Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
moldyoldie

Re: Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:37 am

Thus far, I'd deem all of the guest hosts outside of Jennings as merely adequate with perhaps Oz being the best, Couric the worst, and Mike Richards in the middle. All have approached the job with veneration and respect for the show's legacy.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:23 am

I think Jennings will have the permanent gig in the end. The guest-host thing is mainly a move to demonstrate that there was no heir-apparent to the Trebek throne, possibly out of respect to Alex and his legacy. Selecting a permanent successor before he passed would have seemed morbid given that he was still fighting to beat his diagnosis. Naming a permanent host so soon after his passing might show a degree of advance planning that could cast the producers in a bad light. Although Ken Jennings appears to be the most popular choice among viewers, they need to let some time pass before settling on a new host. I believe the job will be Ken's when all is said and done.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

thekman

Post by thekman » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:07 am

km1125 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:05 pm
I saw just a bit of Couric and just couldn't stand it. If she was the permanent host I would probably never see the show again. I'm not sure who's on this week.

Speaking of Drew Carey... WTF is up with that "David Letterman" beard look??? TERRIBLE!!
I thought Couric was really bad. She’s a perfectly capable broadcaster, but my god, something was just not working with her as host. She seemed so bland. The show was just plain boring with her at the helm.

I thought Mike Richards was the best so far. Jennings would be #2, he got much better as the weeks went by and he got more comfortable in the gig. I think Dr. Oz is surprisingly good at it.

I think they will stretch out the guest hosts out over the course of Spring and Summer. And eventually, next September, will start the new season with Jennings as the new permanent host.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:06 pm

I agree with you about Mike Richards. I thought his performance was better than that of Jennings and surprisingly good overall.

Although I thought Jennings was horrible during his first couple weeks, he definitely improved as time went along.

I didn't have a chance to watch Dr. Oz; I wish I would've seen him host.

Katie Couric was too sterile and serious, but I disagree about her being "really bad." She was merely OK. Not good enough to be the permanent host of Jeopardy. Her style would work better for a show like Millionaire.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:17 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:06 pm
I agree with you about Mike Richards. I thought his performance was better than that of Jennings and surprisingly good overall.

Although I thought Jennings was horrible during his first couple weeks, he definitely improved as time went along.

I didn't have a chance to watch Dr. Oz; I wish I would've seen him host.

Katie Couric was too sterile and serious, but I disagree about her being "really bad." She was merely OK. Not good enough to be the permanent host of Jeopardy. Her style would work better for a show like Millionaire.
Oz's episodes still air through Friday.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:56 am

Thanks. I did finally catch one of his episodes a couple nights ago. He wasn't bad, but his gravelly, somewhat hoarse voice became a little irritating after a while. This was most noticeable during his reading of the clues.

I still think Richards was the best of the bunch so far.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:59 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:56 am
Thanks. I did finally catch one of his episodes a couple nights ago. He wasn't bad, but his gravelly, somewhat hoarse voice became a little irritating after a while. This was most noticeable during his reading of the clues.

I still think Richards was the best of the bunch so far.
I think Ken was the best, although Mike Richards had the overall best delivery.

thekman

Post by thekman » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:08 am

Aaron Rodgers starts as guest host today.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:53 am

Surprisingly, Aaron Rodgers with his under-spoken delivery and intermittent interjections of soft humor made for a refreshingly different and eminently watchable guest host. I'm thinking it might be because of my "low-bar" expectations.

The one contestant's Final Jeopardy response was classic -- Who wanted them to kick the field goal? :lol

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:20 pm

Great clip! Aaron Rodgers liked that contestant's response, btw. He CLEARLY wanted to go for the six points on that drive in the NFC Championship game.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:59 pm

I'm pretty sure no one wants Rodgers to give up his day job, especially the Jeopardy! audience. :razz

- Sydney J. Harris

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:47 pm

Seeing as they have chosen to have so many people guest host until September, I would of like them to give a try out to the three that Alex himself suggested would be good choices to replace him:
CNN’s Laura Coates, LA Kings announcer Alex Faust and TCM’s Ben Mankiewicz.
Maybe he seen something in these three that he knew would be a good fit for the show.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:48 am

After two weeks, Rodgers seemed to become increasingly comfortable in the role and the improvement was noticeable. However, commentators on NFL Network are seriously speculating on him taking over the role permanently. To that I say, you've gotta be kidding me!

Anderson Cooper is up next.

- Sydney J. Harris

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:50 pm

Not looking forward to seeing Cooper on there at all. I did think Rogers did a good job and I do agree he was getting more and more comfortable even though I only saw a few of the shows. He'd definitely make the short list, along with Ken and Mike.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:54 pm

The Horror, the Horror!!
Announced that Joe f**ing Buck is going to do a guest host shot somettttime during the summer. :barf
Twitter explodes, of course.
One of the best: "Thats Levar Burton's job. Levar taught me to read, Joe Buck taught me to mute the TV."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic