Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hockey Night In Canada Apologizes For Don Cherry's Racist Rant

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
Turkeytop

Hockey Night In Canada Apologizes For Don Cherry's Racist Rant

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:51 pm

Sportsnet, Ron MacLean apologize for Don Cherry's 'discriminatory' remarks

Sportsnet, as well as Hockey Night in Canada host Ron MacLean, both apologized Sunday after commentator Don Cherry complained on national television on Saturday that he rarely sees people he believes are immigrants wearing poppies ahead of Remembrance Day.

Sportsnet president Bart Yabsley says Cherry's comments are offensive and discriminatory.

Yabsley says the network has spoken to Cherry about the severity of his comments.

The 85-year-old Hockey Night in Canada personality made the remarks during his weekly Coach's Corner segment, singled out new immigrants in Toronto and Mississauga, Ont., where he lives, for not honouring Canada's veterans and dead soldiers.

MacLean, Cherry's long-time co-host on Coach's Corner, addressed the comments during an opening statement on Rogers Home Town Hockey.

"Don Cherry made remarks which were hurtful, discriminatory and flat-out wrong.... I sincerely apologize and I wanted to thank you [the audience] for calling me and Don out on that last night."

Cherry's comments prompted a swift online backlash on Saturday night, with many calling for his firing.

Cherry did not respond to multiple phone calls seeking comment.

Hockey Night in Canada used to be a long-time CBC Saturday night staple. The show and its games moved to Sportsnet when Rogers landed a 12-year, $5.2 billion US national broadcast rights deal with the NHL that began in 2014.

Hockey Night in Canada used to be a long-time CBC Saturday night staple. The show and its games moved to Sportsnet when Rogers landed a 12-year, $5.2 billion US national broadcast rights deal with the NHL that began in 2014.

'There is no "you people,"' NDP Leader says

Among the online responses was from federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh.

"There is no 'you people,'" Singh tweeted after posting a photograph of his great-grandfather, who he said served under the British in both the First and Second World Wars. "We're all as Canadian as the next. We honour all who served."

Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie called Cherry's comments "despicable."

Toronto Mayor John Tory implored Cherry to come to Old City Hall on Remembrance Day to "see thousands of Canadians of all ages, nationalities, faiths and backgrounds" who honour veterans.

Former Liberal MP and previous Ontario Premier Bob Rae also weighed in.

"Cherry's remarks were ignorant and prejudiced, and at this point in our history can't go without comment."

Cherry made his comment prior to running his annual Remembrance Day video montage, where he is seen walking through a military cemetery in France visiting the graves of Canadian soldiers who went to battle in the First World War.

Poppies are sold every year starting on the last Friday in October until Remembrance Day on Nov. 11 by The Royal Canadian Legion to raise money in support of veterans and their families.

Another response to Cherry's comments came from Paula Simons, an independent senator from Alberta.

She wrote that it has not been her experience that new immigrants don't wear poppies or appreciate the tragedies of war, and further condemned the sentiment behind Cherry's remarks.

"We don't honour the sacrifice of those who died in battle by sowing division or distrust," Simons wrote.

Rumours circulated about the possibility of Cherry being cut from Coach's Corner earlier this year after a Toronto Sun columnist wrote that his return to the show had not been confirmed by the summer.

Cherry said at the time that he was not retiring from the decades-old show yet.
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/sp ... -1.5354927

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Hockey Night In Canada Apologizes For Don Cherry's Racist Rant

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:15 am

If he refuses to apologize on-air, he should be fired.

The statements issued by SportsNet and especially CBC are pathetic.

SportsNet simply said the comments were offensive & inappropriate and that they have "spoken" to Don about the severity of his remarks. (In other words, Cherry apparently got a tiny slap on the wrist.)

CBC - even though the broadcast was simulcast on their network - basically said "ain't our problem, we don't produce the broadcast." Truly pitiful!!!

While I can appreciate Mr. Cherry's concern that veterans who served bravely need to be properly recognized, to besmirch immigrants is completely uncalled for.

Cherry's act got tired a long time ago. He cannot even analyze replays coherently. He sounds like a neanderthal when he attempts to provide color commentary.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:56 pm

Yup. Good riddance!!!

The remarks from the President of Rogers SportsNet are interesting.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like Cherry maybe could've kept his job had he apologized for his bigoted remarks or admitted he was wrong to specifically reference immigrants.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/don-cherry-fired

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Cherry will be offered another job. Whether he wants it or not is another thing.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:18 pm

How can this be racist?? Are all of Canda's immigrants of only one race?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:20 pm

km1125 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:18 pm

His rant wasn't directed at all races. Just at every race except one.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:42 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:20 pm
km1125 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:18 pm
His rant wasn't directed at all races. Just at every race except one.
How so?? I didn't hear the original, but it seems like he just said "immigrants". Aren't there any immigrants of "that one" race coming into Canada?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:46 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:10 pm
Cherry will be offered another job. Whether he wants it or not is another thing.

If he'd just renounce his Canadian citizenship, there might be a job offer in the Trump cabinet.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:50 pm

How so?? I didn't hear the original, but it seems like he just said "immigrants". Aren't there any immigrants of "that one" race coming into Canada?
The remarks were xenophobic and bigoted against immigrants. His words were hurtful to a sizable segment of HNIC's audience.

BTW, the whole presumption that only people who walk around wearing poppies are supportive of veterans is a preposterous presumption on Cherry's part in the first place!

thekman

Post by thekman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Did Don simply say that he wishes more immigrants wore poppies? Forgive me, I haven’t seen an exact quote.

I don’t find that particularly xenophobic or racist. It’s an old guy wishing the new generation was more appreciative of prior sacrifices. I’m sure many people are supportive of veterans without wearing poppies, but isn’t that the point of Remembrance Day? A day to be public and vocal and do obvious things like wear poppies, so that the appreciation is noted and heard loud and clear by those that are too often not hearing it.

He’s said way worse things about Swedish hockey players and their style of play. But no worries, we’re now all safe from Don Cherry and his pesky words. Everyone can sleep safe tonight, one step closer to utopia now that the big, mean man will go away.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:42 pm

No, he didn't simply say that. He basically berated all Canadian immigrants (i.e. "you people...who come here!") and accused them of being unpatriotic simply because he didn't like what he saw when he took a stroll through a local shopping mall and perhaps through downtown Mississauga.

He could've used the moment to advocate for his cause and speak about the great work the Canadian Legion does. Instead, he made a jackass out of himself. Then, when given an opportunity to apologize or to say he chose some of his words poorly, he refused!
A day to be public and vocal and do obvious things like wear poppies, so that the appreciation is noted and heard loud and clear by those that are too often not hearing it.
If he said what you just said, it would've been constructive and perfectly appropriate.
He’s said way worse things about Swedish hockey players and their style of play. But no worries, we’re now all safe from Don Cherry and his pesky words. Everyone can sleep safe tonight, one step closer to utopia now that the big, mean man will go away.
I guess I don't know why you feel he should be given a free pass. It's not as if he was good at his job anyway. The guy babbled incoherently half the time.

Also, to compare a criticism (or a dislike) of the general style of play in Swedish hockey to a baseless & offensive accusation of the morals of a large segment of Ontario's population is asinine.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Cherry insinuated that immigrants weren’t “good Canadians” because he saw so few people in downtown Toronto wearing poppies ahead of Remembrance Day, during a Coach’s Corner segment of Hockey Night in Canada.
“You people … love our way of life, you love our milk and honey. At least you could pay a couple of bucks for a poppy.”

He then began pointing his finger at the camera,
“These guys paid for your way of life, the life you enjoy in Canada. These guys paid the biggest price.”

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:52 pm

Raleigh,North Carolina approves of SportsNet's human resource department's action

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:55 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:46 pm
fuzzpower wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:10 pm

If he'd just renounce his Canadian citizenship, there might be a job offer in the Trump cabinet.
Do you feel the same way about blackface Trudeau?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic