Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Philo

A place to discuss broadband, streaming video, cable, and satellite services (not programming). Bitch about your crappy cable, satellite or streaming video provider here! This is also the place to talk about channel line-ups, packages, and special offers.
thatonedude

Philo

Post by thatonedude » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:19 pm

So the wife and I recently subscribed to Philo. 70 or so channels for $25 a month.

Thoughts:
- Interface is clean, but the guide could use some work. When you’re accessing it, the grid has a freeze-frame or silent livestream of the channel when you hover over it. Not a fan. Would rather have a more streamlined guide akin to YTTV, Hulu (from what I remember), Sling, and cable.

- No sports, but that’s not a H*** loss.

- No CNN, MSNBC, or other standard cable news outlets. We do get BBC World News though! Also absent: The Weather Channel, replaced by AccuWeather.

- No Turner networks, however the standard Discovery slate of channels is present. Viacom and A&E network groups are available as well. Also present: most, if not all of Weigel’s diginets.

- The “free” channels (you still need a subscription to access them) are lackluster at best. Basically a YT playlist on shuffle. Kinda wondering if they’re just nothing but placeholders.

- Cloud DVR is nice, but I haven’t had a use for it yet.

- Picture quality is pretty good; unfortunately, it doesn’t appear they have 4K support. Seems most streams top out at 720p/30fps, according to what I’ve seen online when I searched about it. However, I personally haven’t noticed any pixelation or blurring in scenes or situations with a lot of motion. If there is any, it’s negligible at best.

Overall, I’d give it a 7/10. If they dump the free channels and add the Turner networks, TWC, and streamline the guide, it’ll be much better, but I’m assuming those aren’t on the lineup to keep the price down, so I can’t complain too much.

(Edited to include picture quality remarks)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by thatonedude on Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

take this job and shove it