Acceptable registrations in the queue through January 10 at 7:30a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Alex Trebek dies at 80.

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
radioandtventhusiast
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Alex Trebek dies at 80.

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:25 pm

Alex Trebek died this morning after his courageous battle with pancreatic cancer. He's hosted Jeopardy since 1984. He was one of the greats to host any game show and will be very much missed. May he R.I.P.



matt1
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Re: Alex Trebek dies at 80.

Post by matt1 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:43 am

NOT to mention "The Wizard Of Odds", "High Rollers", "Double Dare" & "Classic Concentration" (May 1987 till November 1991).



User avatar
moldyoldie
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:04 am
Location: On that thar' interweb jobber

Re: Alex Trebek dies at 80.

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:34 am

Terrible loss to television who'll certainly be missed by all who love the greatest game show that ever was. |I RIP

I was wondering to myself if Sony might approach erstwhile Jeopardy! uber-champion Ken Jennings to be the new host; he's apparently now employed on the show's staff.


"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

User avatar
Luke
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:46 am

Re: Alex Trebek dies at 80.

Post by Luke » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:04 pm

Looks like George Stephanopoulos is interested

https://www.thewrap.com/george-stephano ... ws_5550960



User avatar
Calvert DeForest
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78

Re: Alex Trebek dies at 80.

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:37 am

Tragic loss! Stage 4 pancreatic cancer tends to be fatal in a matter of months. The fact that Alex not only survived the diagnosis for over a year and a half and continued to work until just a few weeks before his passing is a testament to the human spirit. Alex made Jeopardy his own, and dedicated himself to the show through the worst of personal circumstances. Truly this wasn't just a job for him, but a passion. Jeopardy is the last real quiz program, and although it won't be the same without Alex Trebek, he has helped build a legacy that will endure as the show moves forward.

I had heard that the pre-taped shows with Alex will air through late December. Ken Jennings would be the logical choice to succeed Alex as host. He is easily the second-most identifiable name in Jeopardy history, and has the likeable enthusiasm for the role. How could George Stephanapolous even think he's in contention? The dude has no connection to Jeopardy, let alone any game show experience (being a celebrity contestant doesn't count).


If you ask who I'm voting for, I'll tell you I'm voting for the person I'm voting for.

ftballfan
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Alex Trebek dies at 80.

Post by ftballfan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:53 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:37 am
Tragic loss! Stage 4 pancreatic cancer tends to be fatal in a matter of months. The fact that Alex not only survived the diagnosis for over a year and a half and continued to work until just a few weeks before his passing is a testament to the human spirit. Alex made Jeopardy his own, and dedicated himself to the show through the worst of personal circumstances. Truly this wasn't just a job for him, but a passion. Jeopardy is the last real quiz program, and although it won't be the same without Alex Trebek, he has helped build a legacy that will endure as the show moves forward.

I had heard that the pre-taped shows with Alex will air through late December. Ken Jennings would be the logical choice to succeed Alex as host. He is easily the second-most identifiable name in Jeopardy history, and has the likeable enthusiasm for the role. How could George Stephanapolous even think he's in contention? The dude has no connection to Jeopardy, let alone any game show experience (being a celebrity contestant doesn't count).
Ken Jennings is already in-house. He joined the Jeopardy team earlier this year



User avatar
rugratsonline
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:20 pm

Re: Alex Trebek dies at 80.

Post by rugratsonline » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:14 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:37 am
The fact that Alex not only survived the diagnosis for over a year and a half and continued to work until just a few weeks before his passing is a testament to the human spirit.
Alex died a mere ten days after he taped his final episode.
Calvert DeForest wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:37 am
I had heard that the pre-taped shows with Alex will air through late December.
Alex's final Jeopardy is scheduled to air Christmas day.
Calvert DeForest wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:37 am
Ken Jennings would be the logical choice to succeed Alex as host. He is easily the second-most identifiable name in Jeopardy history, and has the likeable enthusiasm for the role.
ftballfan wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:53 am
Ken Jennings is already in-house. He joined the Jeopardy team earlier this year
He's the show's Associate Producer. With that connection, and his recent announcement that he's retiring as game show contestant, there's speculation that he's first in line to succeed Alex.



User avatar
Calvert DeForest
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78

Re: Alex Trebek dies at 80.

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:22 pm

Alex's final week is now scheduled to air January 4th-8th. Best of Jeopardy episodes featuring the most memorable shows of the Trebek era will air the weeks of December 21st and 28th. Ken Jennings will begin his stint as interim host Monday, January 11th. Not sure how long his initial run will be, but there will be a rotation of fill-in hosts for the time being. LeVar Burton and Anderson Cooper have also been mentioned as possible fill-in's. LeVar I could see. Anderson...um...no.


If you ask who I'm voting for, I'll tell you I'm voting for the person I'm voting for.

fuzzpower
Posts: 1010
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Re: Alex Trebek dies at 80.

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:10 pm

Hopefully Steve Harvey is not considered. He was horrendous on Millionaire.



km1125
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:09 pm

Re: Alex Trebek dies at 80.

Post by km1125 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:30 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:10 pm
Hopefully Steve Harvey is not considered. He was horrendous on Millionaire.
Agreed. He should stick with Family Feud. He's pretty good on that.



radioandtventhusiast
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: Alex Trebek dies at 80.

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:46 pm

I love Steve on Family Feud, but he'd be terrible on Jeopardy. He's loud, energetic, and doesn't have the best grammar for what a show like Jeopardy needs. And yes, he was terrible filling in on Millionaire.



User avatar
Calvert DeForest
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78

Re: Alex Trebek dies at 80.

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:25 am

Steve Harvey is a comedian by trade. Family Feud is a comedy-themed game show. Jeopardy is a focused quiz program. A comedian cracking one-liners would not fly in that environment. Even if he was under consideration (which is unlikely), I doubt Steve Harvey would even consider the gig, as he would have to tone down his personality to the point where he couldn't do the trademark comedy he's ultimately known for.


If you ask who I'm voting for, I'll tell you I'm voting for the person I'm voting for.

radioandtventhusiast
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: Alex Trebek dies at 80.

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:28 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:25 am
Steve Harvey is a comedian by trade. Family Feud is a comedy-themed game show. Jeopardy is a focused quiz program. A comedian cracking one-liners would not fly in that environment. Even if he was under consideration (which is unlikely), I doubt Steve Harvey would even consider the gig, as he would have to tone down his personality to the point where he couldn't do the trademark comedy he's ultimately known for.
Putting him on Jeopardy would be a waste of his talents. Same with Wayne Brady.



User avatar
G G
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:08 pm
Location: Northville

Re: Alex Trebek dies at 80.

Post by G G » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:51 am

Jeopardy is coming to Netflix this month.


"Every day I wake up determined to deliver a better life for the people all across America that have been ignored, neglected and abandoned."

~President Donald J. Trump

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic