Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Linux: who here uses it?

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
paul8539

Re: Linux: who here uses it?

Post by paul8539 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:57 pm

Some people swear by Linux, some people swear at Linux. Depends on which camp you are in.

tc

Post by tc » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:22 pm

I made a virtual Linux (Ubuntu) machine on an old laptop, then realized I was using Linux when a made a Raspberry Pi project a few years ago. Most people (I don't think) realize their Mac computers and Android phones are also Linux-based.

kager

Post by kager » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:20 pm

Linux works well for purpose-built (often single-purpose) apps, like routers, firewalls, admin apps for control of hardware (like phone systems, for instance) or live utility suites.

It is OK as a desktop OS as well, but you'll find Linux under the hood in the above far more often than as a primary desktop OS.

As previously noted here, MacOS (or OSX) is based on Unix, not Linux, however. Linux is very much like Unix, without all the legal and licensing ($$$)
rigamarole. Probably why Google chose it as the basis for Android.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

tc

Post by tc » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:40 am

kager wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:20 pm
As previously noted here, MacOS (or OSX) is based on Unix, not Linux, however. Linux is very much like Unix, without all the legal and licensing ($$$)
rigamarole. Probably why Google chose it as the basis for Android.
Thank you for the clarification!

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:02 am

Apparently some big organization use, or support systems that have, Linux. I applied for a position recently at one. I met all of the qualifications except I have not used Linux. I was rated as 'not qualified'. They need to have somebody with 10 years of Linux experience, among other things.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic