All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

FCC considers eliminating network non-duplication/syndex

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
80sTalkRadioFan
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: Sylvania Ohio

FCC considers eliminating network non-duplication/syndex

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:51 pm

https://www.fcc.gov/blog/upgrading-medi ... arketplace

Some interesting proposals here. Hoping Mr. Wheeler is able to convince his colleagues on the FCC to do away with some of these outdated regulations.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4637
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: FCC considers eliminating network non-duplication/syndex

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:36 pm

Not bad, but none of the good stuff will likely ever be adopted. The FCC is a joke.


MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Calvert DeForest
Posts: 914
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78

Re: FCC considers eliminating network non-duplication/syndex

Post by Calvert DeForest » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:34 am

Syndex ruined WGN-TV nationally. WGN America is a waste of bandwidth.


YouTube is like a sponge that absorbs ego.

User avatar
WOHO
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:05 am
Location: Cumulus has killed 1470 KHz

Re: FCC considers eliminating network non-duplication/syndex

Post by WOHO » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:32 am

Running plain ole WGN-TV as the national service was just fine with me- I'll take the Chicago news, no problem there.



80sTalkRadioFan
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: Sylvania Ohio

Re: FCC considers eliminating network non-duplication/syndex

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:48 pm

Thankfully, Syndex is not as frustrating as it used to be. In the mid 1990s Superstation WWOR 9 New York was available on cable where I lived in northwest Ohio. Well, sometimes it was available. I would see promos for movies and shows scheduled to air but because of Syndex, the "WOR-EMI Service" had to preempt much of WWOR's broadcasts outside of the New York area. You never knew if what you saw in the promos would actually be available for you to watch. Thank goodness for the internet where you can watch almost anything without such restrictions. Want to watch WGNTV news or other programming on the Chicago station? Chances are you can easily find it, if not on TV, somewhere online. As for WWOR, apparently it is available without blackouts or preemptions nationwide on Dish Network, along with WPIX 11 New York.



phillyb
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan

Re: FCC considers eliminating network non-duplication/syndex

Post by phillyb » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:00 pm

WGN-America became a complete waste of bandwidth this year. Absolutely NO Cubs baseball on that channel. Which was the only thing it was ever good for, IMO.

Then again, the Tribune Company seems to have blown up the Cubs anyway. They're no longer on WGN-720, either (WBBM-780 carries them now).

Charter is moving WGN up to a higher tier (they were on basic, now will be on "extended basic") and it wouldn't surprise me if they end up on one of the fringe tiers along with such audience-deprived video poo as MTV Treces or H2 or the Military Channel.



80sTalkRadioFan
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: Sylvania Ohio

Re: FCC considers eliminating network non-duplication/syndex

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:33 am

Don't know if this will have much of an impact to WGN America, but another FCC member is on board with eliminating network non-duplication and syndex, so this change might actually happen!
https://www.fcc.gov/blog/time-has-come- ... les?page=4



User avatar
rugratsonline
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:20 pm

Re: FCC considers eliminating network non-duplication/syndex

Post by rugratsonline » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:07 pm

80sTalkRadioFan wrote: In the mid 1990s Superstation WWOR 9 New York was available on cable where I lived in northwest Ohio. Well, sometimes it was available. I would see promos for movies and shows scheduled to air but because of Syndex, the "WOR-EMI Service" had to preempt much of WWOR's broadcasts outside of the New York area. You never knew if what you saw in the promos would actually be available for you to watch.
The only thing WWOR-EMI had going was the classic television that was used as replacement programming -- the same shows you would find on Me-TV, Cozi TV or Antenna TV today -- and of course, TV Land and Nick-at-Nite, back when they both still had classic TV. One of WWOR-EMI's shows in its last year on the air in 1996 was the 1960s "Dragnet", which they picked up after it left Nick-at-Nite. Their selection ran from the well-known ("The Love Boat") to the obscure (the short-lived comedy series that ran under the "Comedy Wheel" banner). However, they hardly made any effort to promote the alternate service to advertisers, as all the commercials were public response, 1-800 ads. They also made no effort to cover up any promos for shows not seen on the national feed (including all UPN shows), during the time when WWOR itself is seen nationwide. In comparison, WGN's superstation feed covered up all local commercial and promo material with national ads (including well-known advertisers) and promos for programs seen on the national feed, often timed for Eastern Time. They also carried some classic shows as replacements, but not as abundant as WWOR.



User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: FCC considers eliminating network non-duplication/syndex

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:52 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:Syndex ruined WGN-TV nationally. WGN America is a waste of bandwidth.
Sure is. :(
80sTalkRadioFan wrote:Thankfully, Syndex is not as frustrating as it used to be. In the mid 1990s Superstation WWOR 9 New York was available on cable where I lived in northwest Ohio. Well, sometimes it was available.
Surprised you had it at all. Toledo was probably the only spot in the area not to get WWOR on cable anyway (already opting for WGN in '94 as an additional channel we had to pay extra for at the time). I was more amused when I noticed WPIX on Dish Network's service recently.
I would see promos for movies and shows scheduled to air but because of Syndex, the "WOR-EMI Service" had to preempt much of WWOR's broadcasts outside of the New York area. You never knew if what you saw in the promos would actually be available for you to watch.
WGN was a little better about that, but a few times you might notice it once in a while (of course the local ads were already out the door by the time I was watching them).
Thank goodness for the internet where you can watch almost anything without such restrictions. Want to watch WGNTV news or other programming on the Chicago station? Chances are you can easily find it, if not on TV, somewhere online.
Pretty much.
As for WWOR, apparently it is available without blackouts or preemptions nationwide on Dish Network, along with WPIX 11 New York.
Nice they did that at least.
phillyb wrote:WGN-America became a complete waste of bandwidth this year. Absolutely NO Cubs baseball on that channel. Which was the only thing it was ever good for, IMO.

Then again, the Tribune Company seems to have blown up the Cubs anyway. They're no longer on WGN-720, either (WBBM-780 carries them now).
They pretty much destroyed what significance that station has had for decades.
Charter is moving WGN up to a higher tier (they were on basic, now will be on "extended basic") and it wouldn't surprise me if they end up on one of the fringe tiers along with such audience-deprived video poo as MTV Treces or H2 or the Military Channel.
Sounds like what Buckeye Cablesystem has done for years.
rugratsonline wrote:The only thing WWOR-EMI had going was the classic television that was used as replacement programming -- the same shows you would find on Me-TV, Cozi TV or Antenna TV today -- and of course, TV Land and Nick-at-Nite, back when they both still had classic TV. One of WWOR-EMI's shows in its last year on the air in 1996 was the 1960s "Dragnet", which they picked up after it left Nick-at-Nite. Their selection ran from the well-known ("The Love Boat") to the obscure (the short-lived comedy series that ran under the "Comedy Wheel" banner). However, they hardly made any effort to promote the alternate service to advertisers, as all the commercials were public response, 1-800 ads.
Sounds so bland (WGN at least managed to keep their "SuperStation" afloat at all).
They also made no effort to cover up any promos for shows not seen on the national feed (including all UPN shows), during the time when WWOR itself is seen nationwide. In comparison, WGN's superstation feed covered up all local commercial and promo material with national ads (including well-known advertisers) and promos for programs seen on the national feed, often timed for Eastern Time. They also carried some classic shows as replacements, but not as abundant as WWOR.
They were on the ball with that at least, not that if they had slipped up now and then but I wish they did! :lol:



User avatar
Calvert DeForest
Posts: 914
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78

Re: FCC considers eliminating network non-duplication/syndex

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:00 am

One thing Dish Network always had going for it was the Superstation package. When I had it, they offered WWOR, WPIX, WSBK, KTLA and KWGN for an extra $5/month. It wasn't heavily advertised, but it was there for the asking. Also, I don't recall any syndex restrictions on those feeds....it was pretty much whatever the stations were sending OTA. I don't know how Dish got away with it, except that the marketing of the package was so low-key, locals didn't bother to challenge it (if they even knew it existed in the first place). DirecTV, to my knowledge, offered no such package, and I don't even know if Dish still has it.


YouTube is like a sponge that absorbs ego.

Spartans76

Re: FCC considers eliminating network non-duplication/syndex

Post by Spartans76 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:23 pm

KTLA is good television



Love Pink

Re: FCC considers eliminating network non-duplication/syndex

Post by Love Pink » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:04 am

Would somebody here be so kind as to translate and sum up in dumb people terms what this all means for us consumers? Pretty please.



User avatar
RingtailedFox
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:11 pm
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Contact:

Re: FCC considers eliminating network non-duplication/syndex

Post by RingtailedFox » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:38 pm

alrighty, pink. i'll try to do my best. let's use a fictional media market in the middle of Lake Erie.... say, Pelee Island.

WFOX-TV 37 runs an independent format during the day and is a FOX or WB or UPN affiliate for prime time, serving the toledo market. It's reasonably popular, as far as late 1980s/early 1990s independent stations go. However, while it does have cable coverage in Toledo and Port Clinton (and if it's lucky, even farther out, like Detroit, Cleveland, and Mansfield, as a regional super station of sorts), the "superstations" (WGN Chicago, KTLA Los Angeles, WSBK Boston, WPIX and WWOR New York, and what is now WPCH Atlanta) are also available on cable, and they too offer a lot of the same prorgamming, and during prime time they're affiliates of the same network. it gets worse when neighbouring market stations are members of the same network, like WKBD Detroit or WUAB Cleveland, and are also on cable!

Thanks to the superstations' wide reach, they'll easily eat WFOX's lunch in regards to advertisers.. who will then think "well, why should we bother with WFOX when we can get national (or at least, regional) coverage for our commercials with one of the superstations.

SO... in 1990 or so, the FCC introduced "Syndication Exclusivity". that means the local cable providers (in this case, say... "Pink Cablecasters Ohio"), which stated that Pink Cable would have to either copy WFOX over the superstations' programing when they are the same, switch the superstations to alternate prorgamming (like QVC or classic shows, as mentioned before), black out the prorgamming entirely (with a slide or screen that says "WGN-TV (or WB Network) Programing Blacked out due to FCC Restrictions, but can be seen on WFOX-TV 37"), or even drop the station from its cable lineup entirely (rather extreme, but it happened to several 'regional superstations' like WTTV Indianapolis, WKBD Detroit, CBET Windsor...)

This is partly why "Superstation WGN" was split from WGN-TV Chicago and became its own network, WGN America... and why WWOR EMI (Eastern Microwave, Inc) was discontinued and replaced with the local New York City feed.

So, if WFOX-TV was feeling like WSBK or WGN were taking away too much revenue, they could ask Pink Cable to do one of the things above for the out-of-market stations.

Now, this does not apply for markets that don't have an affiliate of their own... the FCC is fine with allowing cable and satellite providers to haul in out-of-market stations and superstations for veiwers that would otherwise not get to see these shows...


~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: FCC considers eliminating network non-duplication/syndex

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:34 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:One thing Dish Network always had going for it was the Superstation package. When I had it, they offered WWOR, WPIX, WSBK, KTLA and KWGN for an extra $5/month. It wasn't heavily advertised, but it was there for the asking. Also, I don't recall any syndex restrictions on those feeds....it was pretty much whatever the stations were sending OTA. I don't know how Dish got away with it, except that the marketing of the package was so low-key, locals didn't bother to challenge it (if they even knew it existed in the first place). DirecTV, to my knowledge, offered no such package, and I don't even know if Dish still has it.
I know at least last year they had WPIX. I suppose being low-kind and not promoting it helped out a lot from being challenged by those local stations.

RingtailedFox wrote:Now, this does not apply for markets that don't have an affiliate of their own... the FCC is fine with allowing cable and satellite providers to haul in out-of-market stations and superstations for veiwers that would otherwise not get to see these shows...
Like when Buckeye Cable tried to do that with Detroit's Ion station a while back.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic