Notice to all Buzzboard readers & posters: A requested server migration took place Saturday evening. Unfortunately, I did not re-point my DNS records to the new server until roughly 7:45p ET on Monday, November 12. As a result, any posts and new user registrations occurring between the nighttime hours of 11/10 and approximately 7:45p ET on Monday, 11/12 have been lost.

This was unavoidable, and the longer I waited to re-point to the new server, the greater the number of posts that would've been lost.

Please feel free to resubmit any threads / posts you created. They will NOT be lost this time! Many thanks for your patience these past couple of weeks while I've worked to migrate the Buzzboard to a more secure, more robust platform.

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace! Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

Windows 10 - Your Thoughts?

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
audiophile

Re: Windows 10 - Your Thoughts?

Post by audiophile » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:34 pm

You realize this is an Adobe issue, not Microsoft?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:05 pm

audiophile wrote:You realize this is an Adobe issue, not Microsoft?
I was referencing the Windows 10 auto update stuff... Apple should have never allowed flash.

(C) 2018 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:41 pm

My laptop works a 100x better since disabling the Microsoft "superfetch" service (a misnomer if I've ever seen one!).

Instructions here:
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... windows-8/

Here are a TON of anecdotal "before & after" posts regarding superfetch:
http://www.urtech.ca/2013/12/solved-sho ... -8-or-8-1/

Another tip for Windows 8 users & later - your machine comes preloaded with anti-virus/anti-malware/firewall software! It's called Windows Defender. If you install another another anti-virus solution and Defender fails to turn off automatically, this, too, could cause your computer to freeze-up, become sluggish, etc.

Thanks, corporate radio, for finally tossing Nickelback to the curb. Now can you please do the same for Shinedown? THEY SUCK!!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:51 pm

You should also turn your paging file if you have a SSD drive.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

kager

Post by kager » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:09 am

Interesting bit on SuperFetch. I have not experienced the issue personally, but will keep that tidbit handy in troubleshooting sluggish behaviour issues going forward.

Assuming audio means 'turn off' pagefile (haven't seen a pagefile rotisserie yet), that may have been good advice during the early days of SSDs, but is no longer relevant if doing so in order to avoid 'wear'. Today's SSDs can handle it.

It is still good advice if you have lots of RAM, want to reclaim the SSD disk space occupied by the pagefile, and don't need the diagnostics capabilities it provides.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

kager

Post by kager » Tue May 17, 2016 6:01 pm

Don't click the X...

http://www.computerworld.com/article/30 ... -push.html

You've been warned.

Redmond slime.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

jry

Post by jry » Wed May 18, 2016 1:53 pm

Fingers crossed. Three of our markets are upgrading to Windows 10 Automation, within the next two weeks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic