Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Android OS app crash issues

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Android OS app crash issues

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:03 pm

This issue started happening 3 or 4 days ago. Gmail crashes repeatedly. Tapatalk, too.

The issue stems from a buggy firmware update for something called Android System View (a system file within Android).

By uninstalling all updates for that file from the settings --> apps screen, clearing your storage and memory caches, and updating Chrome to the latest version, the issue should go away.

Performing a factory reset to Gmail is also a good idea.

bmw

Re: Android OS app crash issues

Post by bmw » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:42 am

On a somewhat related subject, a recent Microsoft Windows update caused a blue screen of death as soon as you hit the print button to send documents to certain printers (an issue that popped up all over internet forums). I had a client of mine encounter this situation, so I manually uninstalled the update, which fixed it. And what did Windows do? Automatically re-downloaded and re-installed the same update the very next day. Window's 10's aggressive automatic updates drive me crazy. I ended up putting their system on the max 35-day pause for automatic updates hoping that MS will fix the issue by then.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:29 pm

Apple products don't have these problems.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:24 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:29 pm
I'm a long-time Mac user (30 yrs.) and for the most part, still a fan.
Apple products, on occasion, do indeed have these kinds of problems, though not on such a recurring basis. Some macOS and iOS releases and updates have on (infrequent) occasion caused problems and even bricking of some devices, though this usually has been limited to very specific hardware models with specific firmware. Most get resolved quickly, though a few have required a "torches and pitchforks" reaction by users to get action.
We should not be smug about this or the myth of total immunity from viruses and malware. :)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:41 am

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:16 am

SolarMax wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:24 am
TC Talks wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:29 pm
I'm a long-time Mac user (30 yrs.) and for the most part, still a fan.
Apple products, on occasion, do indeed have these kinds of problems, though not on such a recurring basis. Some macOS and iOS releases and updates have on (infrequent) occasion caused problems and even bricking of some devices, though this usually has been limited to very specific hardware models with specific firmware. Most get resolved quickly, though a few have required a "torches and pitchforks" reaction by users to get action.
We should not be smug about this or the myth of total immunity from viruses and malware. :)
Have to agree here. I've been strictly Apple since last year; beforehand I had only an iPad and a Mac. Phone was a Pixel; I now have an iPhone 11, and I plan on upgrading to an iPhone 12 Pro Max before the end of the summer.

With Apple products -- Macs especially -- more than a few updates have required users to throw shit fits before anything is done. However, I have had fewer issues with Apple products overall than I had with my old Windows and Android devices. Doesn't mean that they are infallible; no tech product ever is. That's why I like the career path I've chosen. :razz

(And I'm not completely knocking Microsoft or Google here; Windows and Android for the most part behave. However, they need to seriously work on QA, especially Microsoft.)

take this job and shove it

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:41 am

I've used both Android and iOS devices. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Apple devices are designed for ease-of-use and minimal user maintenance. Fewer bugs to deal with. While there are plenty of good apps available, the proprietory nature of the system and the fact that the Apple app store is closed-source limits user choice and places tight criteria on developers looking to market their wares. Apple has loosened their propetiary policies somewhat in recent years, but you're still required to use some designated apps for certain functions.

Android, while regulated by Google's standards, is essentially an open-source OS. The criteria for developers wishing to submit apps to the Google Play store isn't as tight as its Apple iOS counterpart. Apps are not propietary, offering the user a variety of choices for various functions. Unlike iOS, Android APK's not available in the Play store can be side-loaded and installed manually (although the user should use prudence when doing so). Although Google has improved Android's ease-of-use over the years, it requires more user-maintenance than iOS. Not a problem if you want to learn more about the tech and don't mind doing a little extra work to maintain your device, although iOS would be a better choice for someone who doesn't want to hassle with nuts & bolts.

That being said, Android is my OS of choice, not only because I've become accustomed to it, but also because I've invested more cash in the way of apps and services than I have with iOS.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic