Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fox lost January

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
TC Talks

Fox lost January

Post by TC Talks » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:10 am

The weirdos are heading to Newsmax, the sane Republicans are headed to CNN. Poor Fox
On Tuesday, Fox announced that it finished its 19th consecutive year as the No. 1 cable news network. But in January, Fox reported monthly ratings that fell behind both of its main cable news competitors, CNN and MSNBC, for the first time in 20 years. Even Fox’s prime-time opinion juggernaut of Hannity, Ingraham and Tucker Carlson had a smaller combined audience than their CNN competitors did last month.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Fox lost January

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:05 am

I agree that Newsmax is eating into Fox News Channel's numbers.

What's remarkable to me is that even with CNN's hefty gains (which were indeed very impressive), MSNBC still managed to edge them out!

Personally, I have very little use for any of these networks. I like CBSN and BBC World News.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:49 pm

Agreed, MW. CBSN, Newsy, and BBC World News are my three preferred news networks.

I wish more streaming providers carried BBC World News; Hulu doesn't offer it with their Live TV package, which kinda bums me out.

My family watches Newsmax, OAN, *and* FNC. I've seen enough propaganda and conspiracy theories on all three to last me the rest of my life...

take this job and shove it

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:08 pm

BBC news is on PBS /WTVS/56 at 6:00 AM and 7:00 PM. Many public radio stations also air BBC programing overnight, (you can hear about what's going on in Gabon and Eritrea.)

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:54 am

thatonedude wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:49 pm
My family watches Newsmax, OAN, *and* FNC. I've seen enough propaganda and conspiracy theories on all three to last me the rest of my life...
I wouldn't touch those with a three foot pole. Except for OAN -- I wouldn't touch that with a 300 foot pole.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:13 am

So is WGN's News Nation any good? I see their ratings aren't. Yet, they'll be expanding their programming from 3 hours to 5 hours come March 1st.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:05 am

I predicted News Nation wouldn't fare well. Wrong time slot - competing against primetime destination programming on the big networks.

My prior thoughts can be found here: https://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 53#p627353

Would've been much better as daytime programming or late evening programming (think Nightline except earlier). Not sure why they felt people would tune in to view the same type of content available on ABC World News Tonight, NBC Nightly News, CBS Evening News, etc.

There's a reason FNC, CNN and MSNBC haven't done hard news in primetime - except for an occasional 1 hr newscast - in a long time. They know the viewership just isn't there.

I also wish some of the anchors and reporters on News Nation would show just a little more personality. The presentation is a little too stiff and robotic for my liking.

It does appear the network has recognized the above issue. Some discussion / interview driven programming is part of the expansion to five hours.

The logo looks too cookie cutter; I wish they would spruce that up (maybe they will come March 1?).

https://www.thewrap.com/wgn-america-to- ... ogramming/

zzand

Post by zzand » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:44 pm

I like News Nation over anything else. They do the no slant one way or the other very well. They present the facts and let the viewer decide. I don't miss any other programming because a DVR makes it easy to watch a good newscast and still get the programming you want elsewhere.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:02 pm

Weren't there plans for News Nation to become a 24/7 service, effectively replacing WGN America?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:25 am

I think that might still be in the cards.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:40 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:25 am
I think that might still be in the cards.
It was announced last week that WGN America would be changed to News Nation on March 1. Non-news programming will still air until the respective shows' contracts run out.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:43 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:05 am
I predicted News Nation wouldn't fare well. Wrong time slot - competing against primetime destination programming on the big networks.

My prior thoughts can be found here: https://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 53#p627353

Would've been much better as daytime programming or late evening programming (think Nightline except earlier). Not sure why they felt people would tune in to view the same type of content available on ABC World News Tonight, NBC Nightly News, CBS Evening News, etc.

There's a reason FNC, CNN and MSNBC haven't done hard news in primetime - except for an occasional 1 hr newscast - in a long time. They know the viewership just isn't there.

I also wish some of the anchors and reporters on News Nation would show just a little more personality. The presentation is a little too stiff and robotic for my liking.

It does appear the network has recognized the above issue. Some discussion / interview driven programming is part of the expansion to five hours.

The logo looks too cookie cutter; I wish they would spruce that up (maybe they will come March 1?).

https://www.thewrap.com/wgn-america-to- ... ogramming/
CNBC'S The News with Shepard Smith isn't doing too good in the ratings probably for the reasons you just stated.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:57 pm

Not surprised. That is a weak product based on my sampling of it. I don't get the oversized chyrons on his broadcast, either.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:55 pm

WGN America has never held a candle to its predecessor simulcast of WGN-TV 9. Prior to the syndex regulations in 1990, WGN was one of a handful of independent "superstations" that provided movies and syndicated programs that were not available in many local markets. With the eventual separation of WGN America from its Chicago parent, the lineup went straight downhill. Perhaps this is a good move in the age of entertainment channels disguised as news outlets.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:43 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:55 pm
WGN America has never held a candle to its predecessor simulcast of WGN-TV 9. Prior to the syndex regulations in 1990, WGN was one of a handful of independent "superstations" that provided movies and syndicated programs that were not available in many local markets. With the eventual separation of WGN America from its Chicago parent, the lineup went straight downhill. Perhaps this is a good move in the age of entertainment channels disguised as news outlets.
They should have dropped the WGN America branding as soon as they stopped airing Chicago-centric programming. I agree that renaming the channel is probably for the best as there hasn't been anything related to WGN in a few years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic