Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Doxillion

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Turkeytop

Doxillion

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:24 pm

Any body familiar with Doxilion? Last night I tried to open a document created in an old version of Word.

Message came on the screen saying my trial version of Doxillion had expired and I couldn't open the document. It offered to sell me an updated version of Doxillion for $29. I orderd it and downloaded it.

I used Doxillion to convert my document, but when I opened it up, it was just a lot of random, nonsense characters.

I e mailed their tech support and explained the problem. The guy told me to send him a copy of the original file and a screen shot of what I got when I tried to open it.

I just now got his reply.
The original files you sent us does not open properly on our end as well. It only shows some characters. This shows us that the document created on an older version of MS Word may not be compatible with the latest ones.
Have I just been ripped off?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

SolarMax

Re: Doxillion

Post by SolarMax » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:02 am

I'm assuming you don't have MS Word available, or if you do, it's much newer than the version that created your file, so it won't open (thanks, MS). I am not at all familiar with Doxillion. I've found that LibreOffice has been able to open many old files created on legacy software. LibreOffice is free and Open Source, available for Linux, macOS and Windows (both 32 and 64-bit). Excellent software and well worth a try. My old (32-bit) Office suite is beyond MS and OS support, so it's gone away and LibreOffice has taken up its chores for me. If your old file is truly corrupt, though,, you may be out of luck. Sometimes you can extract some plain text buried within binary gibberish, possibly enough to recreate a new document.

Turkeytop

Re: Doxillion

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:44 pm

Just talked to our son (i should have done that first) He told me how to do it using google docs.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic