Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

TCM

A place to discuss broadband, streaming video, cable, and satellite services (not programming). Bitch about your crappy cable, satellite or streaming video provider here! This is also the place to talk about channel line-ups, packages, and special offers.
EdWalker

Re: TCM

Post by EdWalker » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:24 pm

TCM is included with YouTubeTV.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:01 pm

I recently starting subscribing to the Classic Reel channel on Roku for $2.99/month. It's got a great selection of old movies from the 30s, 40s, and 50s. I've watched about 10 movies so far and no ads have popped up. They are constantly adding more movies and they have good popup descriptions and search tools.

One odd thing: the studio logo is usually cut off at the beginning of the movie. Does this make these movies less expensive to sell, like the old cutout records (with the hole in the corner) and paperback books being sold without covers?

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/8 ... assic-reel

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:11 am

This stuff has gotten way out of hand. I don't know too many folks that have traditional cable anymore. We are strictly streaming. Too much money for a lot of shit we are NEVEREVEREVEREVEREVER gonna watch.

It used to be so much simpler. 30, 40 or whatever channels, one price. Want HBO? Another $15 a month. Want PASS? Another $5.95 a month. Wasn't hard.

Then they started in with "economy package", "limited basic" and 5 HBO's and 3 Showtimes. ESPN alone cost $5 a month with no plans to move that to another tier. This tier, that tier, oh if you want that, it's another $20 a month, unless you buy a landline, then it's only another $10 a month.

Then the movie channels started getting worse. It became a waste to spend $25 a month on those channels. Especially when you're never home to watch!

Cord cutting, OTA and streaming were the logical steps. Where they got me is local sports, but who the hell is worth watching anyway?

The providers made their bed, they can sleep in it.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:23 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:11 am
This stuff has gotten way out of hand. I don't know too many folks that have traditional cable anymore. We are strictly streaming. Too much money for a lot of shit we are NEVEREVEREVEREVEREVER gonna watch.
I’m with you on that. Cable companies and networks are so bloated with hot air in the TV realm. I got rid of cable TV in about 2016. For about 3 years leading up to that, I never used the cable TV i was paying for. Once I cut cable TV, and began using an antenna and a few streaming services, I never once regretted getting rid of cable, and never missed anything on it. I feel like cable TV is so antiquated, inflexible to my schedule, and nothing exclusive to it worth watching. If it’s on cable, I can most likely find it somewhere else for a fraction of the cost. My favorite stuff actually isn’t available on cable.

I have been trying to get my parents to cut the cable, and they admit they can save money and have better access to content since they did adopt streaming, but they insist on continuing to pay some astronomical rate for cable so they can watch one religious personality on Sunday.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:07 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:23 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:11 am
I’m with you on that. Cable companies and networks are so bloated with hot air in the TV realm. I got rid of cable TV in about 2016. For about 3 years leading up to that, I never used the cable TV i was paying for. Once I cut cable TV, and began using an antenna and a few streaming services, I never once regretted getting rid of cable, and never missed anything on it. I feel like cable TV is so antiquated, inflexible to my schedule, and nothing exclusive to it worth watching. If it’s on cable, I can most likely find it somewhere else for a fraction of the cost. My favorite stuff actually isn’t available on cable.

I have been trying to get my parents to cut the cable, and they admit they can save money and have better access to content since they did adopt streaming, but they insist on continuing to pay some astronomical rate for cable so they can watch one religious personality on Sunday.
Get them an antenna and show them channel 38 😂

It used to be worth it. Just like with radio, cable used to be the only way to watch something. There was that or VCR. It's all the must-carry shit, too. If you carry ESPN, then you have to carry the other 5 networks they own. 30-40 channels plus movies was plenty.

They also thought they got us with moving all local sports to cable only (aside from the NFL; all games, even national ones, have to be shown in the home market, so that's cool). You used to get at least half of Tigers, Pistons and Red Wings games on a local channel (50, 4, whatever).

I got Showtime for my fiancé a couple years ago just for "Shameless". $10.99 a month plus tax. I thought 'well, we had Showtime a lot when I was younger, there should be some good movies on there for me'. BZZZZZT. Wrong. A couple good ones, a whole lot of trash and they never switched them out.

It's just like most other things corporations do when they get their hands on something...fix it until it's broken. And now we speak with our wallets.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic