Apologies for the temporary site outage from approximately 1PM ET on Monday, December 11 through the pre-dawn hours of Tuesday. The Buzzboard was targeted (yet again) by a hacker, this time from the Middle East. The site was able to be restored using a backup file from early Sunday morning.

More info on the attack can be found here:
https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=45907

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace.
Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

Who here doesnt have a smartphone?

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
Plate Cap

Re: Who here doesnt have a smartphone?

Post by Plate Cap » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:35 pm

zzand wrote:.....time to upgrade now as a matter of fact. Did away with land line 8 years ago.
My Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge arrives tomorrow.....Ooh! Ooh! Can't wait! Might stay up all night waiting!

:D

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:16 am

The linked story below wrote:In a New York Review of Books article, Jacob Weisberg explained that folks who don't have a cellphone these days are either eccentric, aged or socially marginalized.
Why the CTA Cellphone Jammer Is My New Hero

Hmmm -- eccentric, aged, or socially marginalized -- I would think having two of these three qualities would still keep one solidly in the mainstream of modern society, but the first and third qualities may be a direct result of the second. Would merely carrying a cellphone "alleviate" said qualities? Doubt it.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:39 am

moldyoldie wrote: Would merely carrying a cellphone "alleviate" said qualities? Doubt it.
It's not a cause of those 'qualities', it's an effect of them.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but in my experience, those that are still in the mainstream of life (i.e. driving around, shopping, having some sort of job or at least family life that requires reasonable e-mail response time, etc.) that don't have such a device are more about making a point than simply a decision.

How many people do you know that DON'T have a smartphone don't spend a inordinate amount of time preaching about not having one?

In a similar vein, I have an acquaintance who doesn't have a TV. He and his wife spend more time telling people about the fact that don't have a TV than I spend watching mine. It's some sort of a badge of honor to them.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:59 am

I forgot I started this thread. Ok, I still use a dumb phone and have never had a smart phone. When it comes to technology I am a total dumbass. Honestly, I don't feel the need to have one. I see as one more thing to break, cost me money, complicate my life, and I spend too much time online at home to begin with. I have a laptop for my internet, so I'm good. I just don't want a 100$ a month phone bill.

I do warehouse work so I am not dependent on a phone for work. I am not against others having one, I mean why would I be? Sounds weird but for me its kind of liberating.

Cumulus, please do Toledo a favor and Blow 106.5 The Ticket up.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:56 pm

I've had a cell since about 2004, but never a Smart phone. Had an old Nokia from about 2004 to 2008; since then I've had a flip phone Tracfone, I pay about $7/month for service.

If I want to do something on the internet, I'll sit down in front of my desktop computer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic