Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Drew Barrymore joins CBS This Morning

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
kager

Drew Barrymore joins CBS This Morning

Post by kager » Sat May 15, 2021 9:04 am

That promo they ran during CBS This Morning - Saturday announcing this today had me concerned; thankfully, it's temporary & another example of shameless self-promotion:

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/celebri ... ng/478467/

Though in a completely different class and time, I wonder if Walter Cronkite ever took "Parental leave" in advance of a birth...

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

radioandtventhusiast

Re: Drew Barrymore joins CBS This Morning

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat May 15, 2021 3:54 pm

On another forum, a user told me that it's only in the 2nd hour of the show when the material is lighter fare.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat May 15, 2021 10:23 pm

I'll say again what I have said before:
If Gayle King wasn't Oprah's best friend, would she be doing the weekend weather in Fargo?

kager

Post by kager » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:39 am

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 10:23 pm
I'll say again what I have said before:
If Gayle King wasn't Oprah's best friend, would she be doing the weekend weather in Fargo?
Good question.

Gotta say, Ms. King's recent absences from CTM (alas, only vacation) have been way refreshing.

I think part of the problem is that there are FAR too many talking heads - not just GK - offering what appear to be 'their' opinion following stories aired during the show. GK just seems to be of the belief that her opinions are the reason for the show and the world will be made right if everyone would just follow her beliefs and suggestions.

Shut yer yap and deliver the news.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:31 pm

kager wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:39 am
I think part of the problem is that there are FAR too many talking heads - not just GK - offering what appear to be 'their' opinion following stories aired during the show. GK just seems to be of the belief that her opinions are the reason for the show and the world will be made right if everyone would just follow her beliefs and suggestions.
To me, the dismal moderating by both Gayle King and Norah O’Donnell at the start of the 10th Democrat Presidential Debate convinced me her and Norah shouldn't be on a network. They were both in my opinion Clueless about what they're role as moderator was.

And to be honest, you touch on some of the reason why. It seemed to me she had the impression when a moderator speaks, all the candidates would be quiet. It's the 10th debate. There's already been 9 free for alls. Not quite a realistic attitude to have.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:55 pm

Don't care for Norah's news, but, I do think that she's a decent interviewer (for 60 Minutes or CBS news sit-down interviews) I saw her interview with the Cardinal of NYC, and it was quite good, so she is good for that post at least.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:19 pm

WOHO wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:55 pm
Don't care for Norah's news, but, I do think that she's a decent interviewer (for 60 Minutes or CBS news sit-down interviews) I saw her interview with the Cardinal of NYC, and it was quite good, so she is good for that post at least.
Norah's not bad. I personally prefer Scott Pelley or Jeff Glor, as I thought both were kind of forced out of the CBS Evening News chair.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:57 pm

Jeff and Scott were really good -- Norah is alright, but honestly I wish she would improve her presentation.

take this job and shove it

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:33 pm

She's a little too dramatic and also has to put out her opinion at times.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:19 am

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:33 pm
She's a little too dramatic and also has to put out her opinion at times.
And she doesn't even have to make a remark for her opinion to show. She has no poker face. Her makeup drips with distain or beams with glee on most stories to inject her perspective.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:23 pm

Not a Norah fan as evening news anchor. Jeff Glor was good and should've never been replaced!

By the way, former Lions player, Nate Burleson, is or soon will be co-host of CBS This Morning. I'm afraid that once intellectually solid program is going to degenerate even further into a fluff bonanza.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:32 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:23 pm
Not a Norah fan as evening news anchor. Jeff Glor was good and should've never been replaced!

By the way, former Lions player, Nate Burleson, is or soon will be co-host of CBS This Morning. I'm afraid that once intellectually solid program is going to degenerate even further into a fluff bonanza.
Agree on both. I don't mind Norah on evenings, but I liked both Scott Pelley and Jeff Glor much better.

A football player and sports analyst mean a show is bound to go more fluffy.

kager

CBS This Morning is no more...

Post by kager » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:46 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:23 pm

Well, it's not CTM anymore...

Burleson has indeed joined the show, and has replaced Anthony Mason.

'CBS Mornings' has replaced the 'CBS This Morning' moniker.

They appear to have a new or refurb'd studio.

And, they have all but raped the signature identities of 'CBS Sunday Morning' - from the trumpet theme music, to the sun graphics - and are applying them now to the weekday edition.

I doubt this will mean that the success of the Jane Pauly-hosted show will rub off on King & Co; conversely, it may backfire and lessen the Sunday show's brand and viewership. Stupid.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:01 am

I agree with the backfire prediction.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:35 am

The trumpet there music surprised me too.

I think the new format is: "let's do a little bit of news and then meander for the rest of the show"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic