Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

A CBS News anchor shake-up could be in the works

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
Deleted User 4520

A CBS News anchor shake-up could be in the works

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:40 pm

Deleted User 14935

Re: A CBS News anchor shake-up could be in the works

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:16 pm

Does anyone really watch CBS News?

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:27 pm

Yes, it's on after TV5 News at 6 and don't feel like changing the channel...lol

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:17 pm

TheForce wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:27 pm
Yes, it's on after TV5 News at 6 and don't feel like changing the channel...lol
I usually look for the X- Rated Movie Channel, It’s a hell of a lot better than the news.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:46 pm

I trust CBS for objectivity more than I trust Fox News or CNN.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:20 pm

In all honesty, I really don’t trust any of them. They all have their own spin on a story, Now my brother swears that CBC News out of Canada is more honest about American News stories.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:20 pm

I believe that. They have no stake in our politics other than as an ally and trade partner. I do watch/listen to CBC News from time to time, but my foreign news source is typically BBC.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:34 am

This will be fun to watch. Susan Z is something of a legend at CBS News. As their go-to producer, at one time or another she's handled just about everything in the building over the years, made a ton of money for the company producing the "48 Hours"-type programming and was the inspiration for the Holly Hunter character in "Broadcast News".

Glor does appear to be struggling, some of which isn't his fault. For the flagship news broadcast there's an ungodly amount of tech screw-ups, missed cues, wrong tape rolls and erroneous Chyrons. At the end of the day however, it's his name and face on the marquee.

While O'Donnell might be the obvious choice, the shop has a pretty deep bench. A number of folks from the CBSN side could get the big chair. Elaine Quijano, Vlad Duthiers or Reena Ninan could conceivably step in. After being recently reassigned from being a foreign correspondent back to New York, David Begnaud looks like he's groomed by handling the weekend now. I also suspect they might also be looking at outside talent as well.

The company still has a solid news division and if anyone can turn it around Z is the person to do so. As I said, should be fun to see how it shakes out.

kager

Post by kager » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 am

I like Glor, but maybe he's not 'shiny' enough. CBS has nothing to be ashamed of in the news dept, but the trend generally seems to me to be more & more women filling the chairs.

If anyone is struggling, it's CNN.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:11 pm

The turnover at CBS in that anchor chair has turned its already frail Evening News brand into a laughing stock.

Jeff Glor does a fine job. Replacing him would be a travesty, IMO.

Sadly, the reason CBS is in third place is because they don't sensationalize the evening news like NBC and ABC do. They also don't cater to the short attention span crowd like NBC and ABC do.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:39 pm

Well said, NBC is the worst of the two.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:04 pm

I'm in 100% agreement with MW on this one - Of the 3 major network newscasts, CBS is the only one I can tolerate - their presentation of the day's events is far more neutral than that of ABC or NBC (unlike Steve, I actually find ABC to be the worst, but NBC is a close second). Glor is a solid anchor and I see no reason for him to go.

I'm also not sure what "ungodly amount of tech screw-ups, missed cues, wrong tape rolls" Lester is referring to - I don't watch every night but I probably catch the first 10-15 minutes of the newscast 2-3 nights a week and I never see any errors of this type, let alone an "ungodly" amount.

As to the ratings themselves, here they are for thee week of March 18:

Total Viewers:
ABC Evening News - 8.66 Million
NBC Evening News - 7.68 Million
CBS Evening News - 6.27 Million
Fox News Primetime - 2.47 Million
MSNBC Primetime - 1.72 Million
CNN Primetime - unavailable (didn't finish in Top 10 Cable networks for primetime)

Age 25-54 demo:
ABC Evening News - 1.73 Million
NBC Evening News - 1.64 Million
CBS Evening News - 1.26 Million
Fox News Primetime - 0.42 Million
MSNBC Primetime - unavailable (didn't finish in Top 10 Cable networks for primetime)
CNN Primetime - unavailable (didn't finish in Top 10 Cable networks for primetime)

The demographics are interesting to look at - For each of ABC, NBC, and CBS, only roughly 20 percent of viewers are age 25-54. For Fox News that number is only 17 percent. That means that 4 out of 5 viewers of the evening news on TV, be it cable or OTA, are either over the age of 54 or under the age of 25 (the vast majority being the latter). Given the extremely old age of these demographics, how much longer will traditional TV news even be around?

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:29 pm

I don't think television news will *entirely* vanish... however, it will radically change and evolve into more of an on-demand style of service, like YouTube: individual byte-size stories available for consumption whenever you need, as opposed to having to sit through an entire 30- or 60-minute program to see the story or stories that caught your attention in the promos earlier in the day.

In a way, news programming could be custom-tailored to the viewers' interests and needs, as well as to their neighbourhoods or towns, as opposed to being regional or national in nature.

I wonder if that might actually be a preferable method of news delivery...

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:48 pm

Is the evening news really relevant in today's world? If those nightly programs ended and just did clips on YouTube or their own website/apps, what could the networks do with that extra half hour slot? Extended the local news? Perhaps more of those Inside Edition type shows? 24/7 access to news is right at ones finger tips.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:55 pm

Ratings may be down, but 27 million people still watch the nightly news (3 networks + cable news). Number is probably closer to 30 million if you count other stations (such as PBS) not listed in the above ratings. So that is still nearly 1 in 10 Americans.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic