Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

House phone using WiFi

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Deleted User 15783

House phone using WiFi

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:51 am

I think a fair amount of my fellow Buzzboarders are more tech savvy than myself. I've been pondering.

As many of us experience, I sometimes have to launch a search for my cell. Where could it be? If only I had a way to ring it when I am home alone. I got to thinking. I have a couple of Androids with no service, but the WiFi works just fine.

What's the mechanics involved in Google phone? Is it free? Could I use one of my old Androids as a free house phone? And as a bonus, would giving out another number cut down the amount of spam on my daily carry phone?

If I can't do it for free, I may as well go get some pay as you go $10 TracFone or Mint or Tello or something like that.
(I did do some research :) ).

Thanks.

craig11152

Re: House phone using WiFi

Post by craig11152 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:20 am

As far as I know a smart phone without a service plan is just a tiny computer that can surf the web with WIFI. Like your desk top or laptop you can't make phone calls, even VOIP calls, unless there is an actual phone number attached to the device.

I no longer directly engage trolls

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:31 am

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:58 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic