Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CNN+ Shutting Down Less Than a Month After Launch

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
MichMash

CNN+ Shutting Down Less Than a Month After Launch

Post by MichMash » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:07 pm

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/busin ... 235133393/

CNN is pulling the plug on its shiny new streaming service after less than a month on the air.

With the dollars and staffing involved, this sort of thing doesn't happen in a vacuum, but between the Warner merger with Discovery and the horrible news surrounding Netflix (and streaming in general) yesterday, this seems uncomfortable and yet totally unavoidable.

paul8539

Re: CNN+ Shutting Down Less Than a Month After Launch

Post by paul8539 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:04 am

They did not advertise it enough. I never heard of it until they said that they were shutting it down.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:17 am

What's the point of subscribing to a service like that? Plenty of news content is available on various streaming platforms for free.

Why would I PAY for extra CNN content when 80%+ of the content found on their namesake cable network is insipid?

It was an incredibly stupid idea from the get-go.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:10 pm

MSNBC already trails CNN by a big margin, so why did they think launching CNN+ would be a good thing? They'd be better off moving some of their programming to the linear CNN.

ABC, CBS, and NBC all have free streaming news channels that have launched over the past few years, and they all promote how free they are.

I think there will eventually be a CNN hub on HBO Max.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic