Acceptable registrations in the queue through January 10 at 7:30a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

A place to discuss broadband, streaming video, cable, and satellite services (not programming). Bitch about your crappy cable, satellite or streaming video provider here! This is also the place to talk about channel line-ups, packages, and special offers.
User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4823
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:45 am

Did some snooping online and realized I could upgrade from digital starter to digital preferred and double my internet speed at a 2-year promo rate for the same price I'm paying today!

Not too shabby.

$165 a month (with all taxes & fees) for three boxes (including an X1 DVR), unlimited phone and 300 megabits internet. In Metro Detroit, about $20 of that price goes to FSN and our local broadcast outlets for retrans fees. The window price for this package deal, which is misleading of course, is $110 a month.

Glad to see I now receive BBC World News in HD among many other interesting channels. Those interested in Israeli news geared to an American audience can watch Tel Aviv-based i24 News in HD.

I know Xfinity now offers a pure streaming version for video service, but for all two or three years since launch, they've characterized it as a "beta" system. Roku and Samsung smart TV users can sign up for it. I have Roku integrated into an Insignia TV in my bedroom, but I absolutely hate the Roku remote (no numeric keys!). I would be curious to know if anyone has tried this service.


Tesla cars are overpriced rolling shitboxes on wheels.

MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 2391
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:03 am

Apparently, I heard 2nd hand that my 2 year package deal could be extended at the same rate if I act before the conclusion of my contract. It ends next month. Currently, I pay $155.63 after all taxes including modem rental for digital preferred, no sports and entertainment or premiums. This is $114.99 as a presenting price. I feel hemmed in because it's not like WOW can come and install their stuff if I switched. It's frustrating.

I have been with Comcast since 2015, so I have an older generation box that does not get any access to apps other than sports scores.


"I think that those who would try to make you feel less than who you are, I think that's the greatest evil."- Fred Rogers
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."-Winston Churchill

User avatar
audiophile
Posts: 6091
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Between 88 and 108 MHz.

Re: I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by audiophile » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:48 pm

So an unemployed person wants to renew at $114 a month???

I'm employed and just use a tv antenna.


Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 2391
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:03 pm

This includes internet and TV. Internet by itself is not much cheaper. Please stay out of this if you want to criticize.


"I think that those who would try to make you feel less than who you are, I think that's the greatest evil."- Fred Rogers
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."-Winston Churchill

User avatar
audiophile
Posts: 6091
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Between 88 and 108 MHz.

Re: I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by audiophile » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:18 pm

I wasn't critical, but I was questioning the wisdom of the expense, as you have indicated that you are unemployed and have complained you can't find a job. You also have indicated you have taken financial assistance from your parents.

My internet is $40 a month.


Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 2391
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:11 am

audiophile wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:18 pm
I wasn't critical, but I was questioning the wisdom of the expense, as you have indicated that you are unemployed and have complained you can't find a job. You also have indicated you have taken financial assistance from your parents.

My internet is $40 a month.
Wrong. I had built up my savings and am known in my friend group as the frugal one. I have zero unsecured debt which most people my age cannot say.


"I think that those who would try to make you feel less than who you are, I think that's the greatest evil."- Fred Rogers
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."-Winston Churchill

User avatar
audiophile
Posts: 6091
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Between 88 and 108 MHz.

Re: I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by audiophile » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:01 pm

Which ones are wrong? I remember you commenting on all of these thing recently.


Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 2391
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:50 pm

I am done talking to you.


"I think that those who would try to make you feel less than who you are, I think that's the greatest evil."- Fred Rogers
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."-Winston Churchill

User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 871
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by craig11152 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:11 pm

audiophile wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:18 pm
My internet is $40 a month.
Out of curiosity who supplies it and what sort of download and upload speeds are we talking about?


I no longer directly engage trolls

User avatar
audiophile
Posts: 6091
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Between 88 and 108 MHz.

Re: I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:28 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:55 pm
Matt wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:03 pm
MCRF, growth is certainly possible, and I commend you for it. If you don't mind me asking, how did your parents take the news? I have a brother in law that had a similar religious upbringing that is still mostly in the closet. He's scared to be his real self for fear of driving his ultra-religious mom over the edge. I'm personally of the opinion that he just needs to rip the bandaid off and let the chips fall as they may. He has been in a relationship with a much older man for the last 12 years.
My parents did not take the news well. However, I had reached out to my friends and extended family first to build up support.

Backstory: This was during 2014. It was a cold ass winter if you remember. I had severe headaches and dizziness in 2013, and DTE had let me go that October for using too many sick days. I had a lot of time to think. I couldn't keep up the facade any longer. Actually, it was several people being out here that planted the seed and made me realize I could come out.

Anyways, I came out very gradually throughout the year. I think one of the biggest "wins" was my brother being so accepting. Then, my aunt volunteered to be with me when I came out to my mom and dad(both separately in July 2014). Mom initially took it well, but my dad was visibly upset. It was a real risk because they were helping me financially. Although I wasn't disowned, they refused to have dinner with my boyfriend in 2015. Our relationship isn't quite what it was, but I have all my cards on the table. I am not living a lie anymore.

I recommend only coming out if you are financial independent and have allies.

I did want to add that I was mainly nasty to people like Rage because he was nasty to me. I was friends with Bruce Dickinson/Brian and GR(RIP) both despite my beliefs and self loathing at the time.


Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

User avatar
audiophile
Posts: 6091
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Between 88 and 108 MHz.

Re: I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:33 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:11 pm
audiophile wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:18 pm
My internet is $40 a month.
Out of curiosity who supplies it and what sort of download and upload speeds are we talking about?
10 MBPS /10 MBPS Verizon


Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MotorCityRadioFreak
Posts: 2391
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:26 am
Location: Worn, MI

Re: I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:17 pm

audiophile wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:28 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:55 pm
Matt wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:03 pm
MCRF, growth is certainly possible, and I commend you for it. If you don't mind me asking, how did your parents take the news? I have a brother in law that had a similar religious upbringing that is still mostly in the closet. He's scared to be his real self for fear of driving his ultra-religious mom over the edge. I'm personally of the opinion that he just needs to rip the bandaid off and let the chips fall as they may. He has been in a relationship with a much older man for the last 12 years.
My parents did not take the news well. However, I had reached out to my friends and extended family first to build up support.

Backstory: This was during 2014. It was a cold ass winter if you remember. I had severe headaches and dizziness in 2013, and DTE had let me go that October for using too many sick days. I had a lot of time to think. I couldn't keep up the facade any longer. Actually, it was several people being out here that planted the seed and made me realize I could come out.

Anyways, I came out very gradually throughout the year. I think one of the biggest "wins" was my brother being so accepting. Then, my aunt volunteered to be with me when I came out to my mom and dad(both separately in July 2014). Mom initially took it well, but my dad was visibly upset. It was a real risk because they were helping me financially. Although I wasn't disowned, they refused to have dinner with my boyfriend in 2015. Our relationship isn't quite what it was, but I have all my cards on the table. I am not living a lie anymore.

I recommend only coming out if you are financial independent and have allies.

I did want to add that I was mainly nasty to people like Rage because he was nasty to me. I was friends with Bruce Dickinson/Brian and GR(RIP) both despite my beliefs and self loathing at the time.
Yes, I then worked from 2016 to late last year and am not relying on my parents at this time because of living frugally. I had saved quite a bit.


"I think that those who would try to make you feel less than who you are, I think that's the greatest evil."- Fred Rogers
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it."-Winston Churchill

User avatar
audiophile
Posts: 6091
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:21 pm
Location: Between 88 and 108 MHz.

Re: I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:24 pm

Ok, carry on.


Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4823
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:00 pm

10 MBPS /10 MBPS Verizon
$40 a month seems pricy for just 10 mbps.


Tesla cars are overpriced rolling shitboxes on wheels.

kager
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:10 pm
Location: GPS lost

Re: I'm gonna give Comcast/Xfinity some credit

Post by kager » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:56 am

In case you didn't see this, Comcast recently made it known that other things will be soon be dropping on customers as well...

Charter / Spectrum comparison:

In our case, we can't get Comcast, (Verizon FIOS, or any other non-wireless broadband for that matter) where we live; and OTA signals for local TV - when they exist - are weak at best. Therefore, options and bargaining chips are slim for us when fixed terrestrial broadband and access to all local TV channels are minimum requirements. Nevertheless, we were paying Spectrum over $205/mo, so something had to give.

A call to Charter / Spectrum to cancel some services eventually landed me a 'customer retention specialist' on the other end of the line. In the end, dropping some things we didn't use anyway, quadrupling internet speed and getting some promo discounts designed for actual existing customers made their monthly cost at least a bit more bearable:


Before:
  • Silver cable package (expanded TV + HBO & Showtime) 93.99 + 2 receivers @ 7.99/ea = $109.97
  • 100/10 Internet (65.99 - 6.00 'bundle' discount) = $59.99
  • Spectrum Voice landline service = $19.99
  • Broadcast TV surcharge (WTF?) = $16.45
  • Taxes - FCC Admin Fee 0.08 + State PSC Fee 0.01 = $0.09
Total: $206.49


After:
  • TV Select Basic & Expanded 73.99 - 30.00 12m cust ret disc + Cable Card 2.00 = $45.99
  • 400/20 'Ultra' Internet (65.99 standard + 20.00 Ultra - 20.00 36mo Ultra) = $65.99
  • Spectrum Voice landline service = $9.99
  • Broadcast TV surcharge = $16.45
  • Taxes - FCC Admin Fee 0.08 + State PSC Fee 0.01 = $0.09
Total: $138.51


Takeaways:
  • Pricing on streaming video / TV services continue to rise.
I test-drove YouTube TV (and considered Hulu Plus TV & others) as a local channel live TV provider... while it had a great interface and DVR service, @ $65/mo, it still cost more than what I am getting under promo from Spectrum. Netflix just jacked up their price once again for a service unfortunately is becoming less and less about anything they don't produce in-house. You also need consider how many simultaneous devices/streams you need to support before they jack up the price further.
  • Spectrum allows you to use an Apple TV (4th gen or newer) instead of the (IMO outrageously FCC-sanctioned $7.99/ea/mo) receiver required just for the ability to view their channels on each TV.
I didn't get the memo on this, but it works for me. Spectrum will sell one or more to you if you don't have one. Even the horsesh*t requirement that you have at least one of those traditional Arris receivers may be waived by subscribing to what they call a "Spectrum Cable Card"; it's virtual, and only $2/mo vs. $7.99.

However, this means you have to stream TV via the Spectrum TV app (no more sync'd AV content if all TV's in the house are on the same channel), but also means you may do so wirelessly - no need for a coax cable with limited hops to a box for each TV. And unfortunately, Spectrum's lack of a usable Android TV app will be a non-starter (no Firestick for you!) for some.
  • You aren't going to get a courtesy call from cable providers asking if you want faster / better service at a lower price just because you are a good customer and pay your bills on time.
You've got to make the call.

We were able to shave ~33% off our Spectrum bill for at least 1 year with no contract, and make use of some gear that were primarily novelty electronics (Apple TV) beforehand (that alone saved us >$165 /year). We also eliminated the heat generated (and space and electricity consumed by) those damn receivers, and no longer need use their oversized remotes with shlt crummy crippled user interface.

Plus we had our internet download speed quadrupled for a tiny increase in price. That alone was worth the price of the call for me.


"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic