Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Just What Late Night TV Needs...

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
kager

Just What Late Night TV Needs...

Post by kager » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:33 am

Less Corden - More Colbert
James Corden is stepping away from late-night later this spring, and his exit could mark the end of The Late Late Show as a whole, bringing a close to three decades of the franchise.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Plate Cap

Re: Just What Late Night TV Needs...

Post by Plate Cap » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:04 am

Leno than Letterman left, and balanced, intelligent humor that didn't have a distinct political bent left with it.

I left then.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:36 am

Plate Cap wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:04 am
Leno than Letterman left, and balanced, intelligent humor that didn't have a distinct political bent left with it.

I left then.
Who's up at midnight?
I'm not. I don't know anyone who is. Seems if someone wants to watch TV that late, an intelligent conversation isn't what they are interested in. Mindless game show banter may be a better fit for folks as they are dozing off.

Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking about than men spend actually thinking.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:29 pm

Round Six wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:36 am
Plate Cap wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:04 am

I left then.
Who's up at midnight?
I'm not. I don't know anyone who is. Seems if someone wants to watch TV that late, an intelligent conversation isn't what they are interested in. Mindless game show banter may be a better fit for folks as they are dozing off.
Doesn't necessarily need to be "intelligent", but maybe a little clever, or even funny? Now it's:

Trump bad! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Trumps orange! HAHAHA WOOO HAHA!

Republicans dumb! HAHAHA clap clap clap

Abortion! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

kager

Post by kager » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:18 pm

He can be a bit of an odd bird, but I'd like to see Craig Ferguson back in late night again...

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

SD45

Post by SD45 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:05 pm

I still watch old Craig Ferguson clips and interviews on YouTube. I was also a big Conan fan back his 12:35 days.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:35 pm

Everyone is trying to be Jon Stewart these days, and almost none of these folks are as funny or as charismatic as he was.

I, too, miss the irreverence and light-heartedness of how late night TV monologues used to be.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:44 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:35 pm
Everyone is trying to be Jon Stewart these days, and almost none of these folks are as funny or as charismatic as he was.

I, too, miss the irreverence and light-heartedness of how late night TV monologues used to be.
Jon had a way of avoiding being mean and spiteful when making his comments. He was/is certainly left-leaning, but his presentation and comments were not usually as objectionable like most of the late-night crew is now. They all have an anger about them that seethes through every "joke" they try and execute. Gets old really fast.

Taco

Post by Taco » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:44 am

I often ask myself if late night TV is relevant anymore. Letterman and Leno were great. I don't think anyone has really filled their shoes and probably never will. TV viewership has largely shifted away from broadcast TV. Now we've got so many other ways to watch. The late night TV formula is from years past and it just doesn't have the same impact it once did.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:45 am

I can't seem to find Johnny carson. What channel? what time?

I no longer directly engage trolls

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:36 am

craig11152 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:45 am
I watch Johnny on AntennaTV @ 10pm on some nights. It's amazing the difference in humor from those days compared to now. :)

Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

thekman

Post by thekman » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:45 pm

teetoppz28 wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:36 am
craig11152 wrote:
I watch Johnny on AntennaTV @ 10pm on some nights. It's amazing the difference in humor from those days compared to now. :)
I particularly enjoy Friday night or Saturday night, when Antenna TV shows the 1.5-hour long episodes from 1970’s. It has such a different pace than today’s shows. There’s no rush, Johnny is taking his time, longer interviews.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:49 am

craig11152 wrote:
There is a 24/7 Johnny Carson channel on the Pluto TV platform, which is free. You can get it on Roku and Fire Stick for your TV, and I believe there are mobile and web streams as well.

There's also the official Johnny Carson channel on YouTube which has a lot of classic clips. Not sure if it has full shows though.

Carson understood the purpose of late night TV. He kept it light, gave his audience a good laugh and helped people unwind at the end of the day. Johnny was like that glass of wine to relax and take the edge off. Letterman and Leno learned from his example and followed the formula. Modern late night TV is like a shot of expresso before bed. Who wants to feel angry and uptight about the events of the day just before they're ready to sleep?

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

thekman

Post by thekman » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:14 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:49 am

Carson understood the purpose of late night TV. He kept it light, gave his audience a good laugh and helped people unwind at the end of the day. Johnny was like that glass of wine to relax and take the edge off. Letterman and Leno learned from his example and followed the formula. Modern late night TV is like a shot of expresso before bed. Who wants to feel angry and uptight about the events of the day just before they're ready to sleep?
So well said! That is the perfect analogy.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the politics of some late-night hosts, but I don’t want to get pissed off and fired up when I’m going to bed.

I’m probably the only person that preferred Craig Kilborn’s original version of The Daily Show to Jon Stewart, because it was just some silliness and irreverence. I’ve got all day to be pissed off, I don’t need that crap at night.

Plate Cap

Post by Plate Cap » Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:07 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:49 am

Very elegantly put. Bravo.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic