Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

A Battery Question

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Turkeytop

A Battery Question

Post by Turkeytop » Fri May 29, 2020 10:18 am

One of our stores here is offering a really good deal on a DeWalt 1/2 inch cordless drill with a 20V Li-Ion battery. I already have one just like it but I'd like to get a second one to have in Florida.

Would being left unused for months, in Florida's brutally hot summer weather damage the battery?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 15342

Re: A Battery Question

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Fri May 29, 2020 10:26 am

Simple just charge the battery fully before storage and keep the device in a cool and dry place and you’re good to go for at least a half a year If the battery is detachable separate it from the device.
Last edited by Deleted User 15342 on Fri May 29, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri May 29, 2020 10:51 am

Lucky615 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:26 am
Simple just charge the battery fully before storage and keep the device in a cool and dry place and you good to go for at least a half a year If the battery is detachable separate it from the device.
Then, I'd better forget about it. There is no cool place I could store it, From May to mid Oct, temps there are in the 90s every day. In my mobile home or in my tool shed it would be even hotter.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:58 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:51 am
Lucky615 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:26 am
Simple just charge the battery fully before storage and keep the device in a cool and dry place and you good to go for at least a half a year If the battery is detachable separate it from the device.
Then, I'd better forget about it. There is no cool place I could store it, From May to mid Oct, temps there are in the 90s every day. In my mobile home or in my tool shed it would be even hotter.
Honestly I don’t think you would have that much of a problem with a lithium-ion battery it would take a lot to cause a leaking problem and heat is producing when they’re used.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri May 29, 2020 12:02 pm

I could always bring the battery back home with me every year. I would just have to remember to take it back to Florida when I go back.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Fri May 29, 2020 12:53 pm

Good point I have a couple of radios that have a rechargeable lithium-ion battery built in the unit and never had any issues, great for power failures just plug it in the car adapter for charging,

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat May 30, 2020 3:35 pm

Lithium batteries don't like to be left fully charged for long times... It's better to leave them at 70-80% if storing them for long periods.

Do you (or can you) leave a fridge running and leave them in there? Doesn't have to be a cold fridge... Just "not hot"

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat May 30, 2020 4:15 pm

I always shut the power right off when we leave. Some people do leave their power on with the AC set to about 85 deg.

In 2019, Hurricane Irma caused a power outage for several days. When it was restored a massive power surge damaged a lot of ACs, refrigerators and TVs that had been kept on line.

Anyway, I went to the store today to buy the drill. After lining up to get into the store, it turned out they are now completely sold out. The guy gave me a rain cheque and said they should be getting more in two weeks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic