Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Google engineer put on leave for claiming a chatbot was conscious

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
bmw

Google engineer put on leave for claiming a chatbot was conscious

Post by bmw » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:49 pm

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 178185.cms

I read through the whole chat. I have to admit that this is way more sophisticated than what I remember Skype's chat bot being like 10 years ago, but sentient? No way.

Ben Zonia

Re: Google engineer put on leave for claiming a chatbot was conscious

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:02 pm

Most AI is just plain dumb. Try telling an AI phone router anything but the simplest things, and it won't be able to route your call properly. AND it won't give you a human to ask anything remotely complex. AND you won't be able to find another number to call.
It may give you an email address, but good luck getting anyone to respond anytime soon. If ever. And if it is about repairs, unless it's warranty repairs for specific brands and items, their advice is to return it to the place you bought it. And now, many defective items are just too expensive to return. They'll give you credit and tell you to keep it. Welcome to the wonderful world we are living in since March, 2020.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:09 pm

That was an interesting read.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:27 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:02 pm
Most AI is just plain dumb. Try telling an AI phone router anything but the simplest things, and it won't be able to route your call properly. AND it won't give you a human to ask anything remotely complex. AND you won't be able to find another number to call.
It may give you an email address, but good luck getting anyone to respond anytime soon. If ever. And if it is about repairs, unless it's warranty repairs for specific brands and items, their advice is to return it to the place you bought it. And now, many defective items are just too expensive to return. They'll give you credit and tell you to keep it. Welcome to the wonderful world we are living in since March, 2020.
I don't know any phone routers that actually use AI. Most are just voice-to-text conversions, and then the SW developers just include a bunch of IF-THEN statements to route their best guess at what you might have meant.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:53 pm

Don't put him on leave. Just whack him in the head and tell him to shut up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic