Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Conan To End TBS Show

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
sfpcc

Conan To End TBS Show

Post by sfpcc » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:23 pm

Conan O' Brian will end his TBS show at the end this season. He''s moving on to HBO Plus for some kind of variety show. When his show went to a half hour I stop watching it, (I kind of moved on to Jimmy Fallon.)

Deleted User 4520

Re: Conan To End TBS Show

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:54 pm

Conan was a good talent. His move from NBC was a mistake I think.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:36 am

His choice at the time was to remain with the Tonight Show, which would have been backed up to a 12:05 start (NBC planned to move Jay Leno to 11:35 for a half-hour show). Conan balked at the idea because he felt it compromised the integrity of the Tonight Show, which started no later than 11:35 since its inception. Had he taken the NBC deal, Leno would have been inched out at the end of his contract and Tonight would have resumed its 11:35 start. Conan's other complaint was that the NBC censors were more stringent about the content when he moved up from 12:35. The TBS contract, although it paid much less than his NBC deal, basically gave him free reign. That being said, the move to a cable network gave him nowhere near the audience he had at NBC.

That whole situation was mishandled from the get-go. NBC signed Conan to a multi-year contract with the guarantee that he would get the Tonight Show after (I believe) two more years hosting Late Night. Only problem was Jay Leno wasn't ready to retire and leave the game. When Leno entered talks with Fox and ABC about a possible competing slot, NBC got spooked and offered him the 10 pm slot with a new contract. His prime-time show tanked, so they had to move him back to a late-night slot or take a bath on the contract and risk him popping up on a competing network. It was a debacle that never should have gone down the way it did.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:06 pm

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:14 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:36 am
His choice at the time was to remain with the Tonight Show, which would have been backed up to a 12:05 start (NBC planned to move Jay Leno to 11:35 for a half-hour show). Conan balked at the idea because he felt it compromised the integrity of the Tonight Show, which started no later than 11:35 since its inception. Had he taken the NBC deal, Leno would have been inched out at the end of his contract and Tonight would have resumed its 11:35 start. Conan's other complaint was that the NBC censors were more stringent about the content when he moved up from 12:35. The TBS contract, although it paid much less than his NBC deal, basically gave him free reign. That being said, the move to a cable network gave him nowhere near the audience he had at NBC.

That whole situation was mishandled from the get-go. NBC signed Conan to a multi-year contract with the guarantee that he would get the Tonight Show after (I believe) two more years hosting Late Night. Only problem was Jay Leno wasn't ready to retire and leave the game. When Leno entered talks with Fox and ABC about a possible competing slot, NBC got spooked and offered him the 10 pm slot with a new contract. His prime-time show tanked, so they had to move him back to a late-night slot or take a bath on the contract and risk him popping up on a competing network. It was a debacle that never should have gone down the way it did.
Yes, that was a major blunder by NBC, and Conan got screwed, big time. I felt bad for him since I think he would have been a good Tonight Show host. But, Leno was doing such a similar show at 10:00, and people did not want to see The Tonight Show at 10:00 and 11:35.

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:34 pm

His show on MAX (formerly HBO MAX) is in the works but has been held up by the writers strike. It will be a travel oriented show where he meets up with the non-celebrities he has talked to on his podcast. I wondered for awhile if he would return to TV since he has built an impressive podcast empire.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic