Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

3G cellular network shutdown

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
bmw

3G cellular network shutdown

Post by bmw » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:44 pm

AT&T was supposed to shut down their 3G networks today. So far both of my old 3G flip phones (which I'm not happy I had to replace) are till receiving 3G signals (even though I can longer use them since I transferred my numbers to new phones).

I stuck with flip phones, but I much preferred my LG-model 3G phones over these new 4G Android-based ones that I have now. There's now no such thing as a small, compact, and lightweight flip phone. That, and the 3G phones were much "snappier" (ie, more responsive) to use. These 4G models feel really laggy with every button press. So much for technology advancing I guess.

Anybody else out there affected by this? I had no idea that millions of non-phone 3G devices are out there, from home alarms to solar panel monitors to vehicle roadside assistance. I suspect that AT&T may actually leave their 3G active for months.

btw - Verizon is going to leave theirs on through the end of the year.

kager

Re: 3G cellular network shutdown

Post by kager » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:29 pm

EPS, Inc. (security) has been hounding us to upgrade a home security system for quite some time. It wasn't that long ago that we _had_ to upgrade because 2G was going away.

Then 3G was going away. Funny thing is, the longer we waited, the cheaper it became to upgrade.

1. First time around, it was free IF you signed a 3-year contract renewal
2. Second time around, it was $5 a month more, no contract renewal
3. Third pitch was $50 flat, no contract
4. Now, it is free, no contract

Either liability would bite them, or these SimpiSafe-type internet install-it-yourself security outfits are taking a bite out traditional security vendors' slice of the pie.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:34 pm

GM OnStar in older vehicles uses 3G connectivity. Got a notice last year that in order to maintain most OnStar vehicle services, they will be sending customers a module to plug in under the dash, presumably into the diagnostic connector. All communications with the vehicle will presumably on 4G, via their smartphone App, until either that shuts down or the vehicle simply ages out.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:20 am

Was 3G really that much of a bandwidth hog to necessitate shutting it down?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:21 pm

I don't think plugging a dongle into a diagnostic connector would be a good idea, if that is indeed the direction OnStar heads.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:07 pm

I had to upgrade my phone as well. T-Mobile upgraded me for free to a nice 5G phone. Works great!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:43 pm

My phone is on the kitchen wall. It still works OK.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:16 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:21 pm
I don't think plugging a dongle into a diagnostic connector would be a good idea, if that is indeed the direction OnStar heads.
The vehicle's comms to the OnStar system, which are now using 3G and 2G are supposed to be via the new dongle (not anybody's phone), plugged into the diagnostic or some other under-dash access point. Their App, on your phone, will communicate your info to and from OnStar via the interwebs, much like it already does. Also to provide those who pay for it, connected services like wifi hotspot. I've yet to be sent the new hardware. From the notice sent out last fall:
...the OnStar® services in your [GM vehicle] run on a 2G connection, and as cellular carriers transition throughout 2022 to 4G or 5G networks, your OnStar connectivity will be impacted. That's why we’re proactively addressing this issue by providing the all-new OnStar Link ™ to eligible Members at no cost. OnStar Link is a plug-in device that will enable you to maintain most of your safety services.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:42 am

Not a good idea; not a chance in hell I'd plug any such device into my car's OBD port:

How Car Wi-Fi Dongles Could Lead to Disaster
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/obd2-dongl ... 21590.html

Goof of the Month: Careful What You Plug into Your OBD Port!
https://www.autotrader.ca/editorial/201 ... -obd-port/

OBDII port - careful when you plug things..
https://www.ssforums.com/threads/obdii- ... ngs.22266/

On top of the hazards noted in the above articles, such devices can cause car battery drain if left plugged in 24/7 while the car is turned off.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:17 pm

bmw wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:44 pm
AT&T was supposed to shut down their 3G networks today. So far both of my old 3G flip phones (which I'm not happy I had to replace) are till receiving 3G signals (even though I can longer use them since I transferred my numbers to new phones).

I stuck with flip phones, but I much preferred my LG-model 3G phones over these new 4G Android-based ones that I have now. There's now no such thing as a small, compact, and lightweight flip phone. That, and the 3G phones were much "snappier" (ie, more responsive) to use. These 4G models feel really laggy with every button press. So much for technology advancing I guess.

Anybody else out there affected by this? I had no idea that millions of non-phone 3G devices are out there, from home alarms to solar panel monitors to vehicle roadside assistance. I suspect that AT&T may actually leave their 3G active for months.

btw - Verizon is going to leave theirs on through the end of the year.
For years, I used a very light flip phone (Alcatel A206G) for use while riding my bicycle. Very useful in case I need to call someone for help.

This past summer, I got a notice that my phone was being retired because it was not 3G capable.

Trac Fone arranged for me to get a new flip phone by mail and start the new phone (A406DL).

I was very underwhelmed with the new phone as it felt quite heavy and was likely to be ejected from my pocket should I hit a bump.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:45 pm

3G was around for about 20 years or so. How long will 5G stay around? I have heard that they have successfully done a proof of concept for 6G; they are now looking to scale it up. This means that the specifications for 7G are probably now being developed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic