Apologies for the temporary site outage from approximately 1PM ET on Monday, December 11 through the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. The Buzzboard was targeted (yet again) by a hacker, this time from the Middle East. The site was able to be restored using a backup file from early Sunday morning.

More info on the attack can be found here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=45907

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace.
Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

Who's your Cell phone through?

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
audiophile

Re: Who's your Cell phone through?

Post by audiophile » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:41 am

AT&T is still inferior.

I have deal with these jokers.

AT&T doesn't usually have generators where Verizon does everywhere.

AT&T equipment is krap. They put all the equipment on the tower so when thunderstorm rolls through is toasts the electronics and they are always working on it.

Verizon put all electronics in the building, where it belongs, but is more expensive.

Verizon won't let tower crews take anything down until after 11pm. At&T is always screwing around in the daytime.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:14 am

I always giggle when I hear evaluations based upon performance at unique and individual locations. I have friends who were factory rats.....technical as a salad fork......who know what I do for a living.......still wanting to argue about which system is 'best' because the one they use works at Aunt Minnie's house and Verizon is scratchy.

I'm also amused by the latest round of commercials from the 'wanna be' carriers like T-mobile, Metro and Sprint claiming only a 1% technical difference between the systems. That's absolute hogwash, and it comes from mouth-breathing marketeers, not engineers.

I shake my head when people consider AT&T 'better' because, after all, 'they are the phone company'.....yet this 'phone company' deferred technical improvements for well over a year to warehouse money for the Direct TV purchase. How does one rate a company that does that technically superior?

I strongly dislike Verizon's pricing model and refusal to be 'innovative' with things the customer might find helpful like data carry-over and reasonably priced deals for ONE phone. They know they are technically the best, and they are counting on schmucks like me to stick with them due to that fact regardless of the fact I'm paying too much.

That said, there is a Verizon mobile phone in my pocket, and until the far-lagging #2, AT&T exceeds them demonstrably from a technical standpoint, it will so continue to be.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:49 am

Plate Cap wrote:I always giggle when I hear evaluations based upon performance at unique and individual locations. I have friends who were factory rats.....technical as a salad fork......who know what I do for a living.......still wanting to argue about which system is 'best' because the one they use works at Aunt Minnie's house and Verizon is scratchy.
That said, there is a Verizon mobile phone in my pocket, and until the far-lagging #2, AT&T exceeds them demonstrably from a technical standpoint, it will so continue to be.
I don't know what you do for a living but I will assume you have some expertise in this area (unless your just a Verizon employee).
I am with Verizon and will be a "free agent" later this month. I see that there seems to be some MVNO's that use Verizon's infrastructure if WIKI is believable. Any thoughts on these as an option to keep Verizon quality at a discounted rate?

Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:57 pm

The issue is the "exchange agreements" with other carriers. With the "discount" brands if you are in certain areas you might not any coverage!

If the "discount" carrier has a deal with Verizon that's great, but they may not have a deal with other providers in certain regions (IE Thumb Cellular, etc..)

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:15 pm

audiophile wrote:The issue is the "exchange agreements" with other carriers. With the "discount" brands if you are in certain areas you might not any coverage!
If the "discount" carrier has a deal with Verizon that's great, but they may not have a deal with other providers in certain regions (IE Thumb Cellular, etc..)
I found a carrier that piggybacks on Verizon. I supply my own phone and I pay $29.99 a month (total, all fees included in that number) for unlimited calling, unlimited texting and 2GB of 4G data. My concern would be if somehow Verizon had the ability to identify me as a lesser customer and maybe, somehow, I don't get the same signal as a guy standing right next to me paying full price. Two guys standing side by side with the same model phone but his is faster because he is with "Verizon" and I am a "Verizonish" wanna be with an MVNO (mobile virtual network operator). Any thoughts on the validity of that fear?

Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:45 pm

Possibly and likely, you will be throttled differently for data during heavy congestion. You might have 5 bars and nothing will happen.

For voice call I think there is no difference in AA area. Other areas of the state you might find yourself with no coverage.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:11 pm

craig11152 wrote:
I don't know what you do for a living but I will assume you have some expertise in this area (unless your just a Verizon employee).
Independent communications engineer. No longer any cellular work, although we did so in the earlier years. A little broadcast now; lots in the past. Mostly municipal, county, state, and federal systems...design, hardening, propagation prediction, FCC filings and management, network management and self-healing, etc. The key here is 'RF', and mobile telephone is all about RF. No equipment sales, no repairs.

craig11152 wrote:
I am with Verizon and will be a "free agent" later this month. I see that there seems to be some MVNO's that use Verizon's infrastructure if WIKI is believable. Any thoughts on these as an option to keep Verizon quality at a discounted rate?
I have no background in that, as its more about marketing than it is technology.

Taking a few giant steps backward looking at it, why would a carrier choose to essentially alienate a long term, post-billed customer like me by charging your MVNO much less for the same service. Maintaining a customer is simply not that expensive. They have my credit card, and hear from me maybe 3 times a year for 15 minutes. I've been a customer for more than 15 years.

I *have* to think there are priorities built into the system that treat MVNO customers differently than normal customers in some situations. Be it system access priority, data priority, data speed, or all of the above, I just can't believe they are providing the same service for 44% of the rate. I'm not doubting your numbers....but the rationale just doesn't make sense.

I have a 'loyalty plan' with Verizon, and it is EXACTLY what you describe...unlimited talk and text (photo and convention text SMS), and 2 gB of 4G data. My plan works out to $60 a month, plus $3.36 in mystery Verizon fees (the Red Checkmark fee, the pay-the-electricity-at-the-MTSO-fee, etc.....a way of recapturing what would be normal overhead in running such a business), plus $4.56 in governmental surcharges, 911 fees, and the like. I assume the latter to be legit.

Bear in mind I have a Galaxy S7 Edge, and paid about $453 for it to Verizon. They allegedly picked up the remaining $340 or so on the value of the phone, and use that to bind me to a contract ending in March 2018.

My total bill, for the same thing you are getting, is $67.92....you are paying 44% of that at 29.99, and are, per your description, getting the exact same deal.

This does NOT make sense in a marketing sense....especially since your MVNO has to be making money there as well. They are not carrying your account because they like your avatar. :)

Why would Verizon hand prime service to another 'carrier' at what is likely a 70% discount, and end up with a bevy of customers like me ending the gravy train at $68 a month the first chance they get?

Anyone??????

Craig, we should do that shoulder to shoulder test.

Please PM me with your MVNO's name or website.

Thanks!

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:19 pm

audiophile wrote:Possibly and likely, you will be throttled differently for data during heavy congestion. You might have 5 bars and nothing will happen.

For voice call I think there is no difference in AA area. Other areas of the state you might find yourself with no coverage.
This is dated, but it does provide some insight:

http://www.andersonlaw.net/mvnofaq/

Not so full of information, but also okay

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/utilities/what-is-mvno/

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:08 pm

Lots of useful information...much appreciated
I guess since domestic roaming fees are gone I sort of forgot or maybe I didn't ever realize that sometimes my Verizon phone may not be using a Verizon tower.
Below is a link to the MVNO I was looking at.
https://www.boom.us/plans/individual

I went back in this morning after reading the stuff you guys mentioned and the links you provided. I found this comment in the FAQ section:
What do you mean "Postpaid network for prepaid prices"?
Most carriers in the prepaid world give you limited access to the network. BOOM! Mobile gives you Voice and Data roaming in the U.S. What this means you will have full network coverage and BOOM! will give your better coverage!
I am hoping that means what it says and I would be able to roam as needed. That would be a plus because having no service in certain places would be annoying. But I guess the other worry, slow service, because of my "wannabe" status might be a problem.

As to why any of the Big 4 would sell their service at a steep discount to a MVNO, I suppose they are another customer, a giant customer. Maybe to keep that giant customer buying they need to offer a certain quality of service that the MVNO can sell to their customer. So if I became a Verizon wannabe through Boom then Verizon's customer is Boom and I assume they have a vested interest in keeping Boom happy. To do that they need to keep Boom's customer happy. At least that is what I am hoping. Or more likely its too good to be true.
In any case since my contract is ending with Verizon I may take my old LG G2 and try out Boom for a month or two. If I don't like the service I can go back to Verizon.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:03 pm

Do you have an unlocked phone?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:37 am

audiophile wrote:Do you have an unlocked phone?
No but I don't think its an issue with BOOM since they are just middle manning Verizon.
The other thing is once my contract is over I may buy an unlocked Moto G4, or something under $200.
I have only ever owned 2 smart phones and neither one was "the latest and greatest". I am OK with a slightly older model at a price I can afford. I don't really "need" a smart phone for the most part. I use it for some modest Internet surfing and occasionally for travel directions. Otherwise mostly I text or call loved ones which I could do with a basic flip phone.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:08 pm

That is something you should check on. Often they are locked to specific carrier, no matter what "network" they're using.

If the phone is badged with specific carrier, it's probably locked to it.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:34 pm

audiophile wrote:That is something you should check on. Often they are locked to specific carrier, no matter what "network" they're using.

If the phone is badged with specific carrier, it's probably locked to it.
I will certainly dot my i's and cross my t's before I make a move if I decide to try it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic