Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Pro-Palestinian terrorist protesters take over Columbia University building

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
radiofann

Re: Pro-Palestinian terrorist protesters take over Columbia University building

Post by radiofann » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:49 pm

Some states and cities have a law stating protesters cannot wear masks obscuring identities in public. I sure wish that law would be adopted more widely because if these criminals did not have the ability to hide their identity it would deter their criminal intentions immensely.

And don’t say mask is for COVID mitigation. COVID is over. If you’re immune compromised you should not be shoulder to shoulder with other masses of criminals. Stay home in mommas basement and play your video games.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:18 pm

One more thought: how can any of the left wing professors who radicalize these students at Columbia and other universities, how can they even think to work for and take a paycheck, benefits, medical care and pension from the same university that is complicit with the Military industrial complex partnering with Israel conducting genocide in Palestine? Or the other campus employees, administrators, etc.

The students should be chanting : “Shame on the professors, just like Biden, they can’t hide, they are part of genocide”

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:51 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:43 pm
I actually view this as the leadership of Brown winning. They get the camp dismantled, and they say they'll vote on divesting in 4-5 months, at which time this will have been forgotten.
It may be a temporary victory, but this sets an utterly horrible precedent.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:03 pm

Matt wrote:
You're delusional.
No, you're brainwashed.

Oh, and another person was attacked within a few blocks of Fuller Rd. the other day. Stay away from that area. So much for being a safe city.
Last edited by Ben Zonia on Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:04 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:51 pm
Matt wrote:
I actually view this as the leadership of Brown winning. They get the camp dismantled, and they say they'll vote on divesting in 4-5 months, at which time this will have been forgotten.
It may be a temporary victory, but this sets an utterly horrible precedent.
Peacefully ending a protest? What is success to you?
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:45 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:04 pm
Peacefully ending a protest? What is success to you?
You're going to ask me another question when you didn't answer the one I last asked you in this thread? You took issue with me calling (at least some of) the protesters "terrorists." I pointed out to you that Columbia has cancelled in-person learning and more recently has closed its campus to most people because, according to them, conditions are currently unsafe. My question to you, which you didn't answer, was "why it is currently unsafe to be on Columbia's campus if the protesters are simply peaceful people exercising their Constitutional right to free speech?"

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed May 01, 2024 3:20 am

Some of these snotty brats are probably trying to get out of taking final exams. What the heck are their parents getting for their money? 80% of them get As anyway I heard. It's a really lenient skewed curve. Maybe they would be better off under TC Talks' thumb at NMC. The Associates Degrees are often more career oriented anyway.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed May 01, 2024 5:22 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:35 am
zzand wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:51 am
Disrupting school and the government are not even in the same category.
Agreed. And for Beemer to claim they are “disrupting the entire higher education system is ludicrous…
Plus, I thought fascists hated higher public education?
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed May 01, 2024 6:20 am

UCLA seems to be the hot spot right now with a riot more or less breaking out overnight.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 01, 2024 8:05 am

"why it is currently unsafe to be on Columbia's campus if the protesters are simply peaceful people exercising their Constitutional right to free speech?"
Columbia's President acknowledged these were peaceful protesters. They didn't do damage, they disrupted.

- Again, try reading, and understand the nuisances of adjectives. Terrorists are violent, like when the Jan 6 d domestic terrorists killed cops. These protesters used words.
On Monday, the protest ended more peaceably than the one in 1968. But the students’ tactics were the same: By escalating their protest to the point where the university was unable to function, students forced the hand of administrators, who brought in the police to arrest them. Both times, the students had occupied Hamilton Hall.

The dozens of arrests on Tuesday were the culmination of two weeks of intense turmoil on Columbia’s campus.

Tensions over pro-Palestinian demonstrations were already high when Nemat Shafik, the Columbia University president, went to Washington, D.C., to testify before a congressional committee on April 17 about antisemitism on campus. Then, while she was in Washington, a group of pro-Palestinian demonstrators set up a large tent encampment in front of Butler Library on the university’s main quad to demand that the university divest from Israel.

They labeled the area their Gaza Solidarity Encampment and declared it a liberated zone, directly quoting the 1968 protests.

Dr. Shafik, still in Washington, declared in a letter to the police the next day that those protests were “a clear and present danger to the substantial functioning of the University,” though by all accounts, the encampment had been nonviolent.

As hundreds of students and other onlookers watched and rallied in support of the encampment, rows of police officers in riot gear entered campus just after 1 p.m. At least 108 students were arrested. But some of the hundreds of supporters who remained simply moved to the next lawn and started a new encampment.

Nearly two weeks later, on Monday, a faction of the protesters decided to escalate things further, after a breakdown in negotiations with Columbia and as the university began to suspend students who had not cleared the encampment by an afternoon deadline.

That night, the student protesters from the encampment, fortified by hundreds of other pro-Palestinian demonstrators who had arrived late that evening, divided into groups. One group went to Hamilton Hall.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed May 01, 2024 8:32 am

"There are a great many people in this world that hate Jews. For whatever reason, People. Hate. Jews." Where I live I am one of four Jews in town. We are all living with one eye behind us at all times. All my children have concealed carry permits and are doing so.

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Wed May 01, 2024 8:54 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 8:05 am

- Again, try reading, and understand the nuisances of adjectives. Terrorists are violent, like when the Jan 6 d domestic terrorists killed cops. These protesters used words.

Again, I’m not seeing how J6 idiots “killed cops”. Per The NY Times article in my earlier post, They were even identified as “not died in line of duty”. This talk is as dangerous as trumps talk “the election was rigged”.

Suppose I have a domestic disturbance at my home, cops come to investigate, there is a bit of a scuffle, a policeman dies of heart attack on my front porch. So who gets charged with his death? Me? 1st degree murder? Manslaughter?

Which J6 rioter got charged? DC attorney general would have loved to charge that but obviously had no case.

Or suppose I have a medical emergency at my home, ambulance comes, EMT dies of stroke on my front porch carrying me out on a stretcher. So did I murder that EMT?

Maybe we can charge the mayor of DC, and Nancy pelosi with manslaughter/negligent homicide as they did not plan for enough security and your described result was deaths, and someone needs to be held responsible.

As for “only words used by protesters”, suppose the protesters were to target you and your home in TC. Suppose they use the same words, that include camping on your lawn, breaking in with an axe, barricading themselves in, occupying your home denying you and your family the right of using your home, destruction of property, malicious intent, trespassing. Would you accept their peaceful protest at your home, if you were of were not a public figure?

I’d guess not, your home is your private residence, might even be your home office where you work and earn salary.

Columbia is a private university, not a public space at all. They disrupted other tuition paying students of the peaceful right to an education (classes forced remote, non-protesters ordered home for safety)…

The proper way to protest is to apply for a permit at city hall, they will issue permit, plan for any extra police needed, and you abide by the proper rules of public protest in terms of time, place and manner. First amendment applies, and should be peaceful and respectful.

However Columbia is not a public space. Those protesters had no right of unlawful entry, trespass, property destruction, camping in squalor. Same as the J6 protesters. Throw the same book at them.

Now if the protesters had limited their activity on public sidewalks nearby Columbia campus, we might be talking something else.
Last edited by radiofann on Wed May 01, 2024 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed May 01, 2024 8:56 am

So what do you commies have planned for May Day? Dance around the flagpole with the hammer and sickle flag?

-Author Unknown

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed May 01, 2024 8:58 am

Take your meds already

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed May 01, 2024 9:03 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 8:05 am
Columbia's President acknowledged these were peaceful protesters. They didn't do damage, they disrupted.

Nice try. You're trying to sugarcoat the situation. In the "Limited Access" to Campus announcement in big red letters on Columbia's website that I posted, the word "safety" is used. "This access restriction will remain in place until circumstances allow otherwise. The safety of every single member of this community is paramount."

There's no nuance there. The word "safety" is defined by Merriam Webster as "the condition of being safe from undergoing or causing hurt, injury, or loss." That can be read no other way than an acknowledgement by the University that the current circumstances are that there is a threat of people being hurt or injured. The notice says nothing about disruption. It says safety.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic