Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

T-Mobile Home Internet

A place to discuss broadband, streaming video, cable, and satellite services (not programming). Bitch about your crappy cable, satellite or streaming video provider here! This is also the place to talk about channel line-ups, packages, and special offers.
Deleted User 15502

T-Mobile Home Internet

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:01 am

I'm curious about this, if it works that well. Currently I have internet through the cable company, I'm paying about 80$ a month, I don't have the highest speed but the next one down. It would be nice to have a modem I could put anyplace in the house, not just where there is a cable outlet.

Does anyone here have this?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: T-Mobile Home Internet

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:20 pm

I received a placard in the mail a couple weeks ago touting T-Mobile's high speed internet. Once I saw the price ($60 per month) I laughed and quickly tossed it in the recycle bin.

$80 a month seems very expensive to me. Is that price inclusive of all taxes & fees?

Verizon is also offering 5G home internet in certain locales. $50 per month if you are an existing Verizon phone customer, otherwise it costs an outrageous $70 per month. Although, Verizon does say its price is a true out-the-door price and is fully inclusive of all taxes, fees and equipment charges. Not sure about T-Mobile, but Verizon is promising average speeds of 300 mbps.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:26 pm

T-Mobile's speed promises are much less ambitious than those of Verizon:

https://www.t-mobile.com/isp/plan

(Go to the "Got Questions" section)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:48 pm

A high school acquaintance subscribed to the T-Mobile service and hates it. Says the speeds are terrible.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:20 pm

I just had a customer walk into my door with one of these (it is a T-Mobile internet gateway) and asked for some help re-configuring the SSID's.

I'm on the north edge of East Tawas where cell service is pretty bad, and I have to say I am AMAZED at the speeds I'm getting. Ran a speed test and got 118 MBPS down and 18 MBPS up. And that was on a weak signal of about -84db with a 22db SNR.

So at least here in my exact location, I'm VERY IMPRESSED!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:48 pm

I signed up for a free 3 month trial to Google Fi earlier this week and did so in conjunction with my purchase of a Google Pixel 5a phone (what a mouthful, right?). Of the three phones Google is currently selling, this one is the middle child in terms of price.

I was torn between the Samsung A52, Samsung A42, iPhone 12 mini, the Pixel 5a, and the Samsung S20 FE.

I ultimately went with the Pixel 5a because it is waterproof, has a headphone out jack, has an above average battery, and is generally considered one of the best mid-priced phones. It is also a newly released phone, which means it should be eligible to receive all OS updates for at least the next three years. (I won't bore you guys with the details as to why that is essential for me.)

Now, why is this related to T-Mobile's home internet service? Simple. Google Fi is an MVNO that uses the T-Mobile and Sprint cellular networks, in addition to Google Fi hotspots.

A half mile to a mile east of me, a half mile south, and a half mile west, 5G coverage is rock solid. On my street, it sucks. I've been getting between a -102 dBm and -115 dBm signal, and at times, it drops to LTE. When using the cell towers, my peak download speed is only ~35 mbps. That's terrible by 5G standards and is slightly worse than what I was receiving with 4G LTE through Verizon.

When I did some shopping earlier today, I did a speedtest in the parking lot where the 5G signal (likely low band) was an outstanding -55 dBm. Much better - received 120 mbps in that spot.

Although download speed indoors at the house is very disappointing, I don't really care, since I will be always connected to Wi-Fi, so long as there isn't a cable service outage or power outage. Call clarity is very good. Over Wi-Fi, on a 2.4 GHz connection, I'm able to download 200 mbps, which is excellent given the fact my wireless router is located in the basement. That's triple the speed of my old phone, which was a Galaxy S7 Edge.

The 5G weak spot in my neighborhood would definitely be an issue, I would think, for anyone signing up for T-Mobile's home internet service.

When I go up to the boonies early next month, about 10 miles from Baldwin, I am anxious to see how my reception performs up there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic