Apologies for the temporary site outage from approximately 1PM ET on Monday, December 11 through the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. The Buzzboard was targeted (yet again) by a hacker, this time from the Middle East. The site was able to be restored using a backup file from early Sunday morning.

More info on the attack can be found here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=45907

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace.
Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

All-In-One Printer

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
moldyoldie

All-In-One Printer

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:02 pm

Is there a good quality all-in-one printer (or just a brand) you can recommend through your experience? It will be for general home use and connected via USB to a desktop -- wireless connectivity is not a priority. It will be used primarily for printing web pages, PDF file pages, and Word docs; the occasional digital photograph; and scanning pictures and documents. I'd be willing to spend up to $200, but have seen many discounted to well below $100. I also hate having to make frequent ink cartridge changes...but who doesn't? I'd like something that won't start "acting up" after a few years of moderate use.

I currently have an HP Photosmart D7160 that's giving me all sorts of fits after a few good years of fairly reliable use. And even using "fast-economical" printing, this thing drank ink like a sailor on liberty! Pouring over reviews, including amateur reviews on Amazon and elsewhere, leads one to believe product longevity is a thing of the past.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

TC Talks

Re: All-In-One Printer

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:50 pm

Whatever you pick find one that has sold a billion of them. The cartridges will be available generic. I just to go Amazon and read reviews. It's very accurate feedback.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:26 pm

I've got a Brother all-in-one inkjet. Their current home/office units can be had on on sale for as low as the $70s, plus similar, slightly better featured versions in the low-mid $100s.
My unit is very good on ink use, nothing at all like a Canon I had that slurped up color and BW inks on a monthly basis. Uses separate black, C,M,Y tanks. Brother also has "High Capacity" ink carts for only slightly more than the regular ones. The OEM inks are quite reasonably priced so I've stayed with theirs and not tried to save a dollar or two with refilled ones of questionable quality (I have had trouble on other printers with non OEM, non-chipped replacements).
Mine is wireless, setup was plug'n'play, does 2 sided printing, copying, fairly decent photo prints for when I need a quick one-off, and even has, yes, a built-in FAX modem as a 90s throwback. You never know, you might need to send a FAX somewhere that doesn't do the e-mail or know about PDFs.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:29 am

I have a Brothers that I use for scan and fax. The ink dries up at the head too quickly. I have never had luck printing something clearly if it has sat for a few weeks without changing cartridges.

I avoid inkjet completely. I used a true laser printer and after market cartridges that run about $100 a set to replace, but that is about every two years.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:38 am

I have a Brother Laser all-in-one, about $500 though.

Seems to work fine.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:46 am

I have an Epson NX430 I bought 3-4 years ago for around $70 if I remember. I can't complain. I wouldn't try to print high quality photos on glossy paper with any expectation but it works for what I do.
I have become a fan of cheap printers for my home use.

As TC Talks says Amazon can be a good source for reviews....as long as there are several hundred or thousands. Not sure I'd put much stock in 50 or 60 reviews.

Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:29 am

HP's Deskjet "F"-series is solid. I've had an F335 for about 8 years and have had no problems with it (and I've printed literally thousands of pages on this thing).

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:08 am

Thank you for all the great responses as I take them to heart. :) I'm glassy-eyed reading all the Amazon reviews -- I tend to concentrate on the 1 and 2-star negative reviews to get a sense of their consistency and saliency while keeping in mind the overall percentages of positive versus negative reviews. I've also consulted the Consumer Reports Buying Guide 2016.

I chatted at length with the gal at Office Depot/Office Max and she pretty much confirmed what I had gathered, that new printers these days are built to last only about three years with regular use. She steered me toward either HP or Epson as first choices, intimating that Canon was behind in innovation and perhaps might discontinue their line of home printers, while Brother was a step down in quality. They sell all of these brands.

Taking all this into consideration, I'm thinking it might be wise to lean toward "good and cheaper" as opposed to "better and more expensive". Thanks again!

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:37 am

moldyoldie wrote:I chatted at length with the gal at Office Depot/Office Max and she pretty much confirmed what I had gathered, that new printers these days are built to last only about three years with regular use. She steered me toward either HP or Epson as first choices, intimating that Canon was behind in innovation and perhaps might discontinue their line of home printers, while Brother was a step down in quality. They sell all of these brands.
It's very likely that they get better margins on HP/Epson printers and supplies than others. I used to get emails from Depot/Max with almost biweekly BOGO "specials" on HP inks, which are stupidly expensive, even at discount. I do have an old HP Deskjet 5740 (just a basic printer no bells, no whistles) I use for very light duty printing, and it remains reliable.The OD/OM house brand inks for it are only slightly less costly than the HP branded ones. Since the printer is well into obsolescence, I have been using cheapie replacement cartridges from Amazon, which so far have not leaked out or exhibited any other bad behavior. Just can't monitor supply levels, since the sensor chips get bricked.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:26 pm

I ended up going "good & cheaper", getting an Epson XP-630 for under $100. If I feel compelled to let you know what I think of it, I will.

Thanks again for all your contributions. :)

- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:20 pm

I'm a bit surprised at her comments about Brother printers. My experience with Brother is that they make rock-solid printers. Having worked in the past at a public school and being responsible for the district's printers, we had the fewest problems with our large HP lab printers and with the small Brother wireless printers.

As far as a brand to stay far away from - Konika Minolta! I see their commercials on tv all the time. We had Konika copy machines and they were an absolute NIGHTMARE!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:55 pm

My HP Deskjet 3500 has served me well. I have, in Florida, another HP from the Deaskjet series (I forget the number) and it too has been a good printer.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue May 03, 2016 11:50 am

I will say my new Epson XP-630 is reliable (so far), but somewhat cumbersome. The build quality has the feel of cheap plastic, but it was under $100. The print quality, particularly text, is noticeably inferior to that of my old HP.

- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic