Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
moldyoldie

Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:26 am

I thought he did an excellent job, mostly mimicking well-worn but appropriate Trebek-isms. It would be a matter of time before Jennings' own personality emerges in a game show that necessitates rapid responses on the parts of both contestants and host, leaving little room for "personality".

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Calvert DeForest

Re: Ken Jennings as Jeopardy! Host

Post by Calvert DeForest » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:34 am

I think he did well. It had to be a nervous time for him hosting the first show after Alex. Whether it turns out to be his permanent gig is yet to be seen, but given his background and familiarity with both the game and the audience, he would certainly be a natural choice.

I thought Ken's words at the beginning were especially poignant, and pretty much summed it up:

Of course, no one can replace the great Alex Trebek, but we can honor him by continuing to play the game he loved.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:17 pm

Jeopar what?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:02 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:17 pm
Jeopar what?
You should know about this one TT. It's on good old-fashioned over-the-air TV. :razz

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:22 pm

Yes, TT we remember when it was in Black and White, and Don Pardo was the announcer and you got to sit down at your little desk with a fresh solo cup of water? And 2 or 3 guys would pull out the dividers behind the board for the clues? What is the Original Jeopardy! ?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:09 pm

For a first-timer, he's doing OK.

However, he lacks the gravitas to be able to excel in this role.

I hope the bass picks someone else. Ken unfortunately lacks what it takes to fill Alex's shoes.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:12 pm

I've seen him in other settings, he can do the job, give him a while.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:56 pm

WOHO wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:22 pm
Yes, TT we remember when it was in Black and White, and Don Pardo was the announcer and you got to sit down at your little desk with a fresh solo cup of water? And 2 or 3 guys would pull out the dividers behind the board for the clues? What is the Original Jeopardy! ?
Back in those days, we only got one channel. Maybe it didn't carry that show,

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:06 pm

WOHO wrote:
It was in color from day one. Most people didn’t see it as such until years later. I have only seen the original from whatever is on YouTube.

Jennings has done a decent job. It wouldn’t be the worst if he took the gig full time.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:40 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:02 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:17 pm
Jeopar what?
You should know about this one TT. It's on good old-fashioned over-the-air TV. :razz
Besides, long-time host Alex Trebek was a proud Canadian.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:47 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:06 pm
WOHO wrote:
It was in color from day one. Most people didn’t see it as such until years later. I have only seen the original from whatever is on YouTube.
We didn't have a color TV until 1972. The first set I remember growing up was a Zenith black-and-white cabinet with only a VHF tuner (UHF was an add-on). The mechanical tuner was controlled by up/down buttons on the set (no knob), and by a sound activated remote. The year after my dad passed away my mom decided to upgrade to a Zenith color cabinet. Imagine my surprise when I came home from second grade and saw that in living room! :o

The original Jeopardy! being an NBC program, it would stand to reason that it was produced entirely in color. NBC was early on the push to color shows, mainly as a vehicle to sell RCA color TV's.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:03 am

I'm sorry, but I cannot get over Ken Jennings' raspy voice. He doesn't have the voice or the personality for this role.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:40 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:03 am
I'm sorry, but I cannot get over Ken Jennings' raspy voice. He doesn't have the voice or the personality for this role.
Similar sentiments were conveyed when Drew Carey replaced the late Bob Barker on The Price Is Right back in 2007. Like that show, Jeopardy! is such an institution that I believe substance will ultimately trump style. After a couple weeks, I'm having no problem with Jennings. I have to admit, however, that I'm eager to see Aaron Rodgers guest host. :8)

- Sydney J. Harris

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:12 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:40 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Similar sentiments were conveyed when Drew Carey replaced the late Bob Barker on The Price Is Right back in 2007. Like that show, Jeopardy! is such an institution that I believe substance will ultimately trump style. After a couple weeks, I'm having no problem with Jennings. I have to admit, however, that I'm eager to see Aaron Rodgers guest host. :8)
Nitpicking the conversation here, but Bob Barker isn't late. He's still alive. When I attended The Price Is Right last year before Covid, some fellow audience members also thought he had passed, which he hadn't.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:31 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:12 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:40 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Nitpicking the conversation here, but Bob Barker isn't late. He's still alive. When I attended The Price Is Right last year before Covid, some fellow audience members also thought he had passed, which he hadn't.
D'OH! :-?

Howzabout Bob Barker, late of The Price Is Right? :razz

- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic