Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hockey Night In Canada Apologizes For Don Cherry's Racist Rant

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Hockey Night In Canada Apologizes For Don Cherry's Racist Rant

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:56 pm

I certainly do. Trudeau is a piece of shit. One piece of shit does not excuse another piece of shit. (And Trudeau is a much bigger piece of shit than Cherry.)

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:36 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:55 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:46 pm
fuzzpower wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:10 pm
Cherry will be offered another job. Whether he wants it or not is another thing.

If he'd just renounce his Canadian citizenship, there might be a job offer in the Trump cabinet.
Do you feel the same way about blackface Trudeau?
Trudeau is just another sleazy liberal. The blackface revelations did nothing to alter my opinion of him. He remains just another sleazy liberal.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:25 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:45 pm
Cherry insinuated that immigrants weren’t “good Canadians” because he saw so few people in downtown Toronto wearing poppies ahead of Remembrance Day, during a Coach’s Corner segment of Hockey Night in Canada.
“You people … love our way of life, you love our milk and honey. At least you could pay a couple of bucks for a poppy.”

He then began pointing his finger at the camera,
“These guys paid for your way of life, the life you enjoy in Canada. These guys paid the biggest price.”
He's just talking about his observations. Are you saying they're not accurate?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:56 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:25 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:45 pm
Cherry insinuated that immigrants weren’t “good Canadians” because he saw so few people in downtown Toronto wearing poppies ahead of Remembrance Day, during a Coach’s Corner segment of Hockey Night in Canada.
“You people … love our way of life, you love our milk and honey. At least you could pay a couple of bucks for a poppy.”

He then began pointing his finger at the camera,
“These guys paid for your way of life, the life you enjoy in Canada. These guys paid the biggest price.”
He's just talking about his observations. Are you saying they're not accurate?
I'm not the one who made the decision to fire him. I never even, once in my life, watched his program.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:57 pm

There's a petition on change.org for Sportsnet to reinstate him. As of 2 hours ago, it already had obtained 200,000 signatures! Considering we're talking about a country with barely over 10 percent the population of the US, and assuming the vast majority of signatures are from Canadians, then that is an INCREDIBLE number of signatures to get in just 2 days.

I'm telling you - there is a significant number of Canadians who like Cherry and DO NOT like this decision.

On a side note - if you find yourself being genuinely offended by something said by a sportscaster, then you may need psychiatric help.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:45 am

That's less than 10%, and like in the US with Trump Deplorables, it's probably a bunch of old white men and their ignorant sons who haven't been paying attention to the world changing around them.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:26 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:45 am
That's less than 10%, and like in the US with Trump Deplorables, it's probably a bunch of old white men and their ignorant sons who haven't been paying attention to the world changing around them.
Unlikely. Did you even watch any interviews? They had people of all kinds supporting Cherry, or at least understanding his free speech. I know laws in Canada are different, but still, many believe in that free speech. There’s also the fact the Trudeau government gave money to bail some of the media groups. Government in bed with the media is not a good thing, no matter what side of the spectrum you are. I’ll stop there because this is not the political forum (something troll TC Talks still can’t comprehend).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:09 am

Wednesday Night, in separate interviews with CityNews in Toronto and the CBC, Mr. Cherry now says he "regrets using language that was hurtful to anyone" and that if he had been made aware of the inappropriate nature of his remarks during Saturday night's broadcast, he would have apologized on the air that evening.

While I certainly hope his change in heart is sincere, I cannot help but have doubts. The prior three days, he stated he would not be walking back any of his comments. (Interestingly, he now says he wanted to go on the air to clarify his remarks, which differs from what he stated earlier in the week.)

Would not at all surprise if the Royal Legion played a role in Cherry softening his attitude on the matter; they issued a press release early this week repudiating his remarks.

CityNews interview:

CBC News interview:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic