Acceptable registrations in the queue through July 13 at 8:30a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Was This Ransomware?

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 9011
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Was This Ransomware?

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:37 pm

Last night my computer froze up. A message came on the screen saying "Your computer has been locked. Contact us immediately for technical assistance."

I couldn't navigate away from that screen. I had no access to the start menu to shut down the computer.

I pressed and held the power switch and did a hard shutdown. I turned off my WiFi and restarted the computer. It came back up OK. Then I turned the WiFi back on and it seems OK now.


I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

User avatar
ZenithCKLW
Posts: 861
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:21 am
Location: Livonia, MI

Re: Was This Ransomware?

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:28 am

Not likely ransomware. Likely a browser hijack from an infected website or a bad popup. Alt+F4 it and it should go away without the drastic step of a hard shutdown like that.

bmw
Posts: 7163
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: Was This Ransomware?

Post by bmw » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:07 pm

I get a call at least once a week on this. It amazes me Google hasn't yet figured out a way to block these kinds of hijacks. Bottom line, as long as you didn't call the phone number on the screen and let someone remote into your PC, you'll be fine.

User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 9011
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Was This Ransomware?

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:42 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:07 pm
I get a call at least once a week on this. It amazes me Google hasn't yet figured out a way to block these kinds of hijacks. Bottom line, as long as you didn't call the phone number on the screen and let someone remote into your PC, you'll be fine.
Someone called me on the phone one day and told me they had detected a problem in my computer. He told me to go to my computer and they would walk me through it. I just laid down the phone and went on drinking my coffee,
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

User avatar
ZenithCKLW
Posts: 861
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:21 am
Location: Livonia, MI

Re: Was This Ransomware?

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:05 pm

Scam.

User avatar
Honeyman
Posts: 6228
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Was This Ransomware?

Post by Honeyman » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:35 pm

Lay off the porn.
The censorship king from out of state.

Deleted User 15924

Re: Was This Ransomware?

Post by Deleted User 15924 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:07 am

Honeyman wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:35 pm
Lay off the porn.
If he did that, he wouldn't of had to lay the phone down.

User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 9011
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: Was This Ransomware?

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:03 pm

Round Six wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:07 am
Honeyman wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:35 pm
Lay off the porn.
If he did that, he wouldn't of had to lay the phone down.
My phone is on the kitchen wall. It doesn't do porn.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

User avatar
Splouge
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:34 pm

Re: Was This Ransomware?

Post by Splouge » Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:29 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:03 pm
Round Six wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:07 am
Honeyman wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:35 pm
Lay off the porn.
If he did that, he wouldn't of had to lay the phone down.
My phone is on the kitchen wall. It doesn't do porn.
I didn't know 976 numbers still existed.
"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic