Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Major update to Microsoft Windows coming later this month

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
kager

Re: Major update to Microsoft Windows coming later this month

Post by kager » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:27 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:52 am
kager wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:20 am
I didn't know this 'lack of local account during setup' limitation existed until I looked it up. Only exists with WX Home (my company only uses that in a software test / QA environment.) You can still create a local account after the fact, and delete the MS account afterwards...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answer ... unt-n.html
Yeah, and how many home users are going to delete their MS account after-the-fact and create a local account? That number is probably in the low single-digit percentile, and Microsoft knows this. It is still a terrible business practice. Given that Windows 10 Home does in fact support local account functionality, that should be offered as an option upon installation. Knowingly and intentionally creating unnecessary hoops for people to jump through in order to use software a certain way is in my opinion bordering on an unethical business practice.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but it's not the end of the world. There are workarounds for Home, and the issue does not exist for Pro.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

kager

Post by kager » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:02 pm

Next week, sounds like we'll know more...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/06 ... ober-2025/

kager

Post by kager » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:32 am

Hands-on with a leaked early copy of Windows 11 shows that MS still has plenty of Apple-envy, and has squished at least one of those pesky Windows Home workarounds for creating a local account...

https://www.reviewgeek.com/88131/hands- ... indows-10/

kager

Post by kager » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:32 am

At least Wapples 11 will be a free 'upgrade' to existing WX users...

In case you missed the MS' big event yesterday, the C|NET team has lots of bite-sized info bits for you:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/windows-11- ... -eligible/

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:23 am

I've been Mac OS since 2011 and I have never once regretted it.

My friend works at a local college and he told me the entire campus was shut down in the middle of the day by a Microsoft update that his IT Department had no idea was coming.

Classrooms, business meetings, the TV station and the radio station all went down without a notice.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:03 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:23 am
I've been Mac OS since 2011 and I have never once regretted it.

My friend works at a local college and he told me the entire campus was shut down in the middle of the day by a Microsoft update that his IT Department had no idea was coming.

Classrooms, business meetings, the TV station and the radio station all went down without a notice.
Back in 2013-2014 when I managed my school district's computers, I completely disabled Windows updates (Windows 7 at the time) on every single base image that I created to avoid this problem. Machines got re-imaged once or twice a year. I wasn't overly concerned about that being a security risk. I have no doubt it saved us the type of headaches you described.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:45 pm

The college does manage its updates but this was something Microsoft pushed without their knowledge.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:46 pm

Neowin found a loophole for those who don't want to be on the internet when setting up Windows 11:

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-11- ... orkaround/

take this job and shove it

kager

Post by kager » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:14 am

Win11 goes to general release tomorrow, 10/5

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:13 pm

Good luck suckers!

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic