is that? I would hope that somebody, ANYBODY, with some jouralistic and world experience would be named instead. Am I missing something in Seacrest's background? From what I can tell he is nothing more than a super-rich jock.

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:22 pm

As much as I am not a Seacrest fan, it would make sense as he appeals to younger demos.

Let's not forget he's on the #1 TV show in America 8 years running. The crossover potential is certainly there. For Ryan, it would allow him to do something more "mature" than Idol and KIIS-FM.

I could see him eventually leaving AM drive radio if he got the CNN gig. He could still do the AT Top 40, etc, but not do AM drive full-time.

Katie Couric and others were also mentioned as possible replacements.

IF Larry retires, or dies. Whichever comes first.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:36 am

Larry King reminds me of that sedated Nazi on the original Star Trek episode where he's half comatose!
Seacreast - what an over-rated untalended cue-card reader - leave him on freakin TV as his lack of talent is more obvious on the radio.'
Not the man to replace Dick Clark or Casey Kasem - not even in their leagues.

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:53 pm

WOHO wrote:Larry King reminds me of that sedated Nazi on the original Star Trek episode where he's half comatose!
Seacreast - what an over-rated untalended cue-card reader - leave him on freakin TV as his lack of talent is more obvious on the radio.'
Not the man to replace Dick Clark or Casey Kasem - not even in their leagues.
I'm not a Seacrest fan, but with that said his ratings at KIIS-FM say he's doing quite well, at least as Rick Dees' replacement.

Clark did radio but not for long. He was purely TV by 1957. As for following in Clark's tracks as a producer (American Music Awards, People's Choice, New Years Rockin Eve, etc), Ryan is on the right road.

I was, and am not, that much of a Kasem fan. I can't stand the Classic AT 40 that some classic hits/oldies stations are running.

olddj

Post by olddj » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:34 pm

Seacrest has only been in the business since 1993, and never hosted a serious radio program. He is in it for the money and it is working for him.
On that topic, I have word that the high paid morning crews around town are looking over their shoulders as corporate bigwigs eye the budgets with nowhere else to cut. Those guys have literally nowhere to go to make their six figure paychecks if they are cut loose.

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:22 am

Length of time in the business, ie Ryan "only since 1993".... doesn't mean anything. Talented folks, and those who "get it", often surpass others who have been at it longer. Length of time in the business doesn't equate to better. Ryan grew up in the Atlanta market. Started working there, and before long was in L.A. doing PM drive at KYSR. Pretty good whether you like him or not. L.A. offers opportunities that one won't get in Toledo (unless you work at an ABC O&O, ie Rob Powers). Ryan auditioned for a then unknown TV show that could have bombed, but didn't. He perserved while the other co-host/MC did not (Brian something).

Radio is a business. So being in it for the money isn't a horrible thing. Sales people are in it for the money. Why not talent? Get it while you can. Ryan is using his new fame/status to parlay into producing and other opportunity. Again, not an overt fan. I think Rick Dees is a better AM show talent and was removed due to agism and Ryan being hot due to "Idol". With that said, I can't condemn what he's doing.

-----------------

Six figures for morning drive in Toledo? I'd start cutting if I were mgmt. That's too much $$$ for the market size. You can get just as good talent for much less. I doubt any of the local A.M. shows pay for themselves solely on morning show billing.

amfmjr

Post by amfmjr » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:01 pm

Those six figure paychecks may be in more trouble than first thought.
A couple of them are in Toledo at Cumulus, but a few more linger at Clear Channel and given word in the financial circles CC is having money woes which could lead to mandatory cutbacks across the board, certainly in the smaller markets.

olddj

Post by olddj » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:53 am

The big paychecks in many stations, certainly Toledo, may be in even more trouble now that Randy Mays has bailed out , most likely at the insistance of Bain and partners whose only goal is to increase the bottom line. Most of the "lesser" paychecks have been trimmed or eliminated already. Nothing left but the top earners now.

Radio1

The winning is just beginning.

Post by Radio1 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:15 pm

Six figure paychecks in any size markets are the lines that float to the top when the accountants hit "sort by salary" on the Excel spreadsheet.

amfmjr

Post by amfmjr » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:04 pm

The pressure is on at one of Toledo's two big corporate stations and one of the morning teams who take in more than $400,000 a year between them are looking over their shoulders, just wondering when the next shoe will fall.

olddj

Post by olddj » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:24 pm

The end of the year is here, so will the big corporates choose to toss staffers under the holiday bus again this year? Are there any lowpaid staff members left to sacrifice, or will the big guys get hit this time around?

Radio1

Post by Radio1 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:44 am

It's the end of the pay period today. I hope you are wrong.
So far we haven't heard of any lay-offs.

olddj

Post by olddj » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:59 pm

I hope nobody gets a holiday pink slip, at any pay grade. I do believe big corporates have discovered it was those middle paid employes who have kept the ship afloat and as the ship takes on water, perhaps learned from it.

amfmjr

Re: DAY OF DOOM

Post by amfmjr » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:52 pm

The latest elimination at Cumulus is from their Monroe Station where the PD, Chris Reynolds (Steed) has left to pursue "other interests." He is replaced by Dan McClintock, who will program XKR, Tower and the soon to be 100.7 translator aired The Zone. Any board op who may have included WTOD's duties in their job discription, will also be out of that portion of their job as Cumulus has swapped WTOD to a christian broadcaster in exchange for the above mentioned translator.

olddj

Re: DAY OF DOOM

Post by olddj » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:02 pm

And the beat goes on. Cumulus, citing cutbacks, has apparently run out of low and mid-level employes to toss under the bus. The Vice President of Urban Programming has been given the boot. Jim Kennedy has prior programming experience in Atlanta and Nashville.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic