Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Which Browser Do You Use?

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Turkeytop

Which Browser Do You Use?

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:19 pm

I used Fox Fire for a long time but then it started giving me trouble. Someone advised me to use Chrome. I've been using Chrome for about 5 years but now it's really slow in loading some pages.

Someone suggested to me that maybe I'm using an out of date version of Chrome. Is that a real thing?

Any suggestions?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

ZenithCKLW

Re: Which Browser Do You Use?

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:32 pm

Firefox for me. Although I administer a network at work that utilizes Chrome. I don't have Chrome on my personal computer because it is so heavy on RAM usage. If your Chrome hasn't been updated in 5 years, definitely update it. Websites don't optimize for very old browsers anymore, probably due to the prevalence and ease of automatic updates (if you have that option set). Chrome could also be slow because of extensions/plugins that have been installed at your option or without your knowledge.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:38 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:32 pm
Firefox for me. Although I administer a network at work that utilizes Chrome. I don't have Chrome on my personal computer because it is so heavy on RAM usage. If your Chrome hasn't been updated in 5 years, definitely update it. Websites don't optimize for very old browsers anymore, probably due to the prevalence and ease of automatic updates (if you have that option set). Chrome could also be slow because of extensions/plugins that have been installed at your option or without your knowledge.
How do I update?

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:51 pm

Are you on a Windows machine? How old is your computer?

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:52 pm

I myself use Firefox. Windows 10. In the browser, I clear the cache often. Also, about every month or so, I open up the command prompt and clear all my temp files. This seems to keep the machine running fairly quick. If you're not comfortable with DOS, "Do not try this at home".

In the root directory:
del *.tmp/s/q

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:56 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:51 pm
Are you on a Windows machine? How old is your computer?

The computer is two years old with Windows 10.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:01 pm

Here is how to update Chrome in Windows: https://support.google.com/chrome/answe ... %3DDesktop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:39 pm

https://browserhow.com/google-chrome-slow/

Clearing your history and cache can be helpful. Just be aware passwords may not prefill after clearing your cache. Depends how the web site's server is configured.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic