Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Just What Late Night TV Needs...

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
edj

Re: Just What Late Night TV Needs...

Post by edj » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:56 pm

thekman wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:14 pm
Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:49 am

Carson understood the purpose of late night TV. He kept it light, gave his audience a good laugh and helped people unwind at the end of the day. Johnny was like that glass of wine to relax and take the edge off. Letterman and Leno learned from his example and followed the formula. Modern late night TV is like a shot of expresso before bed. Who wants to feel angry and uptight about the events of the day just before they're ready to sleep?
So well said! That is the perfect analogy.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the politics of some late-night hosts, but I don’t want to get pissed off and fired up when I’m going to bed.

I’m probably the only person that preferred Craig Kilborn’s original version of The Daily Show to Jon Stewart, because it was just some silliness and irreverence. I’ve got all day to be pissed off, I don’t need that crap at night.
Make it two. Jon Stewart ruined The Daily Show. It became almost all politics and he’s not funny, never was. Trevor Noah was even worse.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:40 pm

I would have half expected CBS to turn the 12:35 slot back to local affiliates. That slot has traditionally drawn a younger demo (college students up late studying, etc). A lot of that audience has shifted toward streaming platforms and on-demand content delivery. Affiliates could probably pull more revenue with syndicated shows and infomercials at that hour.

I had hope for Colbert. He was funny to watch in his "Colbert Report" character, but he just couldn't seem to find comedic footing as himself. He's a better comedic actor than a comedian. The Colbert character was a caricature played for humor. The current Colbert is a caricature of the actual person minus the humor.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

kager

Post by kager » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:57 am

Whatever becomes of the time-slot - for better or worse - Corden's last Late Late Show is tonight.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:07 pm

The Comedy Central game show @midnight is getting a revival to replace The Late Late Show.

kager

Post by kager » Mon May 01, 2023 7:37 am

Some source was reporting over the weekend that CBS spent $65m/yr producing Corden's LLS, but only took in $45m/yr. Not sustainable.

Meanwhile, much of late-night TV is slated to become Rerun City Tuesday, due to a strike by the Writers Guild.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:49 am

all these people are going for claps and approval, not laughs.

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:10 pm

thekman wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:14 pm
Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:49 am

Carson understood the purpose of late night TV. He kept it light, gave his audience a good laugh and helped people unwind at the end of the day. Johnny was like that glass of wine to relax and take the edge off. Letterman and Leno learned from his example and followed the formula. Modern late night TV is like a shot of expresso before bed. Who wants to feel angry and uptight about the events of the day just before they're ready to sleep?
So well said! That is the perfect analogy.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the politics of some late-night hosts, but I don’t want to get pissed off and fired up when I’m going to bed.

I’m probably the only person that preferred Craig Kilborn’s original version of The Daily Show to Jon Stewart, because it was just some silliness and irreverence. I’ve got all day to be pissed off, I don’t need that crap at night.
I liked Kilborn's Late Late Show, but I know that most preferred Ferguson.

thekman

Post by thekman » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:13 pm

I enjoyed both of those hosts very much. And Tom Snyder before that. CBS at 12:30 has always been my under the radar location of what I thought was typically the best late night talk show.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic