Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I finally did it!!! I dumped Xfinity for video service in favor of YouTubeTV!

A place to discuss broadband, streaming video, cable, and satellite services (not programming). Bitch about your crappy cable, satellite or streaming video provider here! This is also the place to talk about channel line-ups, packages, and special offers.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

I finally did it!!! I dumped Xfinity for video service in favor of YouTubeTV!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:40 am

To hell with Comcast!!!

My prior service agreement expired last month. What had been an already high $219 for deluxe basic cable + X1 DVR + two HD-capable adapter boxes + phone line (needed for my security system) + 800 mbps internet climbed to a whopping $259 in my new bill.

That was the last straw.

I figured I would call up Xfinity, threaten to cancel, and at least receive a $20 or $30 monthly bill reduction for 6 months to 12 months to stay aboard. To my shock and dismay - no such reduced price was offered to me.

So, I followed through on my threat to cancel Xfinity video service, scaled back to internet + phone only, which with taxes & fees included, will run me $108 per month. I signed up for YouTubeTV a few weeks ago to give it a test run (trial subscription due to a promotion was three weeks in length).

Without add-ons, the price is $72.99 per month. For that price, I get NBA TV, NFL TV, all the collegiate conference sports networks, all the ESPN networks, FS1, FS2, all major local stations minus WMYD and WADL (a cable network-like CW feed is provided, though), and all of the major cable networks I give two craps about.

What is not included are the usual premium networks, Bally Sports, or a digital music service. The premium networks can be purchased as add-ons, but often times you can get the same programming for cheaper by downloading the streaming app for the premium network of interest. I won't pay attention to the Wings unless they make the playoffs whereas the Pistons are an abomination to the sport of basketball, so I could care less about not having Bally Sports Detroit. If the Tigers have an intriguing season, then I'll subscribe to Bally via its app sometime next year. I have plenty of ways to get digital music on my smart TVs already (including from the Sirius XM app), so the absence of Music Choice is no big loss.

Picture quality: fair to good. There is some variance depending on network watched. The lesser watched networks sometimes have lower resolution. The major networks' PQ is almost as good as Xfinity. A 4K programming package can be added for $9.99 a month. I gave this a test run and found it to be a waste of money.

Audio quality: good. I was hearing 5.1 channel audio on multiple networks.

Channel surfing ability: mediocre. Direct access by punching in channel numbers is, of course, unavailable. Also, there is no ability to go in a big circle by using the channel-up and channel-down keys. Once you reach the "last" channel, you can only use the channel-down key on the remote. If you are at the "first" channel (which for me is Fox 2), you can only use the channel-up key on the remote. Going to the programming guide to review programming options is the better bet, in most instances.

Programming guide: good. The ability to sort by categories is great and I love the fact thumbnail previews of programming appear. A great feature is the ability to display multiple channels from the same category on screen at the same time. For example, I can watch four different football games on screen simultaneously and choose which audio I want to hear from those four telecasts. So, why do I only rate the programming guide "good" and not "great" ? Simple. Being able to display full descriptive details for the program I'm watching or wish to watch (as opposed to partial details) is a PAIN IN THE NECK. It requires not one, not two, not three, but four (!!!) friggin' key strokes on the remote if I try to bring up this info in program. The ability to quickly pull up full program info on a smartphone with the YouTube TV app mitigates such nuisance to an extent.

Cloud DVR: TBD. I've not tried it yet.

Extras: good. With the YouTube TV app, I can watch my programming package anywhere on my smartphone. and I can also program my DVR from anywhere. Xfinity's app offers similar functionality but I've found their app to be buggy and difficult to use at times. The YouTube TV smartphone app seems much easier to use, and I can "push" programming from my phone to TVs connected to the same account. If traveling outside of your "home" area, there are some seemingly minor limitations.

More info: https://support.google.com/youtubetv/an ... ome%20area.

Check with your credit card issuer(s) to see if cashback discounts are offered with this or any other streaming service you are considering. AMEX Blue Cash Preferred, for example, offers 6 percent cashback on virtually every mainstream audio & video streaming subscription service that exists, including YouTube TV. For subscribers to YouTube TV's basic package, that amounts to about $50 annually in savings!

SUMMARY:
Instead of paying $259 per month to Xfinity for video, DVR, home phone and high speed internet service, I've divvied up these services between Xfinity and YouTube TV, and now will be paying about $181 per month (before credit card cash back).

The stuff I'm losing by ditching Xfinity for video service is of nominal value to me, so I think going this route and saving $78 per month is a slam dunk.

I know Wide Open West offers high speed internet and YouTube TV bundles, but I still have a very bad taste in my mouth from when I last used them eight years ago. Their customer service at the time was horrendous (far worse than Xfinity).

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

craig11152

Re: I finally did it!!! I dumped Xfinity for video service in favor of YouTubeTV!

Post by craig11152 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:00 am

I switched from Hulu to YouTube a few weeks ago. My only complaint is Hulu as an app was slightly more user friendly than YouTube is. And that is a small complaint that will go away once I get used to it.
So now I pay Comcast $72 a month for for 200 mbps with my own modem and router
You Tube is something like $55+/- for 3 months before it jumps to the normal $75 +/-
when that happens I will be at a little less than $150 a month for the two.
Of course I also pay Netflix HBO Max on a reduced rate and Starz on a reduced rate. When those discounts go away I will dump them, at least one of them.
I no longer directly engage trolls

km1125

Re: I finally did it!!! I dumped Xfinity for video service in favor of YouTubeTV!

Post by km1125 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:16 am

Sometimes with Comcast you actually have to schedule a disconnect to get their attention. Schedule it out 2 or 3 weeks "because you need to get something else installed" and then call them a back a week or so later because you're "reconsidering". If you're scheduled for a disconnect (and calling from a number they recognize (like the one on your account)) you'll automatically get routed to a different "save" customer service group who has access to offers that none of the other customer service reps get.

It also matters what time of month you call to 'discuss options'. Their financial close date is around the 21st of each month, so the week before you'll get more options than if you call the week after.

JMO, but paying over $200/mo is nuts, but I also don't see the value in the dedicated subscription sports channels that some do.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:43 am

If I can't get Turner Classic Movies or Bally Sports (despite the Pistons' ineptitude!), it ain't worth it to me. I just have to mark the Xfinity subscription end date on my calendar; I got burned twice. It helps that there's an Xfinity office nearby where I can go and raise hell if need be. :razz
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:52 am

You Tube is something like $55+/- for 3 months before it jumps to the normal $75 +/-
Dammit! I lost out on the $22 off per month for 3 months promo that was just launched. When I signed up, the promo at the time was a 21-day free trial (as opposed to the standard 7 days).

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

I suspect this current promotion launched either Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

Taco

Post by Taco » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:21 pm

Congratulations on dumping cable and going to YouTube TV. Have you considered dropping your internet from Xfinity and try using a 5G home streaming service? Most of the major cellular carriers offer it. Might be even cheaper than Xfinity.

A nice feature of YouTube TV, don't know if this applies to HULU TV, but when you leave your DMA market it will show you the locals for the area you are in and your locals will return when you are back home.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:20 pm

Taco wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:21 pm
Congratulations on dumping cable and going to YouTube TV. Have you considered dropping your internet from Xfinity and try using a 5G home streaming service? Most of the major cellular carriers offer it. Might be even cheaper than Xfinity.

A nice feature of YouTube TV, don't know if this applies to HULU TV, but when you leave your DMA market it will show you the locals for the area you are in and your locals will return when you are back home.
Thanks.

I've read bad things about TMO's home internet service (it is heavily deprioritized and also suffers if the 5G tower signal is weak, which happens to be true at my house).

I don't trust AT&T.

If Verizon offers such service in my neck of the woods, it is something I may consider in the future.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:27 am

I get three Spanish language networks in HD on YouTube TV. Interestingly, the Telemundo feed is actually from WSNS channel 44 in Chicago.

Too bad WGN-TV isn't carried.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:31 pm

We've been thinking about dropping Dish for a couple of years now. We subscribed to Hulu with Live TV in 2021, but we ended up staying with Dish because they bent over backward to keep us and gave us a reduced price.

My brother and sister-in-law dropped DirecTV and went with YouTubeTv as they now have the rights for NFL Sunday Ticket.

I think Music Choice now offers their channels DTC for just a dollar.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:11 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:43 am
If I can't get Turner Classic Movies or Bally Sports (despite the Pistons' ineptitude!), it ain't worth it to me. I just have to mark the Xfinity subscription end date on my calendar; I got burned twice. It helps that there's an Xfinity office nearby where I can go and raise hell if need be. :razz
YouTubeTV carries Turner Classic Movies as part of its basic lineup...in HD to boot.

No Bally Sports, but bear in mind they have their own smart TV app now (tough to say how much longer they'll even be in existence).

I get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN News, all the major collegiate conference networks, FS1, FS2, CBS Sports Network, NFL Network and NBA TV. No MLB Network, though, and I don't believe I get NHL Network, either. I am unsure about the Golf network (never watch it), and there is no channel 9 from Windsor.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:12 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:11 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:43 am
YouTubeTV carries Turner Classic Movies as part of its basic lineup...in HD to boot.

No Bally Sports, but bear in mind they have their own smart TV app now (tough to say how much longer they'll even be in existence).

I get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN News, all the major collegiate conference networks, FS1, FS2, CBS Sports Network, NFL Network and NBA TV. No MLB Network, though, and I don't believe I get NHL Network, either. I am unsure about the Golf network (never watch it), and there is no channel 9 from Windsor.
Thanks for that info. :blink Yes, the Bally Sports situation being up in the air leaves one in the lurch at this point. If the Tigers, Pistons, and Red Wings migrate to a local OTA as has been rumored, it would render my reasons for staying with Xfinity kinda moot, at least as it pertains to their video service. I should've also mentioned I like the ad-free movies on FLIX as well as the spacious DVR capacity.
"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:37 am

YouTube TV has cloud DVR with virtually unlimited storage. That's the good news.

The bad news - all recordings are deleted after 9 months (which is very stupid, if ya ask me).

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:17 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:37 am
YouTube TV has cloud DVR with virtually unlimited storage. That's the good news.

The bad news - all recordings are deleted after 9 months (which is very stupid, if ya ask me).
I would imagine there are some limits to their storage capacity. But I have to ask if you haven't watched something for 9 months was it really that important?
I no longer directly engage trolls

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:33 am

I assume the DVR has flexibility to add extra minutes to recordings for situations such as sports overruns? How many programs can be recorded at a time? My dad pays Spectrum $12.99 per month for the DVR and it only has two tuners. I switched to Tivo a long time ago as it is a hundred times better than the cable company DVR in my opinion, but I know the end is coming due to declining support of cable cards and the constant monthly price increases for cable.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:15 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:17 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:37 am

I would imagine there are some limits to their storage capacity. But I have to ask if you haven't watched something for 9 months was it really that important?
Youtube isn't really storing the content for you. They're just storing an index or pointer to the content you're interested in, and a couple more data points (like how much of it you watched already).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic