Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Anybody here REALLY understand modulation?

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
km1125

Anybody here REALLY understand modulation?

Post by km1125 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:14 pm

Just curious if we have any gurus here that understand the intricacies of different modulation techniques and their respective impacts on modulation bandwidth and things like second and third order distortions.

If so, I have a few questions.

Round Six

Re: Anybody here REALLY understand modulation?

Post by Round Six » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:28 pm

Well shoot out the questions. Let's see what you got.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:33 pm

If I were to digitally modulate a carrier, using a data rate exactly matching the carrier frequency and synchronized such that each single wave (starting at the upward zero-crossing point)is either at the full level (0% modulation) or reduced in amplitude by a set amount (say, 50%), what would the sidebands look like, or how much bandwidth would be used?

This would represent 0101010101:

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:01 am

I would predict that the Earth would lose gravity and that we would all go spinning into space.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:39 am

FM bandwidth is deviation plus audio frequency.

AM bandwidth is just audio frequency.

If the transition occurs at the zero crossing points, I was thinking this would be like morse code. Narrow bandwidth, but not zero bandwidth.

EDIT: I have spectrum plots I created in Cool Edit. 50% is narrower than 0%.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:16 am

audiophile wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:39 am
FM bandwidth is deviation plus audio frequency.

AM bandwidth is just audio frequency.

If the transition occurs at the zero crossing points, I was thinking this would be like morse code. Narrow bandwidth, but not zero bandwidth.

EDIT: I have spectrum plots I created in Cool Edit. 50% is narrower than 0%.
Why not zero? If I have a clean unmodulated CW carrier at 400Mhz and 10dBm, it's bandwidth is zero. If I have a clean unmodulated CW carrier at 400Mhz and 5dBm, it's bandwidth is also zero. If I toggle between them at precisely a zero-crossing point, then why would I have any bandwidth other than zero? Practically, if there is some 'slop' in the zero-crossing then I would have some bandwidth incurred, but would that also be at very, very low power levels since it is when the carrier is at near-zero dBm? And that bandwidth transmitted could be impacted by a filter or other anomaly and it wouldn't have any impact on the received carrier, because it doesn't actually carry any of the useful information.

To extrapolate the idea, what if I have 8 or 16 carriers all at the same exact frequency but just differentiated in power and switch between them at the zero-crossing point? This would be like one of the QAM carriers in a 256QAM application, except that the bandwidth of the modulated signal would be (essentially) zero vs taking up 6 or 8 MHz. You could reduce the spacing on the adjacent channels significantly, increasing the overall throughput of the system.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:06 am

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic