Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Don't download Android 13!

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Don't download Android 13!

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:02 am

So far, Android 13 has brought me superficial GUI upgrades and noticeably shorter battery life.

I hear that on Google's current flagship phone, the Google Pixel 6, the battery life differential is disastrous.

Do their asshole software programmers do ANY quality assurance testing before rolling operating system updates into production?

Deleted User 15783

Re: Don't download Android 13!

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:43 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:02 am
... Do their asshole software programmers do ANY quality assurance testing before rolling operating system updates into production?
I'm nowhere near an expert on these sort of things. But I would surmise the
battery issues may be due to so many different processes running. The engineers upgraded (bloated) every default app that just has to run in the background. All in the name of Mother Google knowing even more of what you are doing on your phone.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:55 pm

Reading the android site, 12 is only available for Pixel. There is no mention of 13.

So I take it, you have a pixel?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:23 am

Yes, I have a Pixel 5a. Was getting intermittent notifications for close to a week to download the "stable release" of Android 13.

Other Android users (Samsung, for example) should start receiving prompts to install soon if using a supported device (i.e. generally phones released within the past few years).

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:00 pm

So they're going to just skip right over 12? Samsung only has Android 11 currently.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:55 pm

I was on 12 until "upgrading" to 13.

I turned off adaptive network connectivity late last night, and battery life seems to be back to normal now.

If your phone is more than a couple years old, it might not receive further updates.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:03 am

The other thing that bugs the shit out of me regarding the 5a 5G Pixel is that it was marketed as unlocked phone that is compatible with all major cellular networks in the United States.

Guess what? Can't use it with Verizon or any of Verizon's MVNOs. The IMEI number is not recognized. Supposedly, Google forgot to send batches of IMEI numbers to Verizon when the devices were manufactured.

I would LOVE to try U.S. Mobile's "Warp Speed" 5G service or Twigby's 4G/5G service, but cannot do so because of the above issue. I did find a complicated set of instructions on U.S. Mobile's web site, which requires manually adding not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 (!!!) different APNs, among other changes to Android settings.

I might give those a try in the coming days just to see if it fixes the issue.

While I like Mint Mobile's prices and user friendly app, the de-prioritization of Mint-related traffic by T-Mobile has become noticeably worse lately. What used to be ~15 mbps to 20 mbps average download speeds on 4G LTE has become ~6 mbps, even during non-peak periods. I noticed similar de-prioritization on Ting this past spring.

I might give Tello or Connect by T-Mobile a try next, assuming I cannot get my Verizon SIM card from U.S. Mobile to work properly. Connect by T-Mobile, despite being a prepaid plan, offers some domestic roaming capability, which is a big plus compared to most of the MVNOs that run on T-Mobile's network.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:12 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:03 am
The other thing that bugs the shit out of me regarding the 5a 5G Pixel is that it was marketed as unlocked phone that is compatible with all major cellular networks in the United States.

Guess what? Can't use it with Verizon or any of Verizon's MVNOs. The IMEI number is not recognized. Supposedly, Google forgot to send batches of IMEI numbers to Verizon when the devices were manufactured.

I would LOVE to try U.S. Mobile's "Warp Speed" 5G service or Twigby's 4G/5G service, but cannot do so because of the above issue. I did find a complicated set of instructions on U.S. Mobile's web site, which requires manually adding not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 (!!!) different APNs, among other changes to Android settings.

I might give those a try in the coming days just to see if it fixes the issue.

While I like Mint Mobile's prices and user friendly app, the de-prioritization of Mint-related traffic by T-Mobile has become noticeably worse lately. What used to be ~15 mbps to 20 mbps average download speeds on 4G LTE has become ~6 mbps, even during non-peak periods. I noticed similar de-prioritization on Ting this past spring.

I might give Tello or Connect by T-Mobile a try next, assuming I cannot get my Verizon SIM card from U.S. Mobile to work properly. Connect by T-Mobile, despite being a prepaid plan, offers some domestic roaming capability, which is a big plus compared to most of the MVNOs that run on T-Mobile's network.
To this end, I've recently been a lot of places in michigan where (and I never thought I'd say this) VZ coverage is inferior to that of T-Mobile. I think it has something to do with TMo having taken over sprint cellsites. For instance, where I live there's a Tmo tower a mile away - provides perfect 5g service here. With VZ, the tower is 3x the distance away, and I get a barely usable 4g connection. I've recently been looking into Tmo myself (but not their MVNOs because they throttle too much)

I also recently learned, that no matter what kind of signal you have on VZ, the only place in michigan you'll actually roam to another network is in the tip of the thumb region. IE; if you're in Roscommon County and can't get a VZ signal, you're SOL

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:33 am

On my phone, if I go into network settings and deactivate "automatically select network," I can see the signal strengths of all major carriers. TMO is the only carrier where I'm able to receive any 5G signal (albeit mediocre to poor) indoors. All of 'em deliver equal or nearly equal 4G strength (fair to good).

Near me, I think they all have equipment on the nearest towers. They all seem to concentrate their signal penetration along the major commercial corridors, too, to the detriment of residential areas. A few blocks east or west can make a major impact on signal strength & download speed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic